Speculation: We Should be Sellers

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Just seeing what Scandella went for there is zero chance we get a player like Manson or Dumba unless we mortgage the future.

Frankly we are not a very good team compared to TB and the Bruins. I don’t think we have a legitimate shot at the SC as currently constructed.

Time to call to as I see it:

Trade
Barrie
Kerfoot
AJ
Ceci
Spezza
Gauthier

Likely we end up top 10 and keep our pick, get another for Barrie. Free up some cap space for next year. Address the D situation finally.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
This is a good team though we just need Andersen to be his usual self or even just AVERAGE. Things get amplified when we're losing, nobody was complaining when we were super hot with Keefe the 1st 20 games, even when Andersen was still playing poorly during that time.

Lets also not forget that we have not played a SINGLE GAME this season with a fully healthy roster. Literally not 1 game.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Just seeing what Scandella went for there is zero chance we get a player like Manson or Dumba unless we mortgage the future.

Frankly we are not a very good team compared to TB and the Bruins. I don’t think we have a legitimate shot at the SC as currently constructed.

Trade
Barrie
Kerfoot
AJ
Ceci
Spezza
Gauthier

Likely we end up top 10 and keep our pick, get another for Barrie. Free up some cap space for next year. Address the D situation finally.
Good idea
Quit
Because we may not win

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We bout our money mayne. We also have a talented group and even a couple of thugs right now. :clap: We in the playoffs resace. Hard. Might win something big this season. Even a playoff series while scoring-a-lot. We gittin our D healthy also, Rielly finna boom soon again and gloom. We ain't selling, we buying with all of our money and trading more cause WE THE RICHEST ICE HOCKEY CLUB in the world!!!!!!!!!!! Others be jelious of us and wanna be like us the word on the streets is to be heard. Heard it again tonight.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Likely we end up top 10 and keep our pick,
There's absolutely no way we could end up top 10 in the draft. We'd have to shed 8 points to get to that level now. Other teams below us are also selling, making it even harder.

Reactions: Cams

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011

Trade
Barrie
Kerfoot
AJ
Ceci
Spezza
Gauthier

No man. If we do that we will waste a year of wicked talent.

Win now!

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
I don't think we should be full on sellers.. but if the opportunity comes to move Barrie for an 'overpay' I think you do it. I can't see this guy on the team long-term.. he's a mess defensively

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't know about selling absolutely everyone but it's hard to argue that we're any more than huge long shots to win the cup so in principle, it does seem to make more sense to sell then buy. If we can get a 1st for Barrie, hard to say no at this point. Maybe wait these next couple of games against PIT who is an elite team but even then, if we play great for these two games, should we have faith they can keep it up?

Can this team best BOS and TB and WSH/PIT and STL? Anything's possible but hard to see how we have more than a 1% chance of doing that at this point.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
2 wins against the Pens before the weekend changes this entire thread. These next two games against a good team will be a tell all

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Barrie and Bracco for Manson...get it done, Dubas!
I think if that were the case the trigger is already pulled. Anaheim is done this year. Last thing they want is a rental player in Barrie that's going to go test the market. So basically Bracco for Manson. That won't get it done imo

Beneven Stanciano

Feb 18, 2020
They don't need to sell-off but they definitely need to ship some people out. The biggest problem with this team is none of these players have any heart. Especially the leadership. None of the top guys on this team are players who would do anything to win. Their skill is unbelievable, but this isn't a skill contest or all-star game, it's a hockey game & skill is only one part of it.

They need to drop their obsession with offense, they have enough. They need two guys, minimum, who don't need to put up any points, just be in the right position defensively. Think about it, if one person on the ice is always in good position it helps the other players be in good position too. If player X always maintains good position and you know where you should be off of him, it's almost 2nd nature. It's why Mike Babcock started splitting Zetterberg & Datsyuk up. Their chemistry and play together was unreal, but if you split them up and they are on two different lines, that's two lines where you can count on people being in pretty good defensive position. I know it was talk about spreading the offense out but that is just a press answer. Same thing with defenseman. When one person on the ice is in great position, as long as no one is standing directly next to him, it aides in the rest of your players being in good position.

There seems to be very little-to-zero people on the Maple Leafs who care to play the right way. I know people claim Matthews is good defensively, and at best he is just that: good. If he wants to be great, he needs to be great. They are playing like the Rich Kid teams i used to love to play in tournaments. Just make sure they don't get away with all their fancy pick-up game crap and you can roll'em because the game is no fun to them if it gets tough.

The team make up is wrong, and it's because nobody is contributing a winning attitude, no one is displaying the "enough is enough" attitude and making a change happen instead of waiting for it. Look at the veteran players they have or had, they're all players who've been good enough in their careers but not great. Marleau has never won anything what's his claim to fame, that iron man streak or how long he's been in the league and done nothing. Spezza has always been of that ilk, Dion Phaneuf the same rep. All really great NHL talents but they're just not champions

I was hopeful John Tavares would help change the culture in the locker room here but I think his personality is too muted to take over or infect a locker room. You can see that no one is really playing for each other, the locker room is either divided and people aren't playing for each other or they're all too good of buds and no one is calling anyone out and show the rest of the team "this is how you do work". I mean at the very least you think they would have emotion & motivation to prove Mike Babcock wrong, that they can win their way with their line up. Probably doesn't help to have a GM who seems to share the same mindset. I think Mike Babcock & Sheldon Keefe have been the only people who have really said "this effort is not good enough" or something to the effect. Excuses levied almost every where else.

The Leafs have a ton of talent but they have no winning culture. No one in that locker room is going to 'Big Dog' the top guys and step up and speak up, and I don't think any of the big name guys care to deliver a different message. Leafs now need culture guys, they have 0.

Reactions: coupe93

Beneven Stanciano

Feb 18, 2020
Excuse me, Hyman is that type of player, but no one is following his lead.

Attachments

• FCE7F4FB-A710-4E8B-BA1A-869C859F59F5.jpeg
    FCE7F4FB-A710-4E8B-BA1A-869C859F59F5.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 0DCDE991-41F7-459E-86B4-2A861C4ADB02.jpeg
    0DCDE991-41F7-459E-86B4-2A861C4ADB02.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 6

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
We're not going to be sellers. We will end up with third in the division, because Florida, Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa aren't good.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Barrie should be traded at the deadline. If the rumoured get is a 1st and a B level prospect he should be pulled from the game and traded now. Barrie has not played at a level this year to be a difference maker for a bubble playoff team to get in.

Mar 26, 2010
It is starting to look that way now, the writing is on the wall. This team has missed the playoffs.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Barrie should be traded at the deadline. If the rumoured get is a 1st and a B level prospect he should be pulled from the game and traded now. Barrie has not played at a level this year to be a difference maker for a bubble playoff team to get in.

Even if he has its clearly not enough. I'm in the trade him camp.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
If things continue to get worse you have to consider it. This team is a disaster in it's own zone. All offense but we aren't very hard to play against.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The team needs to be retooled significantly.

They need a massive sell off at the deadline to replenish the system.

The real philosophical question will be how to reinvent the core. Andersen and Tavares don’t look really look like solutions.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The team needs to be retooled significantly.

They need a massive sell off at the deadline to replenish the system.

The real philosophical question will be how to reinvent the core. Andersen and Tavares don’t look really look like solutions.

They are just parts. We need different parts rather than more of the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad