We can't let Da Costa go

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
At this time Da Costa is the most offensively gifted centre to sub in case of injury to Spezza or Turris. No knock on Z-Bad or Pageau but strictly in terms of play making ability right now he looks to be ahead in that part of the game. How many teams have that type of luxury. Given Spezza's record it wouldn't be prudent to let Da Costa go for nothing.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
To be dead honest. If Spezza goes down, I don't think we have a better center to replace Spezza's skillset than DaCosta. Turris is more shooter, Zibanejad too, DaCosta is mini Spezza.

I think that in itself is what truly makes him valuable to this team to at least give him a 9ish game tryout. That won't even hurt Pageau and should give him a chance to dominate a bit in the A.

Edit: Great post by Tundra I agree.

Although I must be honest I do have a bias towards Da Costa, I've wanted him to succeed for some years now and I think Zibanejad could be jut a effective centering that top-line cause of chemistry I could see him and Ryan developing, tbh. Regardless though, DaCosta can be extremely valuable if Spezza is injured.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
To be dead honest. If Spezza goes down, I don't think we have a better center to replace Spezza's skillset than DaCosta. Turris is more shooter, Zibanejad too, DaCosta is mini Spezza.

I think that in itself is what truly makes him valuable to this team to at least give him a 9ish game tryout. That won't even hurt Pageau and should give him a chance to dominate a bit in the A.

Edit: Great post by Tundra I agree.

Although I must be honest I do have a bias towards Da Costa, I've wanted him to succeed for some years now and I think Zibanejad could be jut a effective centering that top-line cause of chemistry I could see him and Ryan developing, tbh. Regardless though, DaCosta can be extremely valuable if Spezza is injured.

My disagreement with this is that last year Spezza went down for the entire season (minus 5 games) and Da Costa only played 9 games. If Da Costa was so great and can replace Spezza, why couldn't he last year?

I still feel like Da Costa is very inconsistent, and makes bone head moves. While I would love to keep him, there are other players I see as more valuable based on their NHL play. Da Costa hasn't been as impressive to me as some people here are stating.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
My feeling is that da Costa will be with the team to start the season. It may mean carrying 23 players (assuming Pageau isn't sent down, which is still a possibility especially if they want to have a longer look at Hoffman) for at least a short period of time. He will be on a very short leash, and if he flounders he will be waived or traded.

Opening night lineup:

Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
Mcarthur - Turris - Conacher
Zibanejad - Da Costa - Greening
Pageau - Smith - Neil
(but may want to put in Kassian if Scott is in Buffalo's lineup)

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Weircioch
Phillips - Corvo (or Gryba if 100% healthy)

Anderson
Lehner

ETA: and yes I know this would mean sitting Kick-Ass Awesome Condra. (or KAAC for short)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well, I see "Montreal Canadiens" when I look at those centres. Spezza doesn't play big, and the other 3 guys are small.

You need some size up the middle IMO.

That means Smith and/or Zibanejad.

Somehow I totally omitted that notion, I could find some excuses like alcool, sex or lack of sleep but it's just a pure brainfart

Spezza
Turris
Zibanejad
Pageau

Smith moved to Wing and Da Costa as the "reserve center", but where does he play until a center is injured?

My disagreement with this is that last year Spezza went down for the entire season (minus 5 games) and Da Costa only played 9 games. If Da Costa was so great and can replace Spezza, why couldn't he last year?

I still feel like Da Costa is very inconsistent, and makes bone head moves. While I would love to keep him, there are other players I see as more valuable based on their NHL play. Da Costa hasn't been as impressive to me as some people here are stating.

Da Costa has only been a pro for 2 years, he comes from France and then College. That sort of development road doesn't produce NHL players right off the bat. Last year he was still lacking in strenght and conditioning, apparently he made huge strides in that regard this year. He looks a lot more than NHL ready than before and it shows

There are three guys that are question marks to start the yr that I think they will keep an eye on to see if they can play a consistent game Conacher, Da Costa & MacArthur. If they don't contribute consistently or start to make too many mistakes they could get replaced. Personally, I would add Condra to that group & replace him with a more offensive player. Here's how I think they start the season:

I'm not sure where you get your ideas sometimes... MacArthur and Conacher could be replaced? They'd have to really suck but I doubt it happens based on what they have done so far in the NHL. In fact, they will probably be among our 6 best/most productive forwards this season. MacA was just signed as a UFA on a very good contract (particularly vs Clarkson) and Conacher was acquired in a steal trade IMO

Of course it could happen in the future but chances that it happens this year are very low. Same goes for Condra. Guys like Prince and Lazar will eventually make him expendable but for now, let's benefit of having Condra on our 4th line. I certainly don't think (like you probably do) that Robinson, Grant, Cowick or DD would be better choices at the moment

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Lol, I told everyone last year that Da Costa is NHL ready but had terrible conditioning skills. He worked on it this past off-season and guess what now? He looks completely NHL ready.

You can't attribute last year to this year, this year Da Costa looks stronger, better and more determined.

Also, last year we never had a pure scoring winger who needed a playmaker on his line like Ryan.

I honestly think you're statements are completely about Da Costa's stats and how much games he played LAST year. Also, he doesn't nearly do as many bone-headed moves as Spezza for a guy who plays identically like him as a playmaker and dangler who needs to be fancy once in a while(Cue everyone assuming I'm saying he's better than Spezza)

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Lol, I told everyone last year that Da Costa is NHL ready but had terrible conditioning skills. He worked on it this past off-season and guess what now? He looks completely NHL ready.

You can't attribute last year to this year, this year Da Costa looks stronger, better and more determined.

Also, last year we never had a pure scoring winger who needed a playmaker on his line like Ryan.

I honestly think you're statements are completely about Da Costa's stats and how much games he played LAST year. Also, he doesn't nearly do as many bone-headed moves as Spezza for a guy who plays identically like him as a playmaker and dangler who needs to be fancy once in a while(Cue everyone assuming I'm saying he's better than Spezza)

Its more about the fact I think we have better players out there.

You make him sound like he's going to be a PPG consistent NHLer. Obviously he COULD be, but highly highly unlikely.

IMO, the best players should be brought up, and Da Costa has been good, but others have been more consistently impressive as far as prospects go.

The problem with bonehead moves from Da Costa, is that he doesn't have enough strength currently to get the points Spezza does. Yes, he's creative, but he has poor finish. He has things he needs to work on. In theory, Da Costa has great skills, but they haven't translated all that well into the NHL at this point.

I am not saying I want to lose him. I just think that there are players that we have that have done a better job then he has. Maybe its because of their upbringing, but even so, the best player should play and I don't think its been Da Costa. I'd rather a player who actually gets points, than who looks fancy trying to.

I do like the idea of bringing along a few extra forwards and giving them a chance to prove their stuff at an NHL level.

But at the end of the day, whatever happens, I trust our coaches.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Its more about the fact I think we have better players out there.

You make him sound like he's going to be a PPG consistent NHLer. Obviously he COULD be, but highly highly unlikely.

IMO, the best players should be brought up, and Da Costa has been good, but others have been more consistently impressive as far as prospects go.

The problem with bonehead moves from Da Costa, is that he doesn't have enough strength currently to get the points Spezza does. Yes, he's creative, but he has poor finish. He has things he needs to work on. In theory, Da Costa has great skills, but they haven't translated all that well into the NHL at this point.

I am not saying I want to lose him. I just think that there are players that we have that have done a better job then he has. Maybe its because of their upbringing, but even so, the best player should play and I don't think its been Da Costa. I'd rather a player who actually gets points, than who looks fancy trying to.

I do like the idea of bringing along a few extra forwards and giving them a chance to prove their stuff at an NHL level.

But at the end of the day, whatever happens, I trust our coaches.

People are afraid of saying Da Costa has very high upside because then we'd be considered homers even though I, yet again, mention he was on par/better offensively with guys who are very good in the NHL today when they were younger. How is it unlikely that he won't translate his game well? We aren't talking about Da Costa missing on 2on1's or powerplay chances, he is not finishing breakaways that he himself is creating. The fact that he is creating his own offense is impressive enough, i'm not worried about his finishing as much due to his inexperience as an NHLer yet.

No, no other prospect or player fighting for a roster spot, outside of Pageau, has looked better than Da Costa.

I'm not fighting for Da Costa to remain on this roster over others. I just see promise in his future and that I don't wanna give him up for nothing when we could in return receive a valuable return.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
People are afraid of saying Da Costa has very high upside because then we'd be considered homers even though I, yet again, mention he was on par/better offensively with guys who are very good in the NHL today when they were younger. How is it unlikely that he won't translate his game well? We aren't talking about Da Costa missing on 2on1's or powerplay chances, he is not finishing breakaways that he himself is creating. The fact that he is creating his own offense is impressive enough, i'm not worried about his finishing as much due to his inexperience as an NHLer yet.

No, no other prospect or player fighting for a roster spot, outside of Pageau, has looked better than Da Costa.

Pageau should be on the team over Da Coasta IMO. He has done more to prove it. At both the training camps and NHL level.

Da Costa hasn't done more than some players to earn his spot, minus his contract.

I'm not saying he won't become something. But he hasn't thus far. If we have to choose just one player to come with, it should be Pageau (IMO).

If we have space for more than one then, of course, Da Costa should be there. But there are too many C's. I see it being between the two, and it just sucks for Pageau (who I have seen as a better player), that he will likely get sent down. I just think he's done more to earn it, and deserves it over Da Costa, who's done well in the preseason, but hasn't out played Pageau.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Pageau should be on the team over Da Coasta IMO. He has done more to prove it. At both the training camps and NHL level.

Da Costa hasn't done more than some players to earn his spot, minus his contract.

I'm not saying he won't become something. But he hasn't thus far. If we have to choose just one player to come with, it should be Pageau (IMO).

If we have space for more than one then, of course, Da Costa should be there. But there are too many C's. I see it being between the two, and it just sucks for Pageau (who I have seen as a better player), that he will likely get sent down. I just think he's done more to earn it, and deserves it over Da Costa, who's done well in the preseason, but hasn't out played Pageau.

Whatever happens with pageau, i don't see how it sucks for him. Although i don't see it happening, even if he started in bingo, who cares? Big deal. The kid has a spot locked in ottawa and he is 20 yrs old. Opposite of sucking.
And there will be room for both anyway

Last edited:

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Burying Pageau in the minors when he clearly has won a spot on merit sends the wrong message to all of the prospects. So what if we're at risk of losing Da Costa. If the two players were close, it would be a different matter. They are not. Now, add in the fact that Pageau is a marketing dream, especially on the other side of the river.

IMO, there's more chance of Pageau putting on a nurse's uniform than a Bingo one. If we lose Da Costa its not a big deal. There's a good chance he passes through waivers anyway.

If Murray believes that there's no room for Da Costa and also that he is NHL ready, he's the type that would try and trade him and failing that, then put him on waivers just to give him a chance to play.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The players are close, you shouldn't kid yourself on that. Last season, maybe not. This season is a different ball game and though Da Costa has been given more opportunity so it's hard to judge, he has been better in pre-season. That much should be obvious. There's nothing else for management to base themselves on since all players enter training camp with a clean slate.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
I'm not kidding myself. They are very different players so its not apples and apples. One could play on any of the 4 lines, the PK, and the PP if it was required. The other one could not.

SDC obviously better in preseason? I guess if you only focus on the last few games. You know, after JGP had pretty much locked-up a spot and the team gave SDC his shot/showcase playing top 6.

It appears to me that, at that point, the team was auditioning JGP for a 3rd/4th line role. While SDC played well at top 6, there's no room for him there come October. And its unlikely he'll be in the bottom 6.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm not kidding myself. They are very different players so its not apples and apples. One could play on any of the 4 lines, the PK, and the PP if it was required. The other one could not.

SDC obviously better in preseason? I guess if you only focus on the last few games. You know, after JGP had pretty much locked-up a spot and the team gave SDC his shot/showcase playing top 6.

It appears to me that, at that point, the team was auditioning JGP for a 3rd/4th line role. While SDC played well at top 6, there's no room for him there come October. And its unlikely he'll be in the bottom 6.

Sure about that?

Management seems to disagree with you.

MacLean on Stephane Da Costa:

I think that Stephane has come in and played this training camp. Over the three years that he's been here and I've been here we've asked him to make changes to his game to give him a chance to play at the NHL level and he has done that. As a credit to him he has done those things and made those changes and shows that he can play in the league and be competitive. Right now there's an opportunity for him because we're holding Spezza out but at the same time he's getting an opportunity to play with good players and showing that he can play with them and that gives us a lot of confidence in him going into the season. If he ends up being on our team he can play, we believe now he can play in the NHL at any position whether it's in a top six role or a bottom six, he can come in and help our team.... We've asked him to have a better fitness level, a better competition level and play better defensively and he's done all of those things. If people are doing things you ask them to do I think you have to acknowledge that and then give them an opportunity to show you that they can do it. To his credit, he has done those things, made those changes and he's making it difficult for us to make decisions which is what we like.

http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=20799

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
IMO, there's more chance of Pageau putting on a nurse's uniform than a Bingo one. If we lose Da Costa its not a big deal. There's a good chance he passes through waivers anyway.

Be very careful about saying stuff like that.

Attachments

• daigle250.jpg
    daigle250.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 4

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

How does that make him NHL ready? Conditioning is a terribly important part of the NHL, which is why you see some star players - coming from injury - being seemingly ready for contact drills still practicing on their own and of course, not being in games. Conditioning is a great part of being in game shape.

Da Costa wasn’t NHL ready last year. He may be overachieving in the training camp (a make/break it for him), as in it’s doubtful he can play at such level for 82 games (unless his conditioning, amongst other important factors, go favourably for him). He has been, however, a very talented, playmaking centre thus far in his amateur and minor-league career. Lets hope he can continue to build on his game before we declare him an 82-game player (NHL ready).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
How does that make him NHL ready? Conditioning is a terribly important part of the NHL, which is why you see some star players - coming from injury - being seemingly ready for contact drills still practicing on their own and of course, not being in games. Conditioning is a great part of being in game shape.

Da Costa wasn’t NHL ready last year. He may be overachieving in the training camp (a make/break it for him), as in it’s doubtful he can play at such level for 82 games (unless his conditioning, amongst other important factors, go favourably for him). He has been, however, a very talented, playmaking centre thus far in his amateur and minor-league career. Lets hope he can continue to build on his game before we declare him an 82-game player (NHL ready).

Lol, I meant skill wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad