Speculation: We Should be Sellers

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Dubas is on record saying has a bias about how he views defense and this is the d corps he wanted.

Its looking like a pretty bad view, I'm usually a positive poster, but its not looking good. He has overpaid on everything and the cupboard is almost empty and the team is worse

Boston will eat us alive with our PK like this

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012
This team most likely misses the playoffs by about 4-6 points. Sell now and get some draft picks and try to retool for next season. Nothing wrong with it, this current team just sucks.

Reactions: phillipmike

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Terrible injuries, bad goaltending, babcock tanking us and a weak minded team is leading me to be sellers to a degree.

I’d trade barrie for a first and a prospect if it was available.

Would have traded AJ before the injury but would trade him next year.

Keep kapanen. Kerfoot I like but I would also trade him.

Anderson is the hardest one to evaluate.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
This season is a write off. Big stink that just won't go away.
Don't have to be sellers, but open to trades to re-coup assests and re-tool in the off season and start fresh.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
The problem is the D, lets not get off track. Our D is so inept at playing defence that its so hard to roll with 4 guys on the PK and it shows.

They are getting eaten alive, and its killing the team. You had 1 job Dubas, trade Kadri for a defensive right D, instead you got a offensive first, who's so bad defensively that you have rookies and AHL d-men ahead of him on PK.

Very frustrated to see how Dufus has handled the team. We're still young but he's wasting years.

To be fair Dubas' first choice was to try and trade Kadri for TJ Brodie from the Flames who seems to be more of a Dman that the Leafs need, but what can you do when Naz doesn't want to go there?

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Terrible injuries, bad goaltending, babcock tanking us and a weak minded team is leading me to be sellers to a degree.

I’d trade barrie for a first and a prospect if it was available.

Would have traded AJ before the injury but would trade him next year.

Keep kapanen. Kerfoot I like but I would also trade him.

Anderson is the hardest one to evaluate.

So everybody to blame except Duas and Keef lol.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Need to sell Muzzin along with Barrie. Run LD next year with Mo, Dermott and Sandin. Bottom pair RD with Lilijgren. At the draft you have the picks acquired from Barrie and Muzzin along with Kapanen, AJ, Kerfoot and Marner on the table for 2 good RD.

Need to acquire a solid 3C who can kill penalties and be an effective matchup C who is capable of shadowing top 2 centermen.

This, reports coming out that Muzzin’s deal is 4x5.5. If that’s true I would rather not.

Muzzin would garner a first too.

We could have 2-3 first plus. Retool in the offseason and take it from there!

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
To be fair Dubas' first choice was to try and trade Kadri for TJ Brodie from the Flames who seems to be more of a Dman that the Leafs need, but what can you do when Naz doesn't want to go there?

I'm sure we could've still got a better defensive player then Barrie. Kerfoot was what made it interesting in a 2 for 1 and nobody even knew who Kerfoot was and now we know why.

Eye Test

Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
So everybody to blame except Duas and Keef lol.

Keefe has done well so obviously that is a no brainer and dubas has just started. Done well with what he was given. If we can get a first and prospect for barrie then the kadri trade was fine.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Rogers NEEDS playoff dollars/viewership to help recoup their ridiculous NHL rights deal. By hook or by crook they need to get in. It will affect everything downstream as well..... Raptors and Leafs budgets will be affected by the Leafs ability to play hockey into April.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Keefe has done well so obviously that is a no brainer and dubas has just started. Done well with what he was given. If we can get a first and prospect for barrie then the kadri trade was fine.

You think Dubas has done well with what he was given? Cant see Barrie getting that much, wish he would.

Keef had a hot start, lots of bad teams and coaches have that every year. Buffalo had a 10 game winning streak last season. He already looks and sounds lost about what to do with this team, and the past 20 games have been brutal.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Muzzin looks mentally exhausted from carrying the rest of our inept defensemen since Rielly went down. Ceci being injured is actually harmful as well since since Dermott has been struggling and the rest are ahl callups/rookies(Sandin is doing alright but realistically he should be the guy in the AHL for another season before making the leap. It sucks that we’ve had to kill his momentum from before the cal up) It’s not that Ceci is an amazing defenseman, it’s more that he’s at least used to high pressure situations and eating minutes.

Hopefully Muzzin picks it back up and Rielly and Ceci make it back in time for the playoffs without exhibiting too much rust. If Florida keeps sucking we should still squeak in so I’m hesitant to sell. If our core gets hot at the right time we should be able to keep pace with Boston/Tampa.

Also, I’m not on the trade Freddy bandwagon but I hope to god he’s just rusty. If he doesn’t get back to the level we know he’s capable of playing at while going into a contract year, he may cost himself a starter position with the club. Especially given Campbell has been trending well the past three seasons.

Eye Test

Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
You think Dubas has done well with what he was given? Cant see Barrie getting that much, wish he would.

Keef had a hot start, lots of bad teams and coaches have that every year. Buffalo had a 10 game winning streak last season. He already looks and sounds lost about what to do with this team, and the past 20 games have been brutal.

Yea I think barrie can get a decent return from what I’ve seen for returns this year so far. Easily.

Keefe has done very well not sure why your mentioning him? Why mention buffalo lol buffalo is dog shit

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
This, reports coming out that Muzzin’s deal is 4x5.5. If that’s true I would rather not.

Muzzin would garner a first too.

We could have 2-3 first plus. Retool in the offseason and take it from there!

Would be another bad contract from Dubas to go along with Marner and Holl deals. Muzzin has a lot of miles on him already and he has never been a good skater. 4 years is 2 years to long.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Muzzin looks mentally exhausted from carrying the rest of our inept defensemen since Rielly went down. Ceci being injured is actually harmful as well since since Dermott has been struggling and the rest are ahl callups/rookies(Sandin is doing alright but realistically he should be the guy in the AHL for another season before making the leap. It sucks that we’ve had to kill his momentum from before the cal up) It’s not that Ceci is an amazing defenseman, it’s more that he’s at least used to high pressure situations and eating minutes.

Hopefully Muzzin picks it back up and Rielly and Ceci make it back in time for the playoffs without exhibiting too much rust. If Florida keeps sucking we should still squeak in so I’m hesitant to sell. If our core gets hot at the right time we should be able to keep pace with Boston/Tampa.

Also, I’m not on the trade Freddy bandwagon but I hope to god he’s just rusty. If he doesn’t get back to the level we know he’s capable of playing at while going into a contract year, he may cost himself a starter position with the club. Especially given Campbell has been trending well the past three seasons.

Florida has a much softer schedule coming up, and you think this team can catch Tampa and Boston? They are done and they should get rid of everyone saved for Matthews.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Florida has a much softer schedule coming up, and you think this team can catch Tampa and Boston? They are done and they should get rid of everyone saved for Matthews.
I don’t think this team can catch them in the standings. I think they can stay ahead of a struggling Panthers team and compete with the same Bruins whom they took to seven games last season. I really don’t care how high we finish in the standings if we make the playoffs. It’s not like they wouldn’t have to play Tampa or Boston eventually anyway. Also, moving Marner, Rielly and Nylander would just be silly. Even if we rebuild those three are young enough to be effective in the next window.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Yea I think barrie can get a decent return from what I’ve seen for returns this year so far. Easily.

Keefe has done very well not sure why your mentioning him? Why mention buffalo lol buffalo is dog ****

Because last year Buffalo was in 1st place on a 10 game win streak in December, similar to Keef's start. And like Buffalo the wheels appear to be coming off Keef's team and he's unable to stop it.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Just seeing what Scandella went for there is zero chance we get a player like Manson or Dumba unless we mortgage the future.

Frankly we are not a very good team compared to TB and the Bruins. I don’t think we have a legitimate shot at the SC as currently constructed.

Time to call to as I see it:

Trade
Barrie
Kerfoot
AJ
Ceci
Spezza
Gauthier

Likely we end up top 10 and keep our pick, get another for Barrie. Free up some cap space for next year. Address the D situation finally.

I don't know if even the biggest deadline seller trades away 1/3 of their skaters. If this team decides to go that route, I'd expect 1/2 of that list to move by Monday, (the pending UFAs) with more changes to come in the offseason. Two more games prior to the deadline. We'll see.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The past few years I've argued for keeping the own rentals because I didn't want to send the wrong message to the team. Management should believe in them and trading good players would piss them off.

This year is different. Management needs to tell them to get their heads out of their asses and that they rightfully don't believe in them because they've been terrible all year. This team's biggest problem isn't an RHD or toughness, or backup goalies or whatever, it's between their ears. They wilt in pressure situations and don't bother showing up with an alarming frequency. More than anything, they need a kick in the pants and I'd be pretty thrilled if management sent the message that they have been garbage and don't deserve rentals.

Sign Muzzin, ship out Barrie, and sign Bogosian or something. It would be nice to recouperate the assets in a Barrie trade, but the team needs to decide if they want to make the playoffs or not. It's on the players and the last thing I want is Dubas to make a desperation move to salvage a nightmare season.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Sell sell sell boys. Barring a major overhaul and sudden health to all players we're missing...this season is going down the tubes. Move Barrie for whatever you can.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Leafs management never has done the right thing and won't start now.

WE let JVR, Bozak and Komarov walk for nothing. Did anyone really think they were serious contenders in 2017/18?

So frustrating for far too many years being a Leafs fan.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I don't know if even the biggest deadline seller trades away 1/3 of their skaters. If this team decides to go that route, I'd expect 1/2 of that list to move by Monday, (the pending UFAs) with more changes to come in the offseason. Two more games prior to the deadline. We'll see.

If we lay another goose egg on Thursday I say stick a fork in us as we are done.

I know that there are likely some players on that original list are offseason moves but I wouldn’t hesitate to make whole sale changes and dump anybody not part of the core.

Now I don’t believe this little hick up should be a death nail for Andersen but one has to start questioning what one should do regarding our goaltending situation.

The Core
AM
JT
Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Hyman
Reilly
Sandin
Liljegren

Obviously there a lot of other players I like as part of this group moving forward Engvall, Mikheyev, Dermott, Holl, Andersen, but there is a whole lot that needs to change especially on our bottom 6 and our D. The D especially.

Reactions: Buds17

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
What this team needs is a Drew Doughty type, as in it needs Drew Doughty. He'd be the perfect fit for this team both on the ice and in the locker room.

If the Kings were willing to do a hockey trade...if I were Dubas I'd look long and hard at making that happen.

Eye Test

Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Because last year Buffalo was in 1st place on a 10 game win streak in December, similar to Keef's start. And like Buffalo the wheels appear to be coming off Keef's team and he's unable to stop it.

Buffalo will buffalo, has no bearing on us at all.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Too bad our Leafs don't have any REAL HOCKEY PLAYERS worth selling! Well, unless, they're willing to accept American pennies on the dollar.

The big 4 are overpaid, thus, teams wanting them, would also want a deep discount!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad