Speculation: We Should be Sellers

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
What this team needs is a Drew Doughty type, as in it needs Drew Doughty. He'd be the perfect fit for this team both on the ice and in the locker room.

If the Kings were willing to do a hockey trade...if I were Dubas I'd look long and hard at making that happen.
First bad night Doughty has, he'll get the Tavares treatment going forward! If I was Drew, I'd squash any trade to the Leafs, and pronto.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
What this team needs is a Drew Doughty type, as in it needs Drew Doughty. He'd be the perfect fit for this team both on the ice and in the locker room.

If the Kings were willing to do a hockey trade...if I were Dubas I'd look long and hard at making that happen.

I don’t disagree we need a player like Doughty but at 11.5 no thanks. Take my chances with Pietrangelo this offseason and see if 9.5 million reasons is enough to bring him home.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Too bad our Leafs don't have any REAL HOCKEY PLAYERS worth selling! Well, unless, they're willing to accept American pennies on the dollar.

The big 4 are overpaid, thus, teams wanting them, would also want a deep discount!

Matthews and Nylander aren’t overpaid a penny.

Reactions: DanM

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
The chances of this team doing anything noteworthy this year seem so remote. Even if they made the playoffs, what are they going to accomplish of substance? They're simply not good enough. There's no parade coming in June. So they should sell off what they can now to help them get the assets to acquire talent in a near future re-tooling effort. Anyone not in their long term plans should be a candidate for a trade.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
If Leafs were smart they would be sellers
Let's see if this management has a brain

Agreed, what I really want is for our management team to have the balls to acknowledge they misread the current group as a collective group and vow to reshape the identity of the team. This doesn’t mean trade multiple pieces of the core group but it does mean it is time to rethink the supporting cast.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but here's food for thought:

1) the leafs have only won 4 games in regulation in the last 18 games

2) the leafs have allowed 5 or more goals in 15 games this year. That's crazy!

We are NOWHERE near a cup contender. Sell, get assets and focus on building a real DEF core.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
IMO there is NOT one player on this team I would not entertain trading, that we can trade. Obviously it would have to be a Kings ransom for Austin. Even though I think he's gone July 1, 2024

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t think this team can catch them in the standings. I think they can stay ahead of a struggling Panthers team and compete with the same Bruins whom they took to seven games last season. I really don’t care how high we finish in the standings if we make the playoffs. It’s not like they wouldn’t have to play Tampa or Boston eventually anyway. Also, moving Marner, Rielly and Nylander would just be silly. Even if we rebuild those three are young enough to be effective in the next window.
There's a good chance that moving Marner to "save money" turns into the next entry in the "stupidest trades in Leaf history" list...

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Would even trade Barrie to Canes to get that 1St rounder back.
I’ve been saying this. Would also think they would be interested in spezza or Clifford as a rental and we could resign them both in the off season

Barrie spezza Clifford

Our first + vet + pick/prospect

OptimusReim

Jul 13, 2011
We can certainly use some defence, and that doesn't mean it has to be a Defence man.

Some forwards that take pride in back checking and being psychical would be a nice change of pace.

And yes, Barrie can go.

Reactions: Eye Test

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I’ve been saying this. Would also think they would be interested in spezza or Clifford as a rental and we could resign them both in the off season

Barrie spezza Clifford

Our first + vet + pick/prospect
Think Spezza and Clifford are guys you need to keep around and resign ASAP. Both of them are good vets that played with passion and didn’t give up even when the game is over. The kids need to see that day in and day out. It is a cultural thing.

Reactions: Eye Test

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
We need to sell off assets.

We should have with JVR & Bozak before, we should with Barrie right now. This team as currently constructed is doing nothing in the post season if we happen to get in, and if the management trades away more picks to try, and we don't make it, AND barrie walks for free....... they are idiots.

It's time for Dubas and co to accept that we have great pieces, and we should keep supplementing them going forward, get the roster right. This whole "our window is now" is BS. keep drafting and collecting assets to make good hockey moves.

That Kadri deal is a f***ing disaster. Our third line looks like garbage C wise, and we should have either kept Kadri or moved him for a defence piece that actually plays the position properly.

Honestly, as a fan this is so frustrating to watch. I think we will still be fine long term, but enough of watching assets walk out the door for free. Make some tough business decisions and put us in a position for success.

Reactions: Massew

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Think Spezza and Clifford are guys you need to keep around and resign ASAP. Both of them are good vets that played with passion and didn’t give up even when the game is over. The kids need to see that day in and day out. It is a cultural thing.

Ya agreed I meant as a pure rental trade. Resign both in the off-season, I think they both want to be back.

Reactions: Gabriel426

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
To be fair Dubas' first choice was to try and trade Kadri for TJ Brodie from the Flames who seems to be more of a Dman that the Leafs need, but what can you do when Naz doesn't want to go there?

You could tell Shanny "I am not going to trade him until the right deal comes along and if you don't like it to fire me right now instead of micromanaging me". I would have said the same to Shanny about Babcock in the summer (let me do my job without micromanaging).

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The board needs to step in and force Shanny to sell assets at the deadline. Then fire both Shanny and Dubas in the offseason and find competent management.

Reactions: DanM

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To be fair Dubas' first choice was to try and trade Kadri for TJ Brodie from the Flames who seems to be more of a Dman that the Leafs need, but what can you do when Naz doesn't want to go there?
Hold out for a better trade for a D who actually fills a need. Don't rush trade for Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad