GDT: WCQF GM06 | Vancouver Canucks @ Nashville Predators | Fri. May 3rd | 4pm PST | SNP/CBC | On the Road Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Thinking Nashville has the momentum and/or the series is definitely going 7 is simply a defeatist attitude from a jaded fan base.

Every game in this series has been different. The only real theme of the series has been that the team that has "deserved" to win has pretty much lost every game, which makes every game rather unpredictable. If momentum was going to carry over, it should have been an easy win for the Canucks in game 5 after the way the Preds were devastated in game 4. Instead, Nashville weathered the storm in the 1st and gutted out a win. They had every reason to quit on game 5 and didn't, so why would the Canucks quit on game 6 when they're up in the series.

There's no reason the Canucks can't bounce back from this and end it in Nashville. And there's no reason for them to share the same loser mentality some of this fanbase has (not that I blame any of us given our history). I'm not guaranteeing a win but I expect a strong effort.

"Resilient" is apparently their motto. They have a good chance to show us why.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The time zone difference is probably the worst I've seen for the Canucks in the first round in my lifetime. Even the 2011 finals had games at 5:30 PST.

Weekday 4pm PST is just straight disrespectful to the fan base in BC.

Even 6 pm on a Friday is an insane start for the home team.

If LA/Edm go to Game 6, assume that will be a 7:30pm PST start. What's the issue pushing the Canucks game to 7:30pm CST and having slight overlap for one of the games?

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
I have no faith this team can score goals, Pettersson can be something beyond the plug he is now and the canucks winning this series now

What a waste

• Haha
Reactions: Regal

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Those who hate fancy stats - look away.

Canucks' HDCF% is 61.43% (2nd highest in play-offs), yet HDSH% is 10% (lowest in play-offs). This made me go ''well, that matches the eye test'' and ''Christ'' simultaneously.

I’m beginning to think this stat is a bit garbage as it’s been cited in terms of the Canucks since the all-star break and their scoring has declined significantly (as has their winning percentage) over that period.

Reactions: theguardianII

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
EBUG. Our regular backup (Flik) is out due to food poisoning.

@Flik you dumbass, did you eat that piece of poisoned cake John Tavares gave you???!
:laugh:

8-PLYLmzU3gCrrnDZ.png

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Indiana and Flik

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’m beginning to think this stat is a bit garbage as it’s been cited in terms of the Canucks since the all-star break and their scoring has declined significantly (as has their winning percentage) over that period.

I don’t think expected goals or high danger chances properly properly account for the opponents for these chances. Earlier in the year they were getting a lot of looks on the counter attack or broken plays that led to open looks on odd man rushes. Seems like a lot more of their chances now are on the cycle with players being pressured and defensemen in the way. Similarly, I think some of Demko’s numbers in terms of goals saved in 20-21 and 21-22 don’t look as good as they probably should given how many odd man rushes the team was giving up

Reactions: Indiana

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Take a tequilla shot everytime a Canuck chooses to slap pass rather than shoot. Youll be wasted by 1st intermission and blacked out by the end of the game.

Whats the point of Hronek having a bomb of a shot if all if he is going to do is try and hit skates , hoping for a deflection with a slap pass.

Just let it rip. The fact that we have 90 shots in 5 games is absolutely pathetic especially since Saros is struggling and fighting the puck.

IMO Tochett is getting outcoached in this series. He hasnt been able to figure out how to gain the advantage in the neutral zone and have sustained attack on this Nashville defense that has the likes of Barrie, Fabbro and other plugs in it.

One last observation, Boeser sucks when it comes to Powerplay entries. The puck and play always dies on his stick when we try and gain entry on the PP. He has no clue what to do when he pass it to him in the entry and he is on the wingboard. Tochett might want to change that and have Boeser be the guy we do the drop pass too so he can be in the neutral zone with speed rather than the board guy for the entry.

I think they need to stop telegraphing the board guy on the entry. Stickhandling at a standstill isn’t Boeser’s forte, true, but he was struggling at it in large part because there’s a guy on top of him literally as he’s receiving the pass

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I’ll be in Smithers for this one. I’ll have to find a restaurant to watch it in, or gag myself in my hotel room so I don’t get the cops called on me by the other inhabitants if we get a goal. :laugh:

Just get it done, boys. Bounce back and get this thing done.
@SopelFanThe3rd Read this as if penned by C. Montgomery Burns

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
We need to score more than 1 goal than last game.
We need more shots on net, more pressure and better play.

Goaltending was not the issue last game.

Play better.

Reactions: David71

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Of course they can. Canucks can also lose 3 games in a row. It’s a game-by-game series. Anything is possible.

Yea, it’s bizarre logic. If the assumption is that it’s unlikely Nashville can lose three games at home in a row (which technically isn’t even in a row), then the assumption should also be that the Canucks are unlikely to lose three games in a row period (which are actually in a row). Nashville lost 3 at home in a row once this year. Canucks lost 3 in a row at all once this year. Everyone freaking out about this likely going 7 due to that fact should also be assured the Canucks will win in 7 by the same logic. Realistically these have all been close games and any of these remaining games can go in the Canucks or Preds favour.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Line changes are the obvious change that fans want to see because its visually easy to see that he's trying something. The bigger thing is the coaching staff needs to figure out the breakout problem.

This Nashville team isn't some stud defensive team, they were mediocre defensively during the regular season. Brunette made some adjustments come playoff time to how to play the Canucks through the neutral zone, and Tocchet has had zero answers for it so far. Even the PP is somehow struggling with getting into the zone right now.

Dumping and chasing isn't a real answer here either as it's (1) not been effective in the slightest, and (2) plays right into the Preds hands of getting the puck back quickly. The other play has often been board and out, which doesn't allow the forward to get the puck with any speed through the neutral zone, and gives the Preds infinite time to setup their neutral zone structure.

When they've had the puck in the zone, all the cracks in the Preds armor shows up. They sell out for the first shot often (goalie and dmen both), and are very susceptible to east-west passing. Its annoying to watch when it doesn't work, but the biggest issue is not the o-zone play (that was game 2 when they just fired everything blindly at the net), but getting the puck in there early enough in the shift to be able to do it more than 2-3 times a game.

EDIT: At some point, I'd also like us to have a PP advantage in this series. PPs are 19-13 at this point, which for two teams with equal zone time and shot attempts is a bit absurd. The PPs have been equal or Nashville favored every game this series so far.

Yes, be more disciplined, etc etc but come on. The only series with larger differentials are Panthers/Lightning (no idea what happened here), and the Islanders/Hurricanes (Hurricanes absolutely dominated territorially).
You'd stand a better chance of getting the flight time between cities shortened before getting equal attention from the stripes.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
We really need offensive production in the first and second periods like we had in the regular season. We have basically let Nashville hang around in every game because we haven't been able to get a lead and build on it.

Averaging 1 goal thru 40 minutes this series isn't going to get it done.

Reactions: theguardianII

rea

Feb 8, 2011
The time zone difference is probably the worst I've seen for the Canucks in the first round in my lifetime. Even the 2011 finals had games at 5:30 PST.

Weekday 4pm PST is just straight disrespectful to the fan base in BC.
It's a Friday, I'll let it pass lol

• Love

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
I expect to see more of the same from this team. This is who they’ve been for the past two months. This will likely be another low event, low scoring game. We have enough of a sample size to know that this is who this team really is. They’ve talked about getting more shots on net the whole series yet continue to show a perplexing unwillingness to shoot. The best scenario would be to try and squeak out a 1-0, 2-1 win, but I’m expecting 3-1 or 4-1 loss with a shot total under 25 again. Petey will be who he’s been for the last 25 games. Prove me wrong boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad