We are serious contenders!

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Wow so Arizona is suddenly a contender when healthy then? You willing to vouch for that?

7-1. Take that in. Yet Tampa still rolling over the league.

If you're going to just say random crap to make your point valid I can do that too:

This 2-0 loss happened after partying in vegas so it doesn't matter.

As someone who is a fan of both, yeah, AZ was second in the division I believe before injuries destroyed them. First portion of the season they had the least shots allowed, lowest GAA, #1 PK, and were outshooting pretty much everyone they played. The healthy Coyotes were no joke.

Reactions: TK 421

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
As someone who is a fan of both, yeah, AZ was second in the division I believe before injuries destroyed them. First portion of the season they had the least shots allowed, lowest GAA, #1 PK, and were outshooting pretty much everyone they played. The healthy Coyotes were no joke.

I think they would have made the playoffs

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Team still has fat to cut. Marleau and Hainsey are both well past their primes, and their poor play is a liability to the rest of the team. It's a nauseating having to watch our best defenseman and (arguably) best forward drag these two around on the ice with them. Lindholm accomplishes nothing and we'd be better off with Moore instead. Or y'know, could've just kept Leivo and kicked Lindholm down but whatever.

I don't know how much this team can get done during the next 7 days, but it'd be great if they could add another RIGHT defenseman this time since Babcock doesn't seem to want to Muzzin-Rielly to become a thing.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Truth is that we know very little about how this team performs in the playoffs. Playoffs is a different season and a different sport. I can't wait till the playoffs.
That’s an issue with the new NHL salary jump.
Straight from ELC to big dollars and limited playoff sample size.

It’s going to be interesting for sure.

Reactions: dsred

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Team still has fat to cut. Marleau and Hainsey are both well past their primes, and their poor play is a liability to the rest of the team. It's a nauseating having to watch our best defenseman and (arguably) best forward drag these two around on the ice with them. Lindholm accomplishes nothing and we'd be better off with Moore instead. Or y'know, could've just kept Leivo and kicked Lindholm down but whatever.

I don't know how much this team can get done during the next 7 days, but it'd be great if they could add another RIGHT defenseman this time since Babcock doesn't seem to want to Muzzin-Rielly to become a thing.
Well if not this year I think it’s along term issue that needs to be addressed.

1 solid RHD and Marleau + additional forward blue collar/skilled/grinding.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You don't post anything but vile put downs. I'm ok with fair criticism but I draw the line when you say any of our young players shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Kucherov. He is a great player for sure but he aint a leaf so F-him.

Actually you are very wrong. I have over the years been only on the side of our team, players, fans, and market. I have defended AM, MM, WN, and our fan base many, many times. Go for it, look through my posts, minus the "serious contenders" or anything to do with the way we play defence.

I am also an NHL fan who loves to post about all the young players, and have not had any issue with other fan bases on here....just my fellow Leaf fans though, for some reason I have to always say "GO LEAFS GO" and "we will win the cup"

I share my opinion on how our forwards play D, or how our D position themselves, our how we play under pressure, and I am right, not wrong in saying that, nor should I be put down for stating the very obvious, and who the hell are you to make me feel that way?

I mean no disrespect to you, or our fan base, I simply speak about what happens on the ice. Also, if you want to state that our young players are Kuch level, go for it, if you want MM to make 11m, go for it. I have defended my stance on what he is worth, and what AM's contract looks like..... because you know why? I WANT US to not blow our whole cap on a few players, and build a CUP contending team with depth.

But if you feel I am some leaf hater, go ahead, I literally don't give a single shit, but I am not here trying to disrespect you.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are contenders, but I see them more as 2nd tier and underdogs to the big dogs of teams like TB, Winnipeg, Nashville etc.

This is the Leafs best lineup talent wise in a long time, but talent alone does not always win out ..

Will and desire bests skill and those are components that this Leafs line-up will need to show it possesses because

2305433-Kevin-Constantine-Quote-In-the-playoffs-will-beats-skill.jpg

the-will-must-be-stronger-than-the-skill-quote-1.jpg

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

I somewhat don't think we are anymore.

I had hope when it looked like TBAY/Boston would face each other 1rst round

now it looks like we have to deal with Boston and a very good chance they have HIA

and then deal with tbay with HIA

nope sorry,,, i just do not see it

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs are contenders, but I see them more as 2nd tier and underdogs to the big dogs of teams like TB, Winnipeg, Nashville etc.

This is the Leafs best lineup talent wise in a long time, but talent alone does not always win out ..

Will and desire bests skill and those are components that this Leafs line-up will need to show it possesses because

2305433-Kevin-Constantine-Quote-In-the-playoffs-will-beats-skill.jpg

the-will-must-be-stronger-than-the-skill-quote-1.jpg
First order of business this year (because any serious change should come in the summer) is to see who shows up and in what capacity. Then how the entire team supports itself. One or 2 players can’t be taking all the load with aggressive/playoff hockey while the others watch.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
First order of business this year (because any serious change should come in the summer) is to see who shows up and in what capacity. Then how the entire team supports itself. One or 2 players can’t be taking all the load with aggressive/playoff hockey while the others watch.

I believe or at least I hope that Dubas will address this in the next week prior to the TD.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I believe or at least I hope that Dubas will address this in the next week prior to the TD.
The trade deadline is often overpriced and underwhelming.

We shouldn’t be in the market for rentals as I believe what we lack needs to be addressed long term.
A solid RHD and some blue collar, skilled forwards. Those that get into, behind and through the action.
I also want to see how the players we are committing big dollars too are going to perform.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Sure, we can score, but when it comes right down to it, we won't see 6-5 games in the playoffs, teams tighten up. I still have faith we will score above average, but my beef is that teams will still hammer our defence.

I just think when it comes right down to it, we have to go through teams like Boston, Tampa, Wsh, Jackets, etc. These teams will have every forward playing a strong defensive game.

If it's down to the last shot, and we have to go against guys like Chara, Jones, Hedman, Mcavoy, etc. I think it will be tough, not to mention forwards like Bergeron.

The hard truth is our D has not proven anything, and have had a hard time handling pressure.

Maybe this is the year we change that, maybe not, but I know those other teams will shut things down.

ATM Boston has HIA on us , last POs they had 18 home PPs to our 5 home PPs in the series

This season they are smoking us in powerplay opportunities AND have a better PP , Boston 6th in powerplay Opps,,,leafs 30th

Boston 2 PPs short of being 4th most home PPs,, we are 31rst AND 10 home PPs less then 30th

This imbalance will continue and it will wreck us, you can bank on that.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
More power plays, Andersen getting run with immunity, Kadri getting suspended for retaliation for a hard hit, and Gardiner coughing up the puck because he doesn't like to be hit.

None of these are because they were a more physical team?

I'm not saying Boston will beat us. Elsewhere I think I said we had a 60% chance of beating them. I just think they are a team we don't match up well against, and I think part of it is their physical play.

And I hope I'm wrong, and we beat them in four games.

I put our chances at 35% that we beat the Bruins.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I put our chances at 35% that we beat the Bruins.

If this team would show passion and dig deep they could win. I dont see the hunger or aggressive traits of a winner here though. Marner has it, Rielly has it thos year. JT as well. FREDDY OBVIOUSLY.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The trade deadline is often overpriced and underwhelming.

We shouldn’t be in the market for rentals as I believe what we lack needs to be addressed long term.
A solid RHD and some blue collar, skilled forwards. Those that get into, behind and through the action.
I also want to see how the players we are committing big dollars too are going to perform.

Brett Pesce and Ferlund would address 2 birds with one stone.

Reactions: Al14

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I’ve taken the time to refrain from commenting elsewhere. Why? Cause there are a lot of nutters about. Of course this team can be improved. Of course there are players we’d like to see contribute more. Of course, we recognize that our coaching isn’t what ‘we’ consider to be optimum. Of course, Dubas is responsible for all things wrong and sees the game....oh it’s so easy. Just look at the PGTs. A horror show! We win, 8-10 pages, lose and it’s 16-18+ with venomous intent. Leaf fans lying in the weeds, praying (preying) to have a chance to prove their superior knowledge. It’s a disease.

Yes, Babcock is questionable.
Yes, Marleau isn’t what he was.
Yes, ...no team is perfect and we’ve done pretty well this year given the evolving nature of this team...I mean, come on, people are now dumping on Marner?

Stay away from your keyboard and watch a game by yourself. You’ll enjoy it more and not get so riled up by the nonsense that some need to spill. Hockey can be fun.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Simply because I guessing the GDT is quite angry right now...this game against the Islanders is pure gold, comedy gold. My goodness, if they've played a worse game this year I haven't seen it. Were I Babs, I don't think I'd do anything other than close the door to the locker room, address the press and tell the boys 'see you on the plane'. I'm outta here, 'cause after the 6th I realized laughing at this effort was my only option. Have a good night everyone.

Reactions: wingman75

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
We could beat TB. We could also lose to PIT/WSH/BOS, maybe even MTL (though I like our chances there much better than against the other teams).

I agree we're serious contenders and on paper, the best team we've had since 67. There are a lot of contenders out there though so it won't be easy. Should be a very interesting spring!
Tampa will be odds on favourites to win the whole shebang
now if they had TOM BRADY in net I'd bet heavily
our highest paid players have to show up and it's always goaltending

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
7 hours to the drop of the puck and I'm still on board with this team being a serious contender. Leafs in 6, Andersen and Kadri huge, Nylander a surprise contributor, Matthews, Marner, JT and Rielly doing what they do and Muzzin dishing some major hits when the team needs a lift. While the D pairings look to be Rielly/Hainsey, Muzz/Zaits, I'm going to say that Gards and Dermott are going to surprise in a good way. Of course things will go into the blender, but G/D as a third pairing should be able to spring Marleau/Kadri/Nylander (as things stand now) in a good way. Go Leafs Go!

Reactions: Gary Nylund

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I love the Leafs chances this year. We have a chance to do something very special. Mathews should have a much better playoffs and I love that Kappy is playing with him. He is willing to get to pucks and this will create opportunities for offence for that line.

JT is going to be man possessed as is his line mates Boston will have its hands full containing this kind.
Kadri line is going to create headaches for the Bruins as well. Kadri will make several big hits getting the Bruins all worked up and off their game opening up ice for his line mates.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad