WCSF Gm#6: KINGS vs. Sharks - 5/26/13 - One More Win.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Alright, you inspired me to do a little research....

2012 - Kings: Did not go 7 games
2011 - Boston: Went 7 games in the 1st round and 3rd round
2010 - Chicago: Did not go 7 games
2009 - Penguins: Went 7 games in 2nd round vs Washington
2008 - Detroit: Did not go 7 games.
2007 - Ducks: Did not go 7 games
2006 - Carolina: Went 7 games in 3rd round vs Buffalo
2005 - Lockout
2004 - Tampa Bay: Went 7 games in 3rd round vs Philly
2003 - New Jersey: Went 7 games in 3rd round vs Ottawa
2002 - Detroit: Went 7 games in 3rd round vs Colorado

So just taking a relatively small sample size of the last ten NHL seasons, 60% of the teams that won the cup played at least one 7 game series before the Stanley cup final.

Hrm, for some reason I thought it was more rare, I stand corrected. I still feel like the Kings already are looking tired as hell, but who knows, anything can happen!

Sydor25

LA Kings
Hrm, for some reason I thought it was more rare, I stand corrected. I still feel like the Kings already are looking tired as hell, but who knows, anything can happen!

It's when a team goes seven in the first two rounds. I believe no one has won a cup after playing 14 games in the first two rounds. I remember hearing that after the rangers played 14 games last year.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If Sutter decides to mix lines up, try this look:

Brown-Kopitar-Carter (grinder, passer, shooter)
Penner-Richards-Toffoli (grinder, passer, shooter)
King-Lewis-Williams (grinder, two-way forward, shooter)
Clifford-Fraser-Richardson (grinder, grinder, speedy winger)

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
The Kings had more even strength goals with King-Lewis-Brown and Clifford-Kopi-Williams than that top line had. That isn't the answer either, and honestly, if that top line came back together on Tuesday, barring an unreal performance by the second line we would likely be out of the playoffs. I think Sutter took the wrong guy off the top line. Go with Brown-Kopitar-Toffoli, push Williams down to the third line.

The top line from last year should be done for the rest of this postseason. They haven't done a thing since the middle of the season.

I'm guessing Sutter goes back to the Game 5 lineup. He had to try something new in San Jose to try to neutralize the matchup advantage. It didn't work. Kings haven't won there in since 4/2011.

I only wanted San Jose if we had home ice. Game 7 is why. It was inevitable, but I'll take Jonathan Quick at home for a game 7 anytime.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Wouldn't bother me with Richardson over Clifford. He does play on the PK. I just want Martinez back in the lineup. He is the only one besides doughty they can skate the luck out of his zone. He also gets his shots through, something Muzzin is unable to do at this time. Muzzin has gone full Pejorative Slur, but I think Sutter likes his size against the sharks.

Muzzin also gives more minutes, A-Mart hasn't played 16+ minutes consistently in about a year.

A-Mart is not all of sudden going to do it.

That's why Muzzin continues to be in the lineup.

You have to keep the minutes reasonable. A-Mart only playing 12 mins is not enough to replace Muzzin.

It's enough to replace Greene right now.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
It's when a team goes seven in the first two rounds. I believe no one has won a cup after playing 14 games in the first two rounds. I remember hearing that after the rangers played 14 games last year.

Wonder how much only playing roughly half the games in the regular season would affect the above stat.

If you play 2, 7 game series that puts a team up to what 62 games for this season?

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
That Sutter press conference is legendary. I hope the guys are fired up after that, he rarely shows that kind of emotion.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Ah yep, that must be what I was remembering, thanks for clearing it up. In any case, the Kings looked tired tonight. They had a real tough time doing anything out there in the second half of the game. One game to rule them all Tuesday, I can only imagine if this were the finals...

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
If Sutter decides to mix lines up, try this look:

Brown-Kopitar-Carter (grinder, passer, shooter)
Penner-Richards-Toffoli (grinder, passer, shooter)
King-Lewis-Williams (grinder, two-way forward, shooter)
Clifford-Fraser-Richardson (grinder, grinder, speedy winger)

I like this lineup for the most part. Bottom line is to get Toffoli on the top 3 lines, so he can get some TOI. I could see TT playing any of the top 3 RW positions. Heck, I may even move him up to the 1st line with Brownie and Kopi.

Sydor25

LA Kings
Muzzin also gives more minutes, A-Mart hasn't played 16+ minutes consistently in about a year.

A-Mart is not all of sudden going to do it.

That's why Muzzin continues to be in the lineup.

You have to keep the minutes reasonable. A-Mart only playing 12 mins is not enough to replace Muzzin.

It's enough to replace Greene right now.

Which is why I would go with seven defensemen. The kings 4th line has been useless and this would also allow brown, carter and Williams to get on the ice against the sharks 4th line.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
I don't understand why reporters don't ask Sutter about Martinez and why he's not playing him? Or why he put Nolan in instead of Toffoli?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Which is why I would go with seven defensemen. The kings 4th line has been useless and this would also allow brown, carter and Williams to get on the ice against the sharks 4th line.

I wouldn't mind 7 D ether. The fourth line has been non existent all year.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't understand why reporters don't ask Sutter about Martinez and why he's not playing him? Or why he put Nolan in instead of Toffoli?

They don't care.

You would get a generic answer anyway.

Sutter " I play the players that will give me the minutes I want out of them"...

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Because Martinez is a non-factor. Not why we'd lose the series or win it. It's all about our top guys.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Because Martinez is a non-factor. Not why we'd lose the series or win it. It's all about our top guys.

This is the other thing.

The most complete game of 60 minute Hockey the Kigns have played all year.

Was with A-Mart in the stands watching.

It was the big boys showing up that made the difference.

A-Mart and his 12mins of ice time doesn't decide if the Kings win or lose.

Kopitar has two goals....Brown has three ?

This time last year , Kopitar had 7 Brown had 8.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Well, after cooling off from the results, I think this is a good opportunity to see what the Kings are made of, that's for sure. Winning a big game 7 like this I think can rocket them through the WCF.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
This is the other thing.

The most complete game of 60 minute Hockey the Kigns have played all year.

Was with A-Mart in the stands watching.

It was the big boys showing up that made the difference.

A-Mart and his 12mins of ice time doesn't decide if the Kings win or lose.

So when our big boys show up we win and when they don't we lose. Its like saying that only we can determine rather or not we win or lose and the sharks aren't capable of beating us at our best. We are the better team.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
So when our big boys show up we win and when they don't we lose. Its like saying that only we can determine rather or not we win or lose and the sharks aren't capable of beating us at our best. We are the better team.

I think you can say that about any team though.

The Game is about your top players.

I think the Kings are a better team, but if your top players don't show up....

Then you lose, better team or not.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
We hit 3 posts and Niemi held strong for 40 minutes. We took too many penalties and it cost us.

Not even close to as disappointed as I was after Game 4. We were in this game the whole way, which is an improvement over most of our road games.

This is how I felt. There were some critical mistakes that cost us, but we got some chances and were competitive. At times SJ was dominant, but we fought back. Sloppy passing, especially on breakouts, was an issue, but I didn't get the impression of sheer lethargy that they've shown in other road games. Disappointed, but not angry.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If you're talking about socal reporters, they probably don't know who Martinez is.

Is that the guy who plays for the LA Galaxy?

Ding, ding, ding!

"I thought Deadmarsh looked solid in tonight's loss, you?"
"Why did you take Toffoli out and put Vachon in?"
"Hey coach, what do you think of Ersberg only allowing two goals?"
"The Kings lost a tight game in 1981, 8-5. How will you build off that?"
"Why has Robitaille been a healthy-scratch for so long, he must be in game shape, no?"
"Ever thought of putting Kurri on the top line next to Kopidor?"
"Doty needs to be moved to center."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad