WCSF Gm#6: KINGS vs. Sharks - 5/26/13 - One More Win.

KingKopitar11*

I just really can't get over what a missed opportunity tonight was. The Sharks didn't impress me at all tonight. They looked nervous, tenative, and a little beat up. I thought the Sharks team we saw in the first period of game four was by far the best they've played in this series. We didn't get close to their best tonight and we managed to limp away with a loss.

It's frustrating because this team, for the most part, has no idea what it's like to play a game seven. There are, I think, two impact players (Richards, Carter) that have played a game seven before? Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, even Quick - none of these guys have any idea what kind of a thing that is in the postseason. Hell, most posters on this forum were probably too young or not following the team very close in 2002 - the last time we were in a game seven. It sucks and literally one bad bounce is all that's between moving on and going home.

I really, really, really don't want to lose to that stoner faced gutless never-won-anything Joe Thornton. I just really, really don't. But I've said it for weeks now - I just really don't think it's our year. Nothing is coalescing like it did last year. Lines are out of wack, the team is beat up, Sutter is making absolutely bizarre lineup decisions. Just not our year, I don't think. Which sucks, certainly.

All I know is that there wasn't nearly the amount of turnover in the roster to justify going from the team that set records on the road last playoffs to the team that has officially gone 1-7-3 in its last 11 on the road. Pretty ****ing sad.

Man, one of the bad things about bring a whole roster back is that all of them know they have nothing else to prove after a cup. They are okay with it, especially on the road.

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
I really, really, really don't want to lose to that stoner faced gutless never-won-anything Joe Thornton. I just really, really don't. d.

ART2006.jpg

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I really, really, really don't want to lose to that stoner faced gutless never-won-anything Joe Thornton.
I've never been a fan of him. I already dislike passers (H. Sedin, Thornton, Getzlaf) and that beard doesnt help either. Good player but one of the most overrated ones in my book.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Canucks and Devils didn't win... This team already looks exhausted, and I'm pretty sure the 2011 Bruins were the extreme exception.

Three out of four conference finalist and both WCF will have at least one 7-game series this season:

- Boston against Toronto;
- Detroit against Anaheim / Chicago against Detroit if they go through
- Kings/Sharks

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's frustrating because this team, for the most part, has no idea what it's like to play a game seven. There are, I think, two impact players (Richards, Carter) that have played a game seven before?

Richie and Carts are 3-0 in game 7's with the Flyers, including a OT wn in 2008 vs Caps. 2008 (Caps) 2010 (Bruins) and 2011 (Sabres)

Scuds is 2-0 in game 7's w'Pens both in 2009 when the Pens won the Cup, including the Finals.

Regehr is 1 -3 in game 7's , 2008 loss (sharks) 2006 Loss (ducks) 2004 Win (Canucks) Loss in Cup finals to Lightning

Matt Greene was on the OIlers when they lost in 7 games to the Hurricane in 2006

So the Kings have some veteran players who have been thru those wars and know what it takes.

If the Kings can stay out of the penalty box and come out as good as they did in game 5 at home, they should win . It would be great to see a solid 1st where they come out roaring and put 2 in. Keep the Sharks on their heels all night.

Last edited:

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Other than the idiotic penalties, the chances and intensity needed to win the game were there for the most part. The Sharks were the opportunistic ones tonight, in my opinion, and were backed by a very solid effort from Niemi. One of the few games I've seen us lose recently where we carried the bulk of the play.

I agree with Sutter re: Game 7, who cares. I think we're past questioning the mental toughness of this team after the Cup run last year, coming back against St. Louis this year, and completely halting San Jose's momentum in Game 5. They're mentally tough, but they're playing a frigging good team that can earn a victory over us through no fault of our own.

This series has been predicted by a surprising number of folks. Home ice advantage and the matchup game has pivotal. I don't expect it to be any different in LA, and I think we're going to win it.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
It's frustrating because this team, for the most part, has no idea what it's like to play a game seven.

Come on now. What do you think last years Kings/Devils game 6 was? That was the Kings game 7. They had to win that game.

They have the experience needed to win tomorrow night.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Yep. Missed opportunity. Too many penalties, three posts put the Kings behind, and pretty effective neutral zone play by the Sharks in the third kept them there.

Loved Sutter's post game: keeping the atmosphere around the club and the big game Tuesday light and fun.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
O.K. Who is going to be the hero? DS pick your 20 and let's get it on! Love game 7 Do or die.
I will come back to the boards on Tuesday night and read all about how great this team is or how everyone here will say we need to get rid of this guy or that guy. No matter what I will not question the 20 DS
decides to put on the ice.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
For such a strong home team the sharks beat us 3 times 2-1, with 2 games that were decided by a 5-3. One in OT and one bad no goal call. They got breaks at home but we will dominate game 7 and shut them down.

Alisa

Quickie fangirl
Oct 10, 2010
Orange County, Ca
Waking up nervous, but also a little more rational. This has been a home ice series, the Sharks have been phenomenal at HP. It's a little ridiculous for me to be walking around today with the Charlie Brown music playing wherever I go and a dark cloud over my head because we weren't able to pull off stealing a game in San Jose.

The Sharks were playing for their lives, in front of a home crowd they have performed well for. The necessity of the 5 on 3 which gave them the game was questionable. Plus 3 posts. THREE mf posts. We still could have taken that game.

But we didn't. And here we are at game 7, with a team that has excelled under pressure in the past and is even better on our home ice than our opponents. Two things team has displayed recently is an ability to dominate at home, and the capability of finishing strong when it's all on the line.

Guess we're going to have to believe in the Kings ability to win it with some of what got us here.

Mark my words, the win tomorrow will make it all worth it.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
That's the closest thing to a cup he is ever gonna get.

True and of course that picture was taken last year, wasn't it?

No......... that doesn't sound right........

Well, at least that pic was taken no more than two years ago, right?

No....after thinking about it I think the last time "jumbo" won a trophy for his individual efforts was back in 2006.

So that pic is from 2006 and a shark fan thought that it was somehow relevant to anything in this thread? Wow that is really sad when you think about it.

Joe is still a good player but posting a pic of him with a couple of trophies that he won back in 2006 to say anything about this series that is taking place 7 years later is just well, sad.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
As long as the Kings stay out of the box, and don't spot SJ a lead in the first Five minutes.

They will give them selves a good chance to win.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Unreal that we've lost 6 straight games 2-1, dating back to Game 5 of the New Jersey series. Have to play our game and set the tone tomorrow. Can't take stupid penalties early and let the referees dictate the game. The Kings have only played a solid 60 minutes in Game 5 of this series, that is literally the only solid game they've played throughout the whole playoffs. Hopefully they bring that same intensity tomorrow. Stoll skating again, I'd love to see him back in the lineup.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Unreal that we've lost 6 straight games 2-1, dating back to Game 5 of the New Jersey series. Have to play our game and set the tone tomorrow. Can't take stupid penalties early and let the referees dictate the game. The Kings have only played a solid 60 minutes in Game 5 of this series, that is literally the only solid game they've played throughout the whole playoffs. Hopefully they bring that same intensity tomorrow. Stoll skating again, I'd love to see him back in the lineup.

I'd just love to see Toffoli in the lineup.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

That's not entirely true, you could say their last 6 postseason losses have been 2-1, but they haven't lost the 6 straight 2-1 games. They won Game 6 vs STL, 2-1.

AKAY47

Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
I'd just love to see Toffoli in the lineup.

Hahaha, so would I. I was born & raised in Ottawa, watch the 67s all the time and loved him since the second he put the 67s jersey on. Seen him at clubs a bunch of time, he's the coolest dude. I hope he plays tomorrow, I really do, and definitely deserves to play.

AKAY47

Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
That's not entirely true, you could say their last 6 postseason losses have been 2-1, but they haven't lost the 6 straight 2-1 games. They won Game 6 vs STL 2-1.

Lol, you know what I meant. Last 6 post-season games were 2-1 losses, sorry.

AKAY47

Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
@FrozenRoyalty: #lakings Jarret Stoll skates again today. There was no contact for anyone during optional skate.

@FrozenRoyalty: When asked how he was feeling, #lakings Jarret Stoll said, “I still know your name.”

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
As long as the Kings stay out of the box, and don't spot SJ a lead in the first Five minutes.

They will give them selves a good chance to win.

This, a million times this. Repeat the same performance as Game 5. Hit them hard and often, stay disciplined and out of the box, and that will minimize the Sharks' scoring opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad