We can't let Da Costa go

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I like Da Costa. I like Hoffman too. At this point I would say that Hoffman hasn't done anything to warrant keeping him up over Da Costa. I'm not an expert though.

Sigh, why can't all of our young talent just stay forever. It sucks reaching the point where you've got to start picking and choosing which of these players you've watched develop is going to stay and which are going to leave.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The problem with Da Costa is he needs to be in the top 6. He doesn't at the moment fit or seem like he will ever fit there unless we're ravaged by injuries again..

A player like Hoffman can play bottom 6 and some argue that he could have the potential to play top 6. I'll take that versatility 9/10.

I don't like to lose prospects, but at this point it's looking like we aren't going to have a choice. Someone has to go. Hopefully Murray gets a deal done so we don't lose these guys for nothing via waivers.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Da Costa is an exceptional playmaker. He's pretty good when he has the puck. The problem is that he loses most puck battles. And I think that that is his fatal flaw at the NHL level.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We can't afford to lose two centres (SDC + JOB) on waivers. I could see losing one, and that should be JOB. How quickly we forget how injuries can easily decimate a team! Depth is important, and if it means sending down a guy like Pageau temporarily (VERY temporarily: it probably won't take more than a week before someone is injured and we need him back) we should do it. Move a C to the wing if you need to: Ziba, Turris, Smith, I don't care who. Since when is it bad to have two Cs on the same line anyway? Or just bench him, I don't care. But don't lose him for nothing or a low pick.

With injuries it's a quasi-certainty that there will always be room for both SDC and Pageau. Unless one of the two is injured, of course...

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I hate the idea that Pageau (among others) might not make the roster not because he didn't earn a spot but because of the status of other players' contracts. But such is life I guess. Though I totally agree that if we do have to lose someone to waivers it has to be JOB.

Even if there isn't room for Da Costa as it is (which I agree on), it's still a good idea to keep him around as an extra forward to help his stock rise and possibly have us get a return on him in the future.

Of course if DC actually manages to maintain his play against NHL caliber opposition and also converts on some of that play I might end up singing a different tune.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I agree with this thread.

All you fools who want to trade him better not come crying if he's waived and ends up as a legit top-10 2nd line center in this league!

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
He will be waived and clear waivers. Problem solved.

People always think their junk can be another man's treasure but most stuff bought at garage sales ends up in a landfill or at another garage sale.

dasboot

Jajajaja
Sep 12, 2010
Really don't understand the love for Da Costa, I saw him try and be too fancy and lose the puck numerous times last night. Pageau stood out more once again and look who he was playing with.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We can't afford to lose two centres (SDC + JOB) on waivers. I could see losing one, and that should be JOB. How quickly we forget how injuries can easily decimate a team! Depth is important, and if it means sending down a guy like Pageau temporarily (VERY temporarily: it probably won't take more than a week before someone is injured and we need him back) we should do it. Move a C to the wing if you need to: Ziba, Turris, Smith, I don't care who. Since when is it bad to have two Cs on the same line anyway? Or just bench him, I don't care. But don't lose him for nothing or a low pick.

With injuries it's a quasi-certainty that there will always be room for both SDC and Pageau. Unless one of the two is injured, of course...

What's crazy is that we had injuries and yet Da Costa and JOB still didn't play as much as they could have.

Or have you forgotten?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Some people acting like Da Costa came out of no where when in reality he was on par with guys like Oshie, Perron, Toews etc in scoring at same age.

People underestimate DaCosta's potential.

Been saying this for the last 2 years. He has always been developmentally behind those mentioned, too, coming out of a weak French program and into a fairly weak US program before getting to college hockey.

Look how he's done internationally (even against team Canada) and in the AHL. Even in his stints in the NHL he's impressed despite his lack of production. I would say that unless he's got the worst luck on the planet all the chances that he's creating are going to start producing something tangible.

I really hope that the Sens don't let Da Costa go.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Da Costa is an exceptional playmaker. He's pretty good when he has the puck. The problem is that he loses most puck battles. And I think that that is his fatal flaw at the NHL level.

IMO this is why he works so well with Michalek. Michalek does the dirty work and can win most puck battles, as well as provide scoring touch. Turris is also great in this sense.

Michalek - Da Costa - Turris is a line that could have a lot of chemistry IMO.

Conacher belongs on the top line with Spezza and Ryan anyway. He's dynamite.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
He should be given 20-30 NHL games before being waived to see where he belongs. That's what he was signed for.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Sunday is the last day to put players on waivers before Monday's deadline to be cap compliant for opening day. Should be an interesting weekend.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
IMO this is why he works so well with Michalek. Michalek does the dirty work and can win most puck battles, as well as provide scoring touch. Turris is also great in this sense.

Michalek - Da Costa - Turris is a line that could have a lot of chemistry IMO.

Conacher belongs on the top line with Spezza and Ryan anyway. He's dynamite.

Turris on the wing? You're reaching...

Da Costa couldn't put up numbers against Montreal's AHL squad with Michalek and Ryan. Conacher looked better than Da Costa last night (both are fighting for a job and should stand out over the vets).

The competition is only going to get tougher, and the pace will pick up. I don't see him replacing Spezza, Turris, Zibanejad, Pageau at this point.

Hopefully he clears waivers or Murray can get a pick for him, because he obviously has offensive talent, but if you're going to be a smallish centre in the NHL you better be fast, and he is not. He needs to be more than a great passer to make the Sens. Calgary on the other hand...

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
What's the rule on how many players you can keep on the roster? Technically, the Sens can keep all of O'Brien, Hoffman, and Da Costa and remain cap compliant.

I can't see Da Costa being waived after they just signed him to a new deal this season. If he gets claimed, they get nothing in return and they have to pay half his salary. Perhaps they can wait out the first week or so of the season when teams are figuring out they need some help asap and are willing to part with a draft pick?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Send Pageau down until you find a way to either incorporate both of them, trade Da Costa at good value, or find out Da Costa isn't worth much (waive him, or trade him for low pick).

Let Pageau center line 1 in Binghamton with a couple guys he may play with in the future...Stone, Prince, etc. Get things figured out.

AVOID the situation of trading Da Costa for a 3rd or even a 2nd and than realizing in 2 months he's already worth a 1st or something notable for another team. It's worth sending Pageau down for a bit out of necessity if this is deemed a realistic chance.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
just thinking this. The guy has all the tools but no toolbox

Doesn't "all tools, no tool box" refer to "tons of skill, no smarts".

Da Costa has tools and a tool box, in a short sample he's had no finish. There are things this player does that few in the entire organization can do. Does these little things in small spaces that keeps the puck on people's sticks. Quick thinker.

You give people like this time at all cost. He was one of the better players on the ice last night. And one of the few players that can play on Karlsson's wavelength. These things are important.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
I like him, but in a 5 goal game, on the 1st line, he got 1 point.

Henrik and Daniel got 1 point between them in this 6-1 win. So stats can be spun any way you want.
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/boxscore?id=2013010068

I don't think anyone thinks that he's the next generational talent, however ... He is close to or at NHL level. The club are giving him a chance to show what he's got. Either to stick with the team, or maybe showcase him to another team.

It would seem that most of the people saying that he should stay up is so that he is not potentially lost on waivers for nothing. He is an asset and you shouldn't give them away if possible. Players that deserve to stick with the team often get sent down due to being waiver expempt, happened to Lehner last year and I'm sure it happens at every club.

If a game is decided on whether Pageau or DaCosta plays 10 minutes a night then we're not in very good shape at all.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Doesn't "all tools, no tool box" refer to "tons of skill, no smarts".

Da Costa has tools and a tool box, in a short sample he's had no finish. There are things this player does that few in the entire organization can do. Does these little things in small spaces that keeps the puck on people's sticks. Quick thinker.

You give people like this time at all cost. He was one of the better players on the ice last night. And one of the few players that can play on Karlsson's wavelength. These things are important.

he reminds me of a better shotting Doug Weight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad