We can't let Da Costa go

Berserker*

Sunday is the last day to put players on waivers before Monday's deadline to be cap compliant for opening day. Should be an interesting weekend.

Don't we play on Sunday? Can players placed on waivers still take part in the game?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So where does he fit in the lineup? With Pageau, Stone and Da Costa all NHL ready, we will need to move some bodies to accommodate them.

Very difficult question to answer but here's my take :

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Zibanejad-Da Costa-Pageau
Greening-Smith-Neil/Condra
Kassian

lol 3 centers on line 3, could be very interesting

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Condra and/or Neil aren't being pushed out of the lineup to make room for Stephane Da Costa. We live in the real world here.

One is our best penalty killer and a puck possession hog, and the other is our heart and soul assistant captain, and on most nights are pugilist.

If Da Costa makes the team, it's Pageau getting sent down... or maybe Smith sits.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Stone should be sent down to see if he can dominate a bit on line 1 in Bingo. Nothing bad at all can come out of that and it leaves Murray the time to figure out what to do with Pageau and Da Costa.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Very difficult question to answer but here's my take :

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Zibanejad-Da Costa-Pageau
Greening-Smith-Neil/Condra
Kassian

lol 3 centers on line 3, could be very interesting

Pageau has not played the wing... Ever

If Pageau is on the team, Da Costa is most likely either on another NHL team or in Bingo

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
I like him, but in a 5 goal game, on the 1st line, he got 1 point.

Da Costa deserved a point on the Zibanejad goal. He made a great play to keep the puck alive and move it back to Methot. Mehot just made the simple pass to Karlsson for the easy assist (when EK turned his magic on and Zibby banged home the rebound).

Stats don't tell the whole story. Da Costa looks a lot different this year, he's much more engaged in the play. I'd written him off due to lack of competitiveness but he might warrant another look. His skill is evident now that he has the speed/conditioning to show-case it.

It will be disappointing if we lose him for nothing, but our roster is filled to bursting.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What people don't understand about Da Costa is that he plays more like Spezza than Turris, he is here to produce scoring opportunities. He might not be the best "converter" but he will rack-up assists... Henrik Sedin, Joe Thornton, Mike Ribeiro, Nicklas Backstrom, Ryan Getzlaf, Tomas Plekanec and many others don't score a lot of goals in comparison to their assists totals, they are pure playmakers.

I like Da Costa, but I can't see him in the bottom 6, and I don't see him as better than Turris, so that's pretty much it for him as a Senator with the big club.

Except that with all the talent spread in the NHL nowadays, it's becoming more a top-9 + a grinding line... Da Costa is a top-9 center. We just need to move Smith to Wing (he played LW before), waive O'Brien (done), and have Pageau as the 4th line center (he's still very young, doesn't matter if he starts his NHL career on the 4th line, he will work his way up). Oh and well, need to move Zibanejad to wing too.

Spezza
Turris
Da Costa
Pageau

The blend of skill, defensive awareness (both Spezza and Da Costa are going to be underrated of course), speed and hockey sense is amazing

Damn, that's a difficult "problem"

This, and he will be waived barring a messy injury situation. I doubt he'll get claimed, because I don't think he's quite ready for any other teams' top 6.

lol no. Just no.

just thinking this. The guy has all the tools but no toolbox

I actually think people like being wrong...

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
I'd pressbox Da Costa and alternate him with Smith depending on the competition, and wait for inevitable Spezza injury and plug him into the 1st line.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
XSpyrit said:
Spezza
Turris
Da Costa
Pageau

The blend of skill, defensive awareness (both Spezza and Da Costa are going to be underrated of course), speed and hockey sense is amazing

Damn, that's a difficult "problem"

Well, I see "Montreal Canadiens" when I look at those centres. Spezza doesn't play big, and the other 3 guys are small.

You need some size up the middle IMO.

That means Smith and/or Zibanejad.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
It would really suck if he was claimed and then somehow figured out how to score, but I see that as unlikely.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This.

Da Costa just doesn't really fit in.

Ottawa's centre depth chart (from those remaining on training camp, not counting juniour prospects such as Lazar):

Spezza
Turris
Zibanejad
Pageau
Smith
Da Costa
JOB

He definitely doesn't fit, but that doesn't mean that Murray should risk losing him in the waiver wire. If no trade transpires, there are other possibilities - including waiving Mike "the 4th year pro with nothing to show" Hoffman and keeping Da Costa as an extra forward besides the Nuclear Deterrent.

Have we learned nothing from our injury plagued season? Is Spezza really going to go for 82-games (when he's already nursing injuries before the puck even dropped)?

SDC is an asset to keep, and Hoffman likely doesn't get picked up.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Da Costa may not fit in here but he may fit in elsewhere, and if he does, don't be the idiots that dropped him for nothing or next to nothing.

Simply put, if you see a realistic chance that he can gain worth over the course of time, find a way to do it. If he's gaining worth, he's not hurting us, if he's not gaining worth, drop him/trade him for nothing.

I don't doubt there's people making decisions that think there's a realistic chance he can develop some worth. I'd like to see the guy get quality/consistent linemates, but that might be hard to do. This is the challenge.

I'd be very open minded with this potential asset.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I am not sure Da Costa is a player we NEED to keep.

Obviously he has the potential to be a good player, but every time I get my hopes up and he plays well against AHLers and pre-season teams, but whenever I've seen him called up I'm usually left disappointed. He's had a few games that he's been quite good at the NHL level, but not nearly as good as Pageau IMO.

Obviously one could be better than the other, but I prefer Pageau. He's grittier, he's a pain in the ass (in a good way), he looks faster and he's really responsible defensively. He's also been more consistent at each level he's had to play. I have not once ever been disappointed with Pageau, but have always left like --- Wow. (For a player I really knew nothing about).

This doesn't mean DaCosta isn't a decent player, I just feel like he hasn't done as much with his opportunity with the Sens as some other players. He also is less defensive. And snake bitten like crazy. It sucks we are so deep at C.

I do agree with above, that I'd rather not lose him to waivers though.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Looks more and more like we'll keep 14 forwards and if Da Costa continues to impress, I can see him being one of the 14.

This wouldn't surprise me:

1. Spezza
  2. Ryan
  3. Michalek
  4. Turris
  5. MacArthur
  6. Zibby
  7. Neil
  8. Greening
  9. Condra
  10. Smith
  11. Conacher
  12. Kassian
  13. Da Costa*
  14. Hoffman*

Sent down: Stone, Pageau

But I don't think Hoffman would get claimed so I can see him down and one of Pageau or Stone up. Not my preference to have either Stone or Pageau in Bingo but the waiver eligibility really makes it tough to risk losing Da Costa. Even if he's not a stud now, you so see that potential to be a very good offensive player if he takes another step in his development. Hard to risk losing that type of player. Plus, I bet Murray would say he'd rather have Stone and Pageau playing big minutes in Bingo rather than having a limited role in Ottawa.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Sending Pageau down to keep Mike "the 4th year pro with nothing to show" Hoffman is asinine.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
How many teams even have cap space or a need for another forward? Cant be too many.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sending Pageau down to keep Mike "the 4th year pro with nothing to show" Hoffman is asinine.

That's a little black and white. He's improved year to year every one of those 4 years. Has been one of the top players/scorers in bingo the last 2 years. Luke Richardson an Pierre Dorion rave about him as well.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
That's a little black and white. He's improved year to year every one of those 4 years. Has been one of the top players/scorers in bingo the last 2 years. Luke Richardson an Pierre Dorion rave about him as well.

That's reality - what has Hoffman done upto now to warrant Pageau being demoted?

Isn't it telling that he barely gets a sniff while Da Costa, Stone, and even Petersson are getting better opportunities in the line shuffling and are outplaying him in what is arguably a make/break preseason for Hoffman?

Sure, he was the call-up of choice before he suffered the injury last season and was subsequently supplanted by an outstanding Pageau. As of now, he is behind Pageau, Conacher, and Da Costa on the depth chart. Hoffman has done nothing to warrant such desparate moves (Pageau demotion, Da Costa being waived).

I doubt Hoffman gets claimed, but if he does, that's the reality of Ottawa's forward depth. Da Costa on the other hand might be lost for nothing - he has more value atm and Murray may want to capitilize on that.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Condra and/or Neil aren't being pushed out of the lineup to make room for Stephane Da Costa. We live in the real world here.

One is our best penalty killer and a puck possession hog, and the other is our heart and soul assistant captain, and on most nights are pugilist.

If Da Costa makes the team, it's Pageau getting sent down... or maybe Smith sits.

I really hope this doesn't happen. The Sens lack grit in their top 6, its up to guys like Smith, Neil and Greening to make up for that on the bottom two lines.

Start taking those players out of the lineup and all of a sudden even the Habs can start pushing the Sens around.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That's reality - what has Hoffman done upto now to warrant Pageau being demoted?

Isn't it telling that he barely gets a sniff while Da Costa, Stone, and even Petersson are getting better opportunities in the line shuffling and are outplaying him in what is arguably a make/break preseason for Hoffman?

Sure, he was the call-up of choice before he suffered the injury last season and was subsequently supplanted by an outstanding Pageau. As of now, he is behind Pageau, Conacher, and Da Costa on the depth chart. Hoffman has done nothing to warrant such desparate moves (Pageau demotion, Da Costa being waived).

I doubt Hoffman gets claimed, but if he does, that's the reality of Ottawa's forward depth. Da Costa on the other hand might be lost for nothing - he has more value atm and Murray may want to capitilize on that.

Im not arguing that he should be the one we choose, or not placed on waivers. Im just saying that he has improved every year, to the point that he has been one of the best players in bingo the last two years, and if not for an unfortunate couple injuries last year would have been with the big club sooner and longer.The brass has been very happy with his progression, and rave about him. Others around him doing better doesn't mean he automatically sucks or has "done nothing with his 4 years", he's ready for a chance at the Nhl be it with us or another team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO it's Da Costa versus Pageau, I doubt they keep both so either Da Costa is placed on waivers or Pageau is sent down to the minors which IMO should be the obvious decision to save an asset but who knows what will happen. Given a few games into the regular season everything could be cleared up. Da Costa last yr didn't seem to be able to handle regular season roster players & sucked at faceoffs. We may get to see if he can handle it this yr or not to start the yr. It won't hurt Pageau to start the yr in Bingo, he's young & he can handle it.

There are three guys that are question marks to start the yr that I think they will keep an eye on to see if they can play a consistent game Conacher, Da Costa & MacArthur. If they don't contribute consistently or start to make too many mistakes they could get replaced. Personally, I would add Condra to that group & replace him with a more offensive player. Here's how I think they start the season:

Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
Conacher - Turris - MacArthur
Greening - Da Costa - Zibanejad
Condra - Z. Smith - Neil/Kassian/Hoffman

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wiercioch
Phillips - Corvo/Gryba

Anderson - Lehner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad