Speculation: We Should be Sellers

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Mitch will go down as the one big mistake Dubas made.

Love the kid. Great hands. But at that price, you need to be able to drive your own line. Can Mitch?
Yes, did you see what he did with Marleau and Kadri in the back half of 2018?

Lenovs

Worst Pace Scenario
Oct 3, 2018
Vienna
playoffs may be a new season, but we're still stuck with this roster which can't be fixed by a heavily overpriced trade deadline addition.

write off the season, get some picks and prospects back and regroup for next year.

barrie, kapanen, marner, kerfoot, dermott. to name a few.

Reactions: hullsy47 and DanM

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I feel like with the right effort level and the type of luck/breaks you need to win a cup, this team can win a cup.

I’m growing concerned, however, that - for whatever reason, the coaching, the players, the system, the culture - this team may just not be capable of putting that effort out.

That said, I don’t want to be sellers, I want to ride this out.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Just seeing what Scandella went for there is zero chance we get a player like Manson or Dumba unless we mortgage the future.

Frankly we are not a very good team compared to TB and the Bruins. I don’t think we have a legitimate shot at the SC as currently constructed.

Time to call to as I see it:

Trade
Barrie
Kerfoot
AJ
Ceci
Spezza
Gauthier

Likely we end up top 10 and keep our pick, get another for Barrie. Free up some cap space for next year. Address the D situation finally.
What the Greene and Scandella deals show me is that if Ceci had remained healthy, we could have gotten a decent return for him. At minimum a 3rd rounder.

I wouldn't move Kerfoot, AJ or Spezza.

Barrie, if he gets somewhere in between the Martinez apparent return (2 2nds) and Coleman (27th pick from 2019, and 25th pick in 2020) id do it in a heart beat.
Gauthier id trade for any veteran 4C/4W who is on an expiring contract.
Id also add Kapanen to this, as we are stronger on the right side short and long term. Kap + Barrie should be able to get a heck of a return. Adam Larson+Gagner+Puljijarvi for Kap+Barrie as a basis makes sense for both sides.

-Edmonton right side of the future is Bear, Benning and Bouchard. Barrie could be a solid short term guy to push for this year. Him plus Nurse could be a solid pair.
- Gagner is on an expiring deal, and would be fully replaced + by Kap. Better, younger, cheaper and with term.

Next year
Hyman Matthews Nylander
AJ Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Kerfoot Puljijarvi
Engval Spezza Korshkov/Marchment/Agostino

Rielly Larson
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Liljgren

Move Dermott for either a better version of AJ (AJ+Derm) or with Holl for a better RHD.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If barrie nets a 1 + (and at his salary cap number he should) it is time to cash in. And Carolina is 1st call to get the 1 back. If you sell off 2021 1 plus(and 1st isn't enough) for Manson then you are dooming this team long term. Get the 1 back, use that 1 in offseason for jarry, georgiev whomever and trade Anderson. You do not want to be stuck in 2021 without a goalie plan and have to pay Anderson 7.5m-8m.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Our core is set in stone , Matthwes , Marner , Nylander , Tavares , Hyman . 3 out of 5 are soft players Matthews has looked better recently with his compete level , and using his size but he still needs to work on it. We need to fill the bottom 6 With Men not boys, Big bodied strong work horses. We have the skill and talent in our top 6 and I'm happy with those players as the Leafs core .

The players I would like to see moved would be , Kerfoot , Barrie , A.J , GOAT . I feel like Barrie at the TDL would be a good move the returns Dmen are getting have been pretty high and Barrie would be the best one dealt by far. We would get back some good assets in order to fill our needs. Barrie would get a 1st a prospect and probably a decent bottom 9 Forward .
Barrie Is walking for free anyways and honestly I don't think him gone makes us that much worse. As a offensive Dman getting good PP mins his numbers haven't impressed me that much. He hasn't been terrible I just don't think the team falls off a cliff with out him.

We aren't ready to win a cup this year with all our injuries we had a bad season. I think we can make the play offs SHOOT WE COULD GO ALL THE WAY but that is being optimistic

Cici is a hurt UFA he won't get anything just let him walk , GOAT if you got a 7th I'd take it. Spezza is valuable to our team, hes a good VET who has been exceeding his 700K if we could sign him for 1 M next year i'd do it.

Keffe Had a meeting Yesterday before the Pens game and told his bottom 6 he doesn't need them to score goals its nice if you can bury one but he needs them to defend and not let goals in , he needs them to ware the other teams down.

Our team needs to be bigger and stronger. Like the Blues , Pens , Bruins , Caps ; Hawks and king's in their prime . They used their big bodies to ware down the other teams and let their skilled guys put in the goals. they filled their bottom 6 with big strong MEN and not AHL plugs.

I really think we just need to beef up or bottom 6 get us a nice RHD thats defensive minded and we should be okay in the future . Once Mikheyev comes back i feel like that helps our needs big time , Mikheyev X Clifford is something I really want to see

Last edited:
Reactions: Brown Dog

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
I know hindsight is 20/20 but if we turn into sellers and write off the year trading our 1st round pick to get rid of Marleau really does sting.

Reactions: Lenovs

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
Dubas knows his job is on the line. he's going to make at least a couple of trades come trade deadline. i'm thinking 2 or even 3 new players on the team.

horner

May 22, 2007
I feel like with the right effort level and the type of luck/breaks you need to win a cup, this team can win a cup.

I’m growing concerned, however, that - for whatever reason, the coaching, the players, the system, the culture - this team may just not be capable of putting that effort out.

Ride what out.

WE SUCK

You would rather not trade Barrie and Kappy to rebuild our defence. With how drunk these GMs are at giving out draft picks it would be f***ing dumb not to get involved.

You are probably one of the people that want to throw away another 1st to yet bounced and enbarrased in the first rd again.

We are not good .

Take a step back maybe just maybe we will suck enough to win the lottery.

If we don't get into the top 10 of the draft then at least we will have assets to rebuild our defence.

If not next yr we will still be spinning our wheels.

We need to get this right

Dubas don't do something f***ing dumb.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
I hope Marner is traded, simply because of his albatross of a contract. It's been said, Marner is a great player, but his contract, mixed with the leafs team structure and cap predicament... he is simply a burden. Certainly offers flashes of upper echelon play, but not enough to warrant his contract.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
As MLSE ownership and management I would be very reluctant to be full out sellers at the TDL. Why would I want Dubas to mismanage these potential transactions and do even more damage? Have him move Barrie ( because of his UFA status) and that's it.

Ride the year out, send Dubas and his vision packing, and get a real GM with experience and a clue on how to build a competent team. I'm not getting in line for seconds....

Reactions: paulhiggins

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think it’s a pretty pathetic indictment that this team would even contemplate being a seller.
I think it’s pretty pathetic that it should even have to be discussed.
That raises red flags on the assembly of the team as a whole.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
There's a saying that goes something like this "DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS".

We obviously dont have the right mix of defensemen, so Dubas needs to fix this.

We also have a group of forwards who are severely allergic to playing any type of defensive hockey. If guys can't buy into playing defensive, then you ship their azz out and find players who will.

I like Dubas, but he needs to quit being Mr. Nice Guy and start growing a set of balls. Maybe the team would grow a set with him...

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I hope Marner is traded, simply because of his albatross of a contract. It's been said, Marner is a great player, but his contract, mixed with the leafs team structure and cap predicament... he is simply a burden. Certainly offers flashes of upper echelon play, but not enough to warrant his contract.
How much money do you figure he is worth? Reason I ask is that I think that this being the first year of the contract did limit Dubas options for adding quality supporting cast players.However,in the following seasons as the cap goes up(generally expected) his value will look better. Besides,this level of talent hasn't been a mainstay on the Leafs in quite a while.

I could argue that at present,he is worth every nickel...statistically speaking. Maybe you don't care that he is tied for 12th in PPG or is 9th in assists with about 7 less games played than those ahead of him. Check out the names of the players he is competing with. Heady company!

Maybe you think the return of players would be juicy...it better be,because this type of player really does make his linemates better. JVR,Tavares and now Matthews all had career high goal totals with Marner...that isn't coincidence!

Anyway,like all players,some days are better than others.He is a top player in this League and those guys are gonna get paid. I see him being a Leaf for a long time.

Reactions: horner

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
This is a good team though we just need Andersen to be his usual self or even just AVERAGE. Things get amplified when we're losing, nobody was complaining when we were super hot with Keefe the 1st 20 games, even when Andersen was still playing poorly during that time.

Andersen bailed this team for 3 straight years. After Babs was fired and all the discipline was gone. Say what you want about Babs but he tried to make this bunch of losers to play a right way. They got typical new coach boost but after that results are worse than during Babcock era. And they play even worse defense.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Dubas should be focused on finding the next #1 goalie. It's becoming clear Freddy is not the guy and he's likely gone after next year anyway with no obvious heir-apparent in the system. Now would seem like a good time to get ahead of this problem before we're desperate.

horner

May 22, 2007
Dubas should be focused on finding the next #1 goalie. It's becoming clear Freddy is not the guy and he's likely gone after next year anyway with no obvious heir-apparent in the system. Now would seem like a good time to get ahead of this problem before we're desperate.
What about the defence
Team defence
Giveaways
Heart
Passion

No #1 goaltender is going to fix that

I goal was on him last night.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Andersen has been bad since coming back. To throw away the season because 1 player is playing poorly is an awful choice to make. Especially when there's realistically only 1 team behind you, the Leafs would end up at like 14th. To tank the season for someone at 14 is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard . And on a final note, if a team makes the playoffs, literally anything can happen. Just look at last season with Columbus, St.Louis, Carolina and the Islanders.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
It'a probably best to address the issues over the summer. But if you're made an offer you can't refuse? Never go against the family.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I'd like to see some buying and selling to do a bit of retooling... especially the D. I doubt that happens, and on paper I thought this team was enough to do something... it's starting to look more doubtful they make the playoffs, but there is still time.

I have a feeling Dubas will try and make a couple trades still to save this season... but I'd rather they stand pat unless we easily win the deal... which I don't see happening.

This team has dug their own hole... either figure it out... or come summer there will be changes.

I think either way... we all know this summer there will be some changes... and probably at least 1 or 2 significant ones.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
St Louis sold until the team showed they were a contender.

Remember them trading off their UFAs in a playoffs spot.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

It's been obvious since January this team cant win a cup

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I'd like to see some buying and selling to do a bit of retooling... especially the D. I doubt that happens, and on paper I thought this team was enough to do something... it's starting to look more doubtful they make the playoffs, but there is still time.

I have a feeling Dubas will try and make a couple trades still to save this season... but I'd rather they stand pat unless we easily win the deal... which I don't see happening.

This team has dug their own hole... either figure it out... or come summer there will be changes.

I think either way... we all know this summer there will be some changes... and probably at least 1 or 2 significant ones.
I worry dubas is hearing it from tannenbaum
He screws the pooch on his next trade might be his last
They might not can him just send his ass back to the analytics dept

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad