We are serious contenders!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Because it wasn’t their toughness that ultimately defeated us. They had far more powerplays than we did (especially at TD Garden), Andersen had an uncharacteristically poor playoff series, and Naz was suspended for half the series. Even still this team got to game 7, before Boston took advantage of a defensively weak and inexperienced team and went off. Gardiner also had the worst game of his career.
More power plays, Andersen getting run with immunity, Kadri getting suspended for retaliation for a hard hit, and Gardiner coughing up the puck because he doesn't like to be hit.

None of these are because they were a more physical team?

I'm not saying Boston will beat us. Elsewhere I think I said we had a 60% chance of beating them. I just think they are a team we don't match up well against, and I think part of it is their physical play.

And I hope I'm wrong, and we beat them in four games.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Because it wasn’t their toughness that ultimately defeated us. They had far more powerplays than we did (especially at TD Garden), Andersen had an uncharacteristically poor playoff series, and Naz was suspended for half the series. Even still this team got to game 7, before Boston took advantage of a defensively weak and inexperienced team and went off. Gardiner also had the worst game of his career.

Freddy’s had two less than stellar playoff series with the Leafs.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
More power plays, Andersen getting run with immunity, Kadri getting suspended for retaliation for a hard hit, and Gardiner coughing up the puck because he doesn't like to be hit.

None of these are because they were a more physical team?

I'm not saying Boston will beat us. Elsewhere I think I said we had a 60% chance of beating them. I just think they are a team we don't match up well against, and I think part of it is their physical play.

And I hope I'm wrong, and we beat them in four games.

On that we agree. Hell I'd rather go up against Tampa Bay than the Bruins.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Last 10 games we're 7-2-1 or pacing at 123 point season.
We've scored 40 goals (4/g avg) while giving up 29 goals (2.9/g avg) or a 1.1 goal differential/game. This including the game against the Rangers where we had 55+ shots and only 1 goal.
This dovetails nicely with the 8 games Jake Muzzin has played for us, during which we've...
Scored 32 goals (4/g avg) while giving up 22 goals (2.75/g avg) or a 1.25 diff/game.
I know it's being selective, but we're playing well right now and improving. This is approaching Tampa territory in goal differential (and the team we beat 2 games prior to this short survey span).
We've had our slump. Our best players are playing well. Give them another bump of adrenaline Kyle, this is getting to be really fun.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As of the time I write this the Leafs are #2 in thr NHL, if the #2 team in the NHL are not contenders, then there is no such thing as a contender, they are not real they do not exist.

The Leafs are #2 in the NHL of course they are contenders that's not even up for debate .

I'd like to see them add 1 more piece but I can say this, 20 years i have been a Lwaf fan and I have NEVER been as confident in this tem as I am now.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Coyotes beat Tampa "7 " ~ 1 this season ...
It's almost like anyone can beat anyone on any given night....strange. Calling a team a non-contender because they lost to a lesser team is just horseshit.

Maybe next time the boys step it up and continue to keep the pedal to the metal. Skill loses to will, everytime. Has never changed.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Coyotes smacked Tampa 7-1 this season dude.

League has no contenders then. NHL should cancel the cup this year.

edit- beat me to it ^^

#1 this happened months ago

#2 Arizona had a relatively healthy team in that game.

#3 Tampa didn’t get shutout

#4 Tampa didn’t lose to them twice.

Reactions: Al14

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
#1 this happened months ago

#2 Arizona had a relatively healthy team in that game.

#3 Tampa didn’t get shutout

#4 Tampa didn’t lose to them twice.

Wow so Arizona is suddenly a contender when healthy then? You willing to vouch for that?

7-1. Take that in. Yet Tampa still rolling over the league.

If you're going to just say random crap to make your point valid I can do that too:

This 2-0 loss happened after partying in vegas so it doesn't matter.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Wow so Arizona is suddenly a contender when healthy then? You willing to vouch for that?

LMFAO how did you come to that conclusion by what I said?

I am just saying that Arizona was missing 6 or 7 of their regulars last night and that it’s more forgiving losing to a healthy shitty team then a shitty team that’s injury depleted.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
LMFAO how did you come to that conclusion by what I said?

I am just saying that Arizona was missing 6 or 7 of their regulars last night and that it’s more forgiving losing to a healthy ****ty team then a ****ty team that’s injury depleted.

The Toronto Raptors at the height of their shittienss beat a Micheal Jordan lead Bulls team in their 72-10 record season. shit happens in sports.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Coyotes smacked Tampa 7-1 this season dude.

League has no contenders then. NHL should cancel the cup this year.

edit- beat me to it ^^
I love this.

Tampa has like one horrible no-show bad game this season, and now that's an excuse for the leafs to have one pretty much once every week.

Also... why are we considering Tampa a good team? Sure, their players have a lot of goals and assists, which means the team has a lot of wins and points... but I was told recently that those are all "dumdum" stats.

When it comes to REAL stats, the leafs are way better than Tampa, and as a result, we have to pay all of our players far more money.

So who cares if a vastly inferior team lost 7-1 to the Coyotes? What does that have to do with best team in the world Maple Leafs?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think with new TV deals, Seattle, and the cap increasing, we will have many years to compete for a cup.

However, we are not contenders this season, I think as we start having prospects like Bracco, Marchment (energy guy) Moore, Lily, Sandin, Halowell etc. making the big club, and thriving, this should allow us to be deeper, and harder to play against. I see next year and on as the contending years.

I also think Babs needs to replace some special team coaches, because we are putrid.
Fantastic. You can stop hurling abuse at the Leafs because you shouldn't be disappointed when they lose again. I however, will continue to have faith and will be disappointed over their losses. I'm looking forward to the next win. I stopped expecting the leafs to lose years ago. Might make me a loser but I'm still a Leafs fan.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Apparently Zeke thinks we are cup favs, so I should stop posting and not question things, we should win the cup.
You don't post anything but vile put downs. I'm ok with fair criticism but I draw the line when you say any of our young players shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Kucherov. He is a great player for sure but he aint a leaf so F-him.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
the biggest difference is their PP is unstoppable, and they get way more PPs.
This is a great point. Matchups count. What better team to beat them than one that doesn't draw many penalties. :thumbu:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Regular season stats tell me we are a good team.
What do post season stats say?
Truth is that we know very little about how this team performs in the playoffs. Playoffs is a different season and a different sport. I can't wait till the playoffs.

Reactions: meefer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad