New Head Coach search

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Dundon is a numbers guy. Let go their long time broadcasters because he wants to go cheap there - radio now just rebroadcasts the TV, and the whalers era announcer was given a take or leave lowball.

He does spend on the important stuff. He’s also trying to get a MLB team for Raleigh.

That said it would be an error to let Rod go. But we should take him

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Their prispect pool isn't bad but it isn't very good and it can't be goid - their organisation is so young, they have only few drafts and they were play off team year ago. On expansion draft Francis didn't mine a lot of picks as he could. They are not Vegas, they need time.

I’ve like how they’ve drafted, other than some of their 1sts, but that “other” is a bit of a problem.

Was meh about their expansion draft but I’ve like a lot of the FAs they picked up.

It’s a well-run org.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’ve like how they’ve drafted, other than some of their 1sts, but that “other” is a bit of a problem.

Was meh about their expansion draft but I’ve like a lot of the FAs they picked up.

It’s a well-run org.
They benefitted from the flat cap more than most teams. They may lose their whole defense over the next two years. Let’s see how this plays out for them. They haven’t won anything yet with this core.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Dundon is a numbers guy. Let go their long time broadcasters because he wants to go cheap there - radio now just rebroadcasts the TV, and the whalers era announcer was given a take or leave lowball.

He does spend on the important stuff. He’s also trying to get a MLB team for Raleigh.

That said it would be an error to let Rod go. But we should take him

That kinda hints at them not keeping Rod. He'll demand a significant salary. Numbers guy would see that you can get similar results with a good, cheaper coach.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
That kinda hints at them not keeping Rod. He'll demand a significant salary. Numbers guy would see that you can get similar results with a good, cheaper coach.
There is a business aspect to it though. Rod is a franchise legend there. If you cheap out on keeping him and his staff (apparently the hang up is staff), that signals to the market that you aren’t invested in the team. That is different from a hockey / cap decision. It’s much the same of having to match the Aho offer sheet.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Let’s see how they do with the defenders that are all coming up for UFA deals
They probably can't afford them because of the salary cap. Plus they have Scott Morrow who will 100% be a starter on their blueline next season.
This year is probably their best shot at winning the Cup. If they lose maybe them moving on from Brind'Amour might be an option. Probably not a smart one but you never know.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

It’s a well-run org.
I can agree, but still expansion draft was not enthusiastic and was not bold. Readon why they had slow start. And they need time to gain muscles. Beniers-Wright-Firkus is pretty good center vertical in perspective.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
In a salary cap world the teams with money should spend a ton on coaches, facilities, farm team, and scouting because these are things that can make a difference that don’t impact your cap.
If all you care about is winning, yeah. But that’s also the stuff that comes directly out of a billionaire owner’s share of revenue, and therefore profits. Player salaries are a sunk cost, to some degree and some dudes just aren't willing to light money on fire if they can avoid it.

Me, I'd be in the red ever year for it, but maybe that's why I'm not rich enough to own a sports franchise.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They probably can't afford them because of the salary cap. Plus they have Scott Morrow who will 100% be a starter on their blueline next season.

This year is probably their best shot at winning the Cup. If they lose maybe them moving on from Brind'Amour might be an option. Probably not a smart one but you never know.
I’ll guess Morrow slots in for Burns. That does nothing if they lose Pesce. Beyond that they will add Nikishin who can replace one of the left handers that is up for renewal but not all three. I guess they can make a run at signing Slavin and Pesce and let everyone else go? It is still something of a risk.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if rod leaves, i have to imagine he goes to seattle. the pittsburgh tweet is interesting

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What's the rationale for this?

He's been a terrible bench manager for the majority of his career with Pittsburgh.

He was a terrible bench manager with Boston prior to Pitt. He's stubborn, he has little time for offensive oriented forwards who lack defensive game, he consistently approaches the league with an archiac mind set of what worked in 15-16. He's been running an umbrella powerplay for literally 10 years despite it not working for 3 or 4. He's been running his "controlled chaos" philosphy in a league that is about quick puck possesion. Etc.

The front office and coaching staff in Pittsburgh found a ton of success due to a multitude of voices in 15-16 and 16-17. Sullivan immediately burned the relationship with Phil Kessel following those cup winners once Tocchet left. He did a terrible job at managing young players which led to Daniel Sprong basically being utilized as a 4th line grinder his entirety as a Penguin.

He continously has used an approach for his bottom six that is better suited for 2009 over 2024.

Just don't see how he would be a good improvement over the issues of Ruff for the Devils. If anything, I'd argue he would be worse, plus it has been noted by "PIT INSIDERS" that one of the reasons John Marino was moved was because the staff felt he was uncoachable.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
He's been a terrible bench manager for the majority of his career with Pittsburgh.

He was a terrible bench manager with Boston prior to Pitt. He's stubborn, he has little time for offensive oriented forwards who lack defensive game, he consistently approaches the league with an archiac mind set of what worked in 15-16. He's been running an umbrella powerplay for literally 10 years despite it not working for 3 or 4. He's been running his "controlled chaos" philosphy in a league that is about quick puck possesion. Etc.

The front office and coaching staff in Pittsburgh found a ton of success due to a multitude of voices in 15-16 and 16-17. Sullivan immediately burned the relationship with Phil Kessel following those cup winners once Tocchet left. He did a terrible job at managing young players which led to Daniel Sprong basically being utilized as a 4th line grinder his entirety as a Penguin.

He continously has used an approach for his bottom six that is better suited for 2009 over 2024.

Just don't see how he would be a good improvement over the issues of Ruff for the Devils. If anything, I'd argue he would be worse, plus it has been noted by "PIT INSIDERS" that one of the reasons John Marino was moved was because the staff felt he was uncoachable.
Thanks for the insight. Yikes if he doesn't like Marino, might mean he's being shipped out at a low point in his value. The PP stuff I don't believe he'd be married to but who knows. What does he do with the bottom 6 that is bad? Usage? Isn't bottom 6 makeup usually the FO's responsibility?

I feel like Pitt has been in a pretty unique situation the past 4 years, not sure how much pull the (varied) FOs / veterans have over things he's done.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the insight. Yikes if he doesn't like Marino, might mean he's being shipped out at a low point in his value. The PP stuff I don't believe he'd be married to but who knows. What does he do with the bottom 6 that is bad? Usage? Isn't bottom 6 makeup usually the FO's responsibility?

I feel like Pitt has been in a pretty unique situation the past 4 years, not sure how much pull the (varied) FOs / veterans have over things he's done.

Mike Sullivan's approach to the bottom six is basically bury the 3rd and 4th line in as much defensive zone starts as possible with defensive minded guys who will play the other team to a draw. The idea being that the offensive forward will then be given the cake walk minutes.

The issue with this concept is he consistently relies on veterans regardless of what their on ice performance is like. Looking at New Jersey's roster last year the bottom six would've definitely seen Nosek, Tierney, and Lazar playing 82 games and significant minutes.

Heading into camp last year we had Samuel Poulin and Valtteri Puustinen looking great in preseason. Sullivan chose to play Jansen Harkins over both and frequently comments how Harkins - Acciari - Carter was "the identity line" for the team. Harkins had 4 assists in 40+ games. Puustinen was called up due to an injury. He finished the season with 20 points in 52 games.

PIT's veteran core has been part of the issue the last few years, but ask any Penguins fan on HF and Mike Sullivan is the # 1 culpert to why they've lacked success. The same issues have been present since their exit against Montreal. They can't keep leads, they have an ineffective powerplay, and they are absolute against infusing youth.

I would agree with you about Marino. There was a lot of rumors that year and summer about the relationship Marino had with the coaching staff. Now, that could've been with Reirden over Sullivan, but ultimately, I believe it lays at the foot of the head coach regardless and it's a story we've seen several times over the years with "fringe" players that show positives, but then suddenly seem to look worse the longer they stay with the Penguins. Kessel, Sprong, Kahun, Marino, there have been several examples and I don't think the players are without fault, but it does seem like Sullivan's approach wears on some.

Since being traded Guentzel has mentioned without encourgagement how great it is to be under a great coach in Carolina if you want more biased fuel for the fire from a noted Sullivan hater.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Seems like Pitt fans put a lot of the blame on Sullivan and not a whole lot of the blame on the fact that Malkin lost a step, 52 year old (citation needed) Lars Eller logged the 3rd most forward minutes on the team, Jeff Carter unironically played in 72 games and Ryan Graves experienced a career-nosedive type season.

It's certainly not unique to Penguins fans -- every team that fires their coach was disappointing, and every fanbase that's disappointed blames their coach. Look at us with Lindy. But in my experience, the worst person to ask about a potential coaching hire is the fanbase of the team who fired him.

Just ask Caps fans about Laviolette.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Seems like Pitt fans put a lot of the blame on Sullivan and not a whole lot of the blame on the fact that Malkin lost a step, 52 year old (citation needed) Lars Eller logged the 3rd most forward minutes on the team, Jeff Carter unironically played in 72 games and Ryan Graves experienced a career-nosedive type season.

It's certainly not unique to Penguins fans -- every team that fires their coach was disappointing, and every fanbase that's disappointed blames their coach. Look at us with Lindy. But in my experience, the worst person to ask about a potential coaching hire is the fanbase of the team who fired him.

You seem to be saying the coach is being wrongfully blamed for a bunch of things mostly controlled by.....the coach...

I'm not going to pretend to know anything super detailed about Sullivan, I'm just taking all the info in currently. But this is a weird way to frame an argument.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

I mean, Ruff is not a good coach to pick, if you're trying to win. That's not a made-up story about him. I don't really recall people trashing Deboer here when he got fired. Some got fed up with his favoritism with Harrold but that's about it.

Me personally, I don't think it's wise to just brush off a fan's description of a coach, especially when it seems pretty factual and not just a biased opinion.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

The Penguins have gone through multiple roster changes over the last 4 years and the issues have persisted.

People blame Hextall for Jared McCann leaving. Mike Sullivan scratched him in a playoff series for Sam Lafferty and consistently removed him from the powerplay and played him bottom six minutes.

Mike Sullivan could easily have success in New Jersey. There is a great core group there and he was honestly a great coach for us in 15-16 and 16-17 was 100% on the coaching staff in terms of that cup. But, he has huge, huge warts that have become more prevelant every year.

A lot of people said this same exact type of thing when Buffalo hired Bylsma. We all know how that worked out.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
THG on YouTube mentioned in his game review for the Tampa/Florida game that Kypreos said yesterday that if Tampa loses that game/series that Cooper might step down. He was the first one to mention this Sullivan (to NJ) stuff.

So I guess Kypreos is going around saying that about more than just Sullivan.

Weekes is now starting to imply the Sullivan stuff though. He kind of started that yesterday.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad