We are serious contenders!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Oh our offence is legit if firing properly, and if AM get's healthy and plays to his abilities, we are the best in the league most likely (maybe Tampa)

you ever wonder about the fact that in all our games every other defense in the league gets sliced and diced like butter every bit as much if not more than ours does?

Reactions: Menzinger

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
how am I picking and choosing?

you picked those teams.
And you have to go back three years to support your argument against the Bruins, as well as dismissing both Tampa and the Islanders as 'hot goaltending'. All I did was offer my opinion, based on watching this year's games.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And you have to go back three years to support your argument against the Bruins, as well as dismissing both Tampa and the Islanders as 'hot goaltending'. All I did was offer my opinion, based on watching this year's games.

The leafs were 3-1 against the Bruins last year, 3-4 in the playoffs. That's last year.

We haven't had any problems playing the Bolts at all this year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Are we serious contenders?

Define "serious".

If we don't get to the 2nd round, this year will be a bust.

3rd round is iffy but doable.

The finals would be a shock - and a year ahead of schedule.

If we get past TB in the 2nd round, we can get past anyone but I agree that's iffy. I wouldn't be shocked to be in the finals but then again, I wouldn't be shocked to lose in the 1st round. There really is no schedule though, the playoffs are far too unpredictable for that.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I hope to see us playing in the 2nd round. On paper our roster should easily be able to do it.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
you ever wonder about the fact that in all our games every other defense in the league gets sliced and diced like butter every bit as much if not more than ours does?

Sure, we can score, but when it comes right down to it, we won't see 6-5 games in the playoffs, teams tighten up. I still have faith we will score above average, but my beef is that teams will still hammer our defence.

I just think when it comes right down to it, we have to go through teams like Boston, Tampa, Wsh, Jackets, etc. These teams will have every forward playing a strong defensive game.

If it's down to the last shot, and we have to go against guys like Chara, Jones, Hedman, Mcavoy, etc. I think it will be tough, not to mention forwards like Bergeron.

The hard truth is our D has not proven anything, and have had a hard time handling pressure.

Maybe this is the year we change that, maybe not, but I know those other teams will shut things down.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If we get past TB in the 2nd round, we can get past anyone but I agree that's iffy. I wouldn't be shocked to be in the finals but then again, I wouldn't be shocked to lose in the 1st round. There really is no schedule though, the playoffs are far too unpredictable for that.
My guess : The Leafs head office has 2019/2020 as the year we make the Cup. If we make it a year early, mazel tov!

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
My guess : The Leafs head office has 2019/2020 as the year we make the Cup. If we make it early, mazel tov!

Bingo ^^

I have said next year and forward.

We still need changes to happen, and nothing wrong with that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Because it’s hard to overcome an ingrained narrative.

Once it collectively becomes the opinion “The D is bad” no matter how well they play it’s hard to change it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Once it collectively becomes the opinion “The D is bad” no matter how well they play it’s hard to change it.

it's also because leafs fans do a very good job of watching what their own players do, and not so good a job watching what the other team is doing.

So on offense, everything good is becuase of the leafs good offense not the other team's bad defense, but on defense everything is the leafs dmen's fault and not the other team's good offense.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
it's also because leafs fans do a very good job of watching what their own players do, and not so good a job watching what the other team is doing.

So on offense, everything good is becuase of the leafs good offense not the other team's bad defense, but on defense everything is the leafs dmen's fault and not the other team's good offense.

win threads = crickets and the odd tumbleweed

loss threads = WE'RE TOO SOFT!!!!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My guess : The Leafs head office has 2019/2020 as the year we make the Cup. If we make it a year early, mazel tov!

Could be, good to have goals I suppose. Just have to remember what Shanahan said, I believe it was something like "five year plan that changes every day".

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Could be, good to have goals I suppose. Just have to remember what Shanahan said, I believe it was something like "five year plan that changes every day".
Is Shanahan still around? We never hear from him.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The leafs were 3-1 against the Bruins last year, 3-4 in the playoffs. That's last year.

We haven't had any problems playing the Bolts at all this year.
So last year we did ok against the Bruins in the regular season, but when it got tough in the playoffs, we couldn't cope. This year, with a less physical team, we can't even win in the regular season. Why would I be concerned?

Reactions: dsred

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Amen! Top 10 in both GA and GA/G and yet we are terrible. Of course an upgrade would be welcome, but as it stands we're not as bad as many suggest.

Now there you go again spoutin' that sensible stuff, ya'll gotta stop doin' that or you'll be given people good ideas.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Amen! Top 10 in both GA and GA/G and yet we are terrible. Of course an upgrade would be welcome, but as it stands we're not as bad as many suggest.

Now there you go again spoutin' that sensible stuff, ya'll gotta stop doin' that or you'll be given people good ideas.

No, we do not play positionally well on the backend or as a team at times. I won't say we are brutal, or bad all the time, but a high percentage.

Can we get better, sure, will we, who knows, but anybody who has played, or really focuses on our defence can see this.

This is not saying we are terrible team in general, but we need to tighten up for the playoffs, or bring in some steady (doesn't need to be spectacular) help.

As far as other teams go, yes sometimes a great offence just beats our D , but we still need to be a lot better from the forwards down, anybody can see this, analysts see it, other coaches see it, players from other teams have said "once we get below on this team, they can't do anything"

I am sorry, but only homers cannot see this, or just don't want to see it. Our GA is good, Freddy helps this astronomically,plus we have a legit offence, but playoffs will be a whole other ballgame.

But I already know the counter post to what I have said will state what our GA is, and what our differential is.

Just want to say I do believe we can fix this, and we are still a contender, but I won't just look at our output vs defence, and think we have zero problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
This is something players learn, and it can be improve with a tweak here in there in the form of a trade. These guys have played in hard playoff series, round robin competitions before, so they know that it takes another level of commitment to win in do-or-die series.

They need to focus on speed and not be intimidated by any team. They can play with and have beaten the best. There is no match for speed, you can't hit what you cant catch. Leafs must exploit this advantage.

No match for speed! Like Muhammad Ali.

“Your shoulders can’t hit what your skates can’t catch
Your hips won’t check, we just too damn fast”
Rumble young men rumble

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
So last year we did ok against the Bruins in the regular season, but when it got tough in the playoffs, we couldn't cope. This year, with a less physical team, we can't even win in the regular season. Why would I be concerned?

Boston has a great top line and works well as a team, but in a 7 game series, their lack of depth will absolutely become a problem. The regular season is one thing but this time around double shifting the Bergeron line into the ground won't work so well.

The Leafs will be ok.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
No, we do not play positionally well on the backend or as a team at times. I won't say we are brutal, or bad all the time, but a high percentage.

Can we get better, sure, will we, who knows, but anybody who has played, or really focuses on our defence can see this.

This is not saying we are terrible team in general, but we need to tighten up for the playoffs, or bring in some steady (doesn't need to be spectacular) help.

As far as other teams go, yes sometimes a great offence just beats our D , but we still need to be a lot better from the forwards down, anybody can see this, analysts see it, other coaches see it, players from other teams have said "once we get below on this team, they can't do anything"

I am sorry, but only homers cannot see this, or just don't want to see it. Our GA is good, Freddy helps this astronomically,plus we have a legit offence, but playoffs will be a whole other ballgame.

But I already know the counter post to what I have said will state what our GA is, and what our differential is.

Just want to say I do believe we can fix this, and we are still a contender, but I won't just look at our output vs defence, and think we have zero problems.

*Were it a high percentage we would have a worse GA%. However, like you, I'd like to see improvements.
*Agreed, especially with the forwards, they break too soon and have not been supportive enough for our D, which has limitations, which does lead to the problems you're referring to.
*Here I disagree, I think 'homers' are aware that we have areas that should be improved. If I am the 'homer' to whom you're addressing, you've missed the mark. Further, along the lines of Freddy A., like most teams who are doing well, the goalie on these teams tend to be pretty darned good.
*Tell you what, I won't assume what you're going to say, please allow me the same courtesy.

I can't think of a poster on this board that believes we have zero problems. Some of us tend to think the problems we do have are not as serious as others think, to each their own.

Reactions: DanM and SAMCRO44

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
*Were it a high percentage we would have a worse GA%. However, like you, I'd like to see improvements.
*Agreed, especially with the forwards, they break too soon and have not been supportive enough for our D, which has limitations, which does lead to the problems you're referring to.
*Here I disagree, I think 'homers' are aware that we have areas that should be improved. If I am the 'homer' to whom you're addressing, you've missed the mark. Further, along the lines of Freddy A., like most teams who are doing well, the goalie on these teams tend to be pretty darned good.
*Tell you what, I won't assume what you're going to say, please allow me the same courtesy.

I can't think of a poster on this board that believes we have zero problems. Some of us tend to think the problems we do have are not as serious as others think, to each their own.

That's a very fair post, and I understand. I think at times I get frustrated because I want the team to address certain things, because we could be great.

But I respect what you said, and gives me another way to look at things :)

Reactions: meefer

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Because it wasn’t their toughness that ultimately defeated us. They had far more powerplays than we did (especially at TD Garden), Andersen had an uncharacteristically poor playoff series, and Naz was suspended for half the series. Even still this team got to game 7, before Boston took advantage of a defensively weak and inexperienced team and went off. Gardiner also had the worst game of his career.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Because it wasn’t their toughness that ultimately defeated us. They had far more powerplays than we did (especially at TD Garden), Andersen had an uncharacteristically poor playoff series, and Naz was suspended for half the series. Even still this team got to game 7, before Boston took advantage of a defensively weak and inexperienced team and went off. Gardiner also had the worst game of his career.

I feel like people act like Leafs lost in 4 games to the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad