Speculation: We Should be Sellers

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I worry dubas is hearing it from tannenbaum
He screws the pooch on his next trade might be his last
They might not can him just send his ass back to the analytics dept

I'd like to think he's been given free rein... but who knows.

Either way... Leafs definitely need a big win on a trade. Whenever that happens.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I think Mitch will go down as the one big mistake Dubas made.

Love the kid. Great hands. But at that price, you need to be able to drive your own line. Can Mitch?

Matthews's price is even higher, with less years.

Can he drive his own line, without Tavares-Marner-Nylander? No.

With 3 that expensive guys, they should be getting 3 huuuge lines. They are not.

Marner+Matthews both have Toronto-priced contracts, with 2-3 million extra per year just for signing in Toronto.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Maybe MLSE should sell Shanahan back to the NHL head office. Maybe they should also sell Dubas back to the OHL, as a bonifide stick boy!

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

horner

May 22, 2007
I hope Marner is traded, simply because of his albatross of a contract. It's been said, Marner is a great player, but his contract, mixed with the leafs team structure and cap predicament... he is simply a burden. Certainly offers flashes of upper echelon play, but not enough to warrant his contract.
So you want to trade one of the most gifted young wingers in the league and with strength is only going to get better.
He Mathews and Hyman are one of the best combinations in the league .
When was the last time we had 100 to 110 pt wingers .
Just amazing.

Crzycnk1962

Feb 19, 2020
Just seeing what Scandella went for there is zero chance we get a player like Manson or Dumba unless we mortgage the future.

Frankly we are not a very good team compared to TB and the Bruins. I don’t think we have a legitimate shot at the SC as currently constructed.

Time to call to as I see it:

Trade
Barrie
Kerfoot
AJ
Ceci
Spezza
Gauthier

Likely we end up top 10 and keep our pick, get another for Barrie. Free up some cap space for next year. Address the D situation finally.

I agree with the players you have mentioned but I also think two of marner, nylander and Tavares need to go. Exceptional players but it’s time to admit this team was built wrong.

get some draft picks and some top end prospects..get a solid Defense established and settle that a re build is neccessary

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We're only a prime Chris Pronger away from being competitive
We are 2 defensively responsible vets away from contending+Muzzy. But those pieces are the hardest to find. No one trades those guys. You have to draft and develop them over 5+ years.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Matthews's price is even higher, with less years.

Can he drive his own line, without Tavares-Marner-Nylander? No.

With 3 that expensive guys, they should be getting 3 huuuge lines. They are not.

Marner+Matthews both have Toronto-priced contracts, with 2-3 million extra per year just for signing in Toronto.

Matthews may become the Leafs first 50 goal scorer in 26 seasons. He's scored 20% of the entire team's goals, he is most certainly not a problem.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
I think management should always play the long game with the teams assets. This year has been pretty inconsistent, no one could have high expectations even if they do make the playoffs. I would sell Barrie for sure, and look at moving out Kerfoot, AJ, or Kap, to clear space for next year. Could probably get the best return now rather than the summer. Barrie has hardly excelled and the shakeup could possibly even wake the team up and lead to improvement, and if not they are in better shape to retool in the summer.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Matthews may become the Leafs first 50 goal scorer in 26 seasons. He's scored 20% of the entire team's goals, he is most certainly not a problem.

Have you been watching the games? He is a turnover-machine, and his OZ ZS% is through the roof.

His stats have been continously pumped by playing him with Marner/Nylander/Tavares from the offensive zone.

He is so bad in his own end Keefe keeps on avoiding playing him from there, thus forcing him to play other lines at sub-optimal times in the rotation.

With the most expensive contract in the league, he should be the best player in the league, dominating the play everywhere on the ice, and certainly carrying his own line without other 11M$/7M$ players.

Check out Pittsburgh. They don't play their top2 guys together, and hand out 1-5 million dollar guys to their lines for them to carry.

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
WTF are we exactly selling? That's one of our biggest problems. We don't have trading pieces unless we want to do high-risk, medium-reward trades like trading away Marner, Nylander, Johnny T, or Matthews. Our best bet is to stand pact, and hope that our D prospects develop quickly and steady the ship. Nothing else to do really...

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I could argue that at present,he is worth every nickel...statistically speaking. Maybe you don't care that he is tied for 12th in PPG or is 9th in assists with about 7 less games played than those ahead of him.

Maybe you think the return of players would be juicy...it better be,because this type of player really does make his linemates better. JVR,Tavares and now Matthews all had career high goal totals with Marner...that isn't coincidence!

But we can't spend half the cap on 4 forwards.
If you want to keep Marner, ok, but trade Matthews and Nylander since JT has an NMC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->