DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You are not alone.
I love the Leafs.
Always have.
They have flaws.
It's okay to point them out.

Agreed

And I get the love for them, and the lack of success for a long time, I do appreciate what we have, and have faith it will get better.

I just don't understand why pointing out things is such a horrible thing to do.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Based on your Chicago example we're arguably only one defenseman away then. That's pretty damn close. Also I'd say our defense corps is similar to Pittsburgh's when they won back-to-back Cups.

Hmmmm.... but that was just the Hawks top 4, they were built with guys like TVR, Rozival, Timonan, Bufyglien, Brent Sopal, and Oduya (in his better days) they were just completely stacked and miles ahead of us.

However, we are maybe even better than Pitts when they won, will agree with that.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
yeah, it is a huge red flag that the Leafs haven't done anything in the post season yet this year
Win a playoff round before we are declared immortal.
We don’t even own a flag at this point.
We are saving for one but haven’t made the purchase yet.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No it doesn't make sense that our GA are low because we score so much. Our GA is low because we have a good D and stellar goaltender.
It can make sense if the Leafs play with the lead more often than they play from behind.
My impression but you tend to give up more when pressing to get back in a game then when you are playing in front protecting a lead.

I'm sure there are stats for such things.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Does any other team face excuses for low GA? People are reaching to come to the myth that Leafs D is just the worst.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Let me ask you a question, Freddy has been lights out most of the year, this has for sure masked things (including GA), do you honestly think we have a legit top notch D? you believe we play within a sound defensive structure from our top C down?

Because goal differential can be affected by many variables, such as a solid goalie.

Another question, if Anderson is average (not bad) do you have faith our sound defensive structure, and top D would be able to withstand that? Or if we can't score on the PP or 5X5 as well (not bad, just average) against a top team, would we keep the puck out of our own net enough?

Because I feel teams like Tampa, Nashville, Calgary, and Boston for sure could.

1. Leafs have received very good goaltending, but so have Tampa, Nashville, Boston, Calgary, and pretty much every top team.

1) NYI .924
2) DAL .918
3) BOS .917
4) WPG .915
5) TBL .915
6) TOR .913
7) NSH .912
8) PIT .908
9) MTL .907
10) ANA .906

2. Yes, I believe the leafs have had a good defense corps from the start, and I believe they have a top-notch defense corps with the addition of Muzzin. The Leafs have a #1D, two #2D, a good #4D, and plenty of solid options for the #5/6 spots.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I would be concerned that they are way too soft.
Numbers won't count for much when your face is up against the glass and you're afraid to get hit.
That is the immediate future of this team if Shanahan doesn't tell Wonder Boy to get some toughness.
Who are the tough, grind it out, teams in the East? Boston, Tampa, and Isles. Leafs are 2-5 against those teams. Muzzin will help, but I think physicality is their Achilles heel.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
convenient definitions.

aren't WSH, CBJ, PIT tough grind it out teams? we're 6-2 against them.
I picked the three I thought were the most physical. Washington just doesn't seem to have it this year, and Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Montreal (the other playoff-bound team) are more about finesse than grind.

I have less concern about a series against, in order, Columbus, Washington, Montreal, and Pittsburgh, and more against Isles, Boston, and mainly Tampa (although with Tampa, it's their skill combined with their grit).

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Jacobs plays with Bettman. Bettman needs a few of the middling teams to side with him in his CBA and US TV stance. Jacobs plays him to a fiddle. Jacobs is looking to cash every year from Bruins.

Teams like Leafs, Habs and Rangers will go with the majority. They really don't care because they are making mega millions no matter which way the NHL is run.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
nah, you picked the three that the leafs have the worst records against.
Even if that were the case, and it isn't, my point is still valid - against those teams, and they will probably meet at least one, they will likely struggle because of their lack of physicality.

Instead of nitpicking an imagined detail, do you have a valid argument?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
1. Leafs have received very good goaltending, but so have Tampa, Nashville, Boston, Calgary, and pretty much every top team.

1) NYI .924
2) DAL .918
3) BOS .917
4) WPG .915
5) TBL .915
6) TOR .913
7) NSH .912
8) PIT .908
9) MTL .907
10) ANA .906

2. Yes, I believe the leafs have had a good defense corps from the start, and I believe they have a top-notch defense corps with the addition of Muzzin. The Leafs have a #1D, two #2D, a good #4D, and plenty of solid options for the #5/6 spots.

Hey, I respect your opinion.

I still think this team does not play a good defensive game, and Hainsey, Gards, and Zeitsev are brutal. The forwards do not help out, and this is why teams slice through us like butter, but that's just my humble opinion.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You are in a 7 game series and there isn’t much time and space to make plays.
Most of the action for puck possession results in battles on the wall and keeping the other team pinned in their zone.

The opposition is coming at you with an aggressive forecheck, forcing you to make plays faster than you want.

Here is Paul Byron from Montreal. Note he’s not a Matt Martin player.
We put a lot of pressure on teams and when you can close on a player, you force him to make decisions quickly,” said Paul Byron. “When you have the forwards we have — Max (Domi), myself, Artturi (Lehkonen) — pressuring the other teams it forces them to make mistakes and cough up pucks. We want to get on them fast. The more we can take time and space away from the them the more advantageous it is for us.

Now, how do we play?

Reactions: dsred

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Even if that were the case, and it isn't, my point is still valid - against those teams, and they will probably meet at least one, they will likely struggle because of their lack of physicality.

Instead of nitpicking an imagined detail, do you have a valid argument?

yes i have a valid argument.

1) the leafs haven't struggled at all vs Tampa, handily outchancing them in both games. The bolts did steal one game with great goaltending, though.
2) the leafs are 4-4 against the Bruins in the regular season the past 2yrs, and 3-4 against them in the playoffs (without home ice advantage). they were 4-0 against them the year before that.
3) the isles are THE team in the league being carried by super-elite, and likely unsustainable, goaltending.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hey, I respect your opinion.

I still think this team does not play a good defensive game, and Hainsey, Gards, and Zeitsev are brutal. The forwards do not help out, and this is why teams slice through us like butter, but that's just my humble opinion.

you ever notice how we slice and dice through everyone else's defense like butter?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
yes i have a valid argument.

1) the leafs haven't struggled at all vs Tampa, handily outchancing them in both games. The bolts did steal one game with great goaltending, though.
2) the leafs are 4-4 against the Bruins in the regular season the past 2yrs, and 3-4 against them in the playoffs (without home ice advantage). they were 4-0 against them the year before that.
3) the isles are THE team in the league being carried by super-elite, and likely unsustainable, goaltending.
Wow! And you accuse me of picking and choosing stats! LOL.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Are we serious contenders?

Define "serious".

If we don't get to the 2nd round, this year will be a bust.

3rd round is iffy but doable.

The finals would be a shock - and a year ahead of schedule.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
you ever notice how we slice and dice through everyone else's defense like butter?

Oh our offence is legit if firing properly, and if AM get's healthy and plays to his abilities, we are the best in the league most likely (maybe Tampa)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->