We can't let Da Costa go

Berserker*

It seems like there is some kind of bias against SDC

I'm sure if he was from Ottawa region like Pageau, people would be drooling about him. But I guess bias is natural for the human being

Da Costa AINEC IMO. We don't really need O'Brien as much as we have many guys who can his job and better. We have a much better version of him in Zack Smith. Hoffman is cool but there's a chance he wouldn't get picked up on waivers.

Da Costa would be picked up 100%. You don't let go talent like that for nothing or even a "late pick" like many have been saying the last few weeks. That's ridiculous and I'm ready to eat crow about it

And just as I am typing this and watching the game delayed, I see that booming shot by Da Costa in the middle of the 2nd. Violent shot the commentator said. Nice save by Budaj

So where does he fit in the lineup? With Pageau, Stone and Da Costa all NHL ready, we will need to move some bodies to accommodate them.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Have always liked Da Costa. Kid has skills and is on the verge of a breakout IMO. Too much talent and drive there for him not to become at least a decent NHLer (though I think he can be an impact player).

Make it work somehow.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
So where does he fit in the lineup? With Pageau, Stone and Da Costa all NHL ready, we will need to move some bodies to accommodate them.

That's the problem, there are too many centers. As good as dacosta looked tonight, he's not going to play on one of the top lines unless there are injuries. Do you move Zibby to the wing and let him play on the third? Im not sure he's the kind of player that can contribute on the 4th line with grinders.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Waiver exempt players will be sent down in preference when its too close to call, pretty much always happens with all teams every year.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Pageau, Da Costa, and Conacher have all impressed. I don’t remember this many forward prospects making a case at the same time in Ottawa. I don’t think anybody has any idea who is staying over whom. That said..

Stone and Petersson are definitely going down to get top-line minutes in Bingo.

Hoffman’s ass will be on waivers, he is the least impressive amongst this group - and in fact hasn’t really excelled in anything this preseason, the most important of his career.

Kassian stays as the nuclear deterrent in the tough Atlantic division.

JOB will likely be waived unless Murray can find a trade. There is no way Pageau or Conacher is being sent down or Da Costa is lost on waivers.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's an NHL quality player, no question, but despite his strong performance there still isn't a spot for him, and I doubt there will ever be.

Let's hope he showed enough to get a pick out of a team to low on the waiver wire to get him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like Da Costa, but I can't see him in the bottom 6, and I don't see him as better than Turris, so that's pretty much it for him as a Senator with the big club.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
He's an NHL quality player, no question, but despite his strong performance there still isn't a spot for him, and I doubt there will ever be.

Let's hope he showed enough to get a pick out of a team too low on the waiver wire to get him.

The only thing Da Costa hasn’t done so far is not converting his chances to goal, and that might be a bit concerning.

I don’t think that a team will necessarily wait for him to pluck him off waivers if they are in pursuit of a cheap, young player of his talent level. If they see a fit, I think they will try to make a trade for Da Costa rather than hoping that he will somehow be available when Ottawa can also keep him by sending Pageau and/or Conacher down (unlikely, as JOB will likely be waived).

That said, if Da Costa is sent down, I am certain he will get picked up by another organization.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He wasn't all that great tonight people

He's been great so far but tonight, I was far from impressed

I did miss the third period though

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
He wasn't all that great tonight people

He's been great so far but tonight, I was far from impressed

I did miss the third period though

Da Costa line was buzzing all night, and he was a catalyst on offence. He was definitely impressive.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I like Da Costa, but I can't see him in the bottom 6, and I don't see him as better than Turris, so that's pretty much it for him as a Senator with the big club.

This, and he will be waived barring a messy injury situation. I doubt he'll get claimed, because I don't think he's quite ready for any other teams' top 6.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I agree that the top line was solid but I don't attribute it's success tonight to Da Costa

He was pretty good, don't get me wrong

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This, and he will be waived barring a messy injury situation. I doubt he'll get claimed, because I don't think he's quite ready for any other teams' top 6.

Edmonton’s missing RNH (until Nov.) and Gagner (indefinitely), plus there are others who may need to fill similar void (at least temporarily) by picking up Da Costa for free.

Hoffman or JOB likely won’t get claimed, but I will be very surprised if Da Costa doesn’t picked up should he be on waivers.

Milan the God*

I agree that the top line was solid but I don't attribute it's success tonight to Da Costa

He was pretty good, don't get me wrong

I wouldn't say he was the reason that line was successful. But the crazy thing is, he didn't look out of place. He looked on par with Ryan and better than Michalek, IMO. But it's just one game.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I wouldn't say he was the reason that line was successful. But the crazy thing is, he didn't look out of place. He looked on par with Ryan and better than Michalek, IMO. But it's just one game.

And its one game against mostly ahl players. I honestly wouldn't get too excited right now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I actually thought he was out-of-place plenty of times

That was my issue with his play tonight

He didn't seem to be where he needed to be once the line lost control of the puck a lot of the time

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Edmonton’s missing RNH (until Nov.) and Gagner (indefinitely), plus there are others who may need to fill similar void (at least temporarily) by picking up Da Costa for free.

Hoffman or JOB likely won’t get claimed, but I will be very surprised if Da Costa doesn’t picked up should he be on waivers.

JOB might get claimed by a team with a piss-poor 4th line. A team like Calgary might take a flyer on him, considering he's young enough to fit into their plans going forward, he provides what they need (depth at center in their bottom-6) and they're awful enough to need the help.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've been raving about Da Costa for years now.

Da Costa racked up more/same points in his college career than JVR, Perron, Oshie, Toews etc..

Also, Da Costa was coming fresh off a weak hockey development background.

Now that Da Costa finally has his conditioning and strength back combined with his great skill people wanna give up on him? Let him play against NHLers and develop better.

Whoever watched the AHL last year would tell you he was a man among little kids. He destroyed the defenders left and right, he did not belong but his conditioning held him back from being a force in the NHL throughout a full game. It seems he has worked on that side of his game. I wanna see what he can do given the opportunity.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Some people acting like Da Costa came out of no where when in reality he was on par with guys like Oshie, Perron, Toews etc in scoring at same age.

People underestimate DaCosta's potential.

cconstantinescu

Jan 8, 2012
So here's a question.

In any world, would you consider Condra expendable, despite his good penalty killing and defence, in favor of the guy who doesn't have the Gomez curse?

Condra, you know you'll never get more than 8 goals in a year if you're lucky out of him. What about putting someone else in, given that we still have a very strong PK with some of the other young guys getting some good PK time (Spezza,Michalek,Turris,Greening,Smith)

This could open up a roster spot.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So here's a question.

In any world, would you consider Condra expendable, despite his good penalty killing and defence, in favor of the guy who doesn't have the Gomez curse?

Condra, you know you'll never get more than 8 goals in a year if you're lucky out of him. What about putting someone else in, given that we still have a very strong PK with some of the other young guys getting some good PK time (Spezza,Michalek,Turris,Greening,Smith)

This could open up a roster spot.

I wouldn't call him expendable. He does bring puck possession and is great on the pk. But he freaking needs to learn how to shoot. He misses empty nets constantly. The habs vs. sens game could have been 6-2 if condra had the ability to shoot properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad