WCSF Gm#6: KINGS vs. Sharks - 5/26/13 - One More Win.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yeah, Quick is the least of my worries. I don't see SJ scoring 3 goals.

As has been the case in every game in this series, when the Kings best forwards show up like they did in game 5 they win, when they play like they did in game 6, they lose.

The Kings need Kopitar to play like he did in Game 5 and Richards the way he played in Game 2.

The good news is both those guys have been great at home, and tomorrows game is at home.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Yeah, Quick is the least of my worries. I don't see SJ scoring 3 goals.

As has been the case in every game in this series, when the Kings best forwards show up like they did in game 5 they win, when they play like they did in game 6, they lose.

The Kings need Kopitar to play like he did in Game 5 and Richards the way he played in Game 2.

The good news is both those guys have been great at home, and tomorrows game is at home.

We also need Lewis to step up and do a better job in the face off circle along with everyone else too. The team that wins the most face offs wins the game. It has held true this series I believe. Just a contributing factor to the win.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Keys to the game:

- Stay out of the box. Don't allow the referees to dictate the pace of the game.

- Hit them hard and hit them often. Don't give the Sharks' skill players space and time to setup in the offensive zone. Having favorable line match ups will address this. The Kings can outmatch the Sharks in the hitting game.

- Faceoffs. Even if they don't cleanly win them or lose them to the Sharks, do not allow them to get a clean win that allows them to setup for a scoring chance. Tie up sticks and quickly pounce on the puck or puck carrier if they lose a draw.

- Shots. They need to pile Niemi with lots of shots from every direction. He gives up a lot of rebounds and will struggle if he's peppered repeatedly with shots.

- Puck movement. This is what really hurt the Kings in the 3rd period last night. They had too many turnovers when exiting their zone and in the neutral zone. The defense has to support the forwards and vice versa in getting the puck up the ice, and they have to get the puck deep. The more time the Sharks defense has the puck on their sticks, the better for the Kings as the Sharks defense can be frustrated by an aggressive fore check.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Keys to the game:

- Stay out of the box. Don't allow the referees to dictate the pace of the game.

- Hit them hard and hit them often. Don't give the Sharks' skill players space and time to setup in the offensive zone. Having favorable line match ups will address this. The Kings can outmatch the Sharks in the hitting game.

- Faceoffs. Even if they don't cleanly win them or lose them to the Sharks, do not allow them to get a clean win that allows them to setup for a scoring chance. Tie up sticks and quickly pounce on the puck or puck carrier if they lose a draw.

- Shots. They need to pile Niemi with lots of shots from every direction. He gives up a lot of rebounds and will struggle if he's peppered repeatedly with shots.

- Puck movement. This is what really hurt the Kings in the 3rd period last night. They had too many turnovers when exiting their zone and in the neutral zone. The defense has to support the forwards and vice versa in getting the puck up the ice, and they have to get the puck deep. The more time the Sharks defense has the puck on their sticks, the better for the Kings as the Sharks defense can be frustrated by an aggressive fore check.

All excellent points but I bolded the third one because it was our absolute undoing in the last game (and the loss before that one too).

We are being pressured at our own blue line and in the N zone too resulting in allot of trouble. The sharks play an almost trap/lock game and it is giving us fits at times. Not saying that they are breaking the rules but they are testing them in the way that they press two to one side.

Send DS your post here and have him post it up on the board. Sound right to me.

KingKopitar11*

What would really help is Amart. He is the only defenseman besides doughty that is good with the puck*and skating it out.

Hopefully Toffoli is in too.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
What would really help is Amart. He is the only defenseman besides doughty that is good with the puck*and skating it out.

Hopefully Toffoli is in too.

At home I would agree, cause Sutter could hide A-Mart's terrible 5 on 5 play.

Shelter his minutes to PP / Offensive zone starts only.

If Kings lose possession A-Mart could go right to the bench.

I would like to see 7 D man dressed again.

That gives Sutter the option to use A-Mart/Muzz Drew/Slava on all PP's or critical offensive faceoff's.

That way the Kings don't have to see Scuds/Regehr seeing PP time.

Last edited:

KingKopitar11*

At home I would agree, cause Sutter could hide A-Mart's terrible 5 on 5 play.

Shelter his minutes to PP / Offensive zone starts only.

If Kings lose possession A-Mart could go right to the bench.

I would like to see 7 D man dressed again.

That gives Sutter the option to use A-Mart/Muzz Drew/Slava on all PP's or critical offensive faceoff's.

That way the Kings don't have to see Scuds/Regehr seeing PP time.

That's quite the exaggeration saying that he's terrible on 5 on 5.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
That's quite the exaggeration saying that he's terrible on 5 on 5.

He is.....A-Mart had a career worst year 5 on 5. ...

No way to sugar coat it. Some years guys just don't have it. This year it's A-Mart.

It's one reason he is not in the lineup, and Hasn't been most of the year.

Doesn't mean A-Mart won't bounce back next year.

But this year everything went in the wrong direction for A-Mart, and you can't just blame that on a Coach.

Fenwick/Corsi/SH%/Blocks/Hits/Points/ice time/Even Strength GA....All went south for A-Mart.

Career worst year.

I am confident A-Mart will play better next year.

Last edited:

KingKopitar11*

He is.....A-Mart had a career worst year 5 on 5. ...

No way to sugar coat it. Some years guys just don't have it. This year it's A-Mart.

It's one reason he is not in the lineup, and Hasn't been most of the year.

Doesn't mean A-Mart won't bounce back next year.

Im not gonna judge Amart on one bad regular season performance when most of our Defense started bad.

Amart was very good for us in the playoffs last year and this year except one bad game this year.

He's better than muzzin and he shouldn't be sitting.

Anyways, Martinez's puck handling would really help us leave the zone better.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Im not gonna judge Amart on one bad regular season performance when most of our Defense started bad.

Amart was very good for us in the playoffs last year and this year except one bad game this year.

He's better than muzzin and he shouldn't be sitting.

Anyways, Martinez's puck handling would really help us leave the zone better.

Muzzin has played tougher minutes all year.

I would say A-Mart is more talented and has a better transition skill set.

But this year Muzzin earned the right to play over A-Mart.

Like I said though A-Mart will no doubt bounce back next year.

Guy has too much talent not too.

Also if they sat a D man I think Sutter would sit Greene, A-Mart would have to replace Muzzin's minutes.

That would be asking A-Mart to play anywhere from 16 to 20+ minutes....Which A-Mart has not done all year consistently.

Last edited:

KingKopitar11*

Muzzin has played tougher minutes all year.

I would say A-Mart is more talented and has a better transition skill set.

But this year Muzzin earned the right to play over A-Mart.

Because Martinez started off injured, so I am not surprised by the minutes.

And No he hasnt imo. Since Muzzin stopped playing with Doughty as his partner, he's been crap.

And If i recall correctly, Amart didnt have the best partners when he came back.

Amart and Greene were phenomenal last year. I have no doubt he is a better choice than Muffin.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Because Martinez started off injured, so I am not surprised by the minutes.

And No he hasnt imo. Since Muzzin stopped playing with Doughty as his partner, he's been crap.

And If i recall correctly, Amart didnt have the best partners when he came back.

I think Muzzin has played fine, That 6-0 record everyone harps on...Was with Muzzin in the lineup playing more minutes than A-Mart....

KingKopitar11*

I think Muzzin has played fine, That 6-0 record everyone harps on...Was with Muzzin in the lineup playing more minutes than A-Mart....

Doesnt matter. Most of us would agree that Martinez is a better choice than Muzzin. And we don't have to be a coach to see that.

And last night sitting Toffoli was another mistake. Can't have it all. Human error.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Doesnt matter. Most of us would agree that Martinez is a better choice than Muzzin. And we don't have to be a coach to see that.

And last night sitting Toffoli was another mistake. Can't have it all. Human error.

I didn't understand the Nolan switch ether....That was bizarre.

Nolan has not played well all year.

At most Nolan would have played what ? 7 mins ?

It was a road game, so you can't expect Nolan to play more than that.

Could have at least played Toffoli 13 mins.

Maybe Toffoli is nursing an injury, who knows.

The Kings are not going to tell anyone who is injured and who is not.

It's all so hush hush.

KingKopitar11*

I didn't understand the Nolan switch ether....That was bizarre.

Nolan has not played well all year.

At most Nolan would have played what ? 7 mins ?

It was a road game, so you can't expect Nolan to play more than that.

Could have at least played Toffoli 13 mins.

That was a real head scratcher.

Also I think we would know if toffoli was injured. He's a bottom 6 I dont think they keep quiet about bottom 6 players. Who knows man.

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
Dame I'm nervous as hell. Anything can happen that is the worst part, unlucky bounces, bad calls, missed calls and these guys have had our number before.

I pray that the best possible play from Kings show up and they manhandle Sharks and never give them a chance to get anything going. I don't want to be nervous I want to feel confident that we have this in the bag. No nail biting or heavy heart pounding just nice enjoyable Kings game won in big fashion.

Who the **** am I trying to fool..I wont be able to sleep that's for sure.

Please Kings-Sharks 4-0.

KingLuc20

Feb 19, 2012
Alberta
No Worries Boys! Kings will Win and Thank the Big Guy in the Sky for Quick!! Kings biggest Canadian Fan Ever!!!! Kings 5 Sharks 3 Now play some Sutter Hockey Boys!!! GO Kings Go!! :yo:

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Ron,

The problem is, it's been happening all series on the road and Sutter never once made an adjustment. He could have not sent that line out there after a whistle, or he could have split up Carter from Richards, yet he has been stubborn and kept them together, and the Kings elite sniper has spent the vast majority of his time in SJ watching his buddy try and stop Joe Thornton.

Unless I misread a Sutter quote he wants Richards against Thornton but is having carter take the face-offs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad