WCSF Gm#5: KINGS vs. Sharks - 5/23/13 - Shutown Win! Three Down, One to GO! GO KINGS!

Ron*

I'm not going to belabor the obvious. Jonathan Quick is an unbelievable goaltender. Just un-****ing-believable.

Give credit where it was due tonight as well: Both Greene and Penner had great games. Penner is something else when he wants to be.

Wish we saw that kind of effort every game from him.

There's a section at the end of the arena to the left of me that always chants "Penner! Penner! Penner!" LOL I asked him what he thought about that on Twitter once and he never responded. Probably his teammates give him grief over it.

One more thing: for those that went to the game, did you see the very old guy wearing St. Louis Cardinal gear? That guy could not have been less than 75 years old. I was walking back alongside the dude going back to my card and was itching to ask him if he just got lost going to Busch Stadium, but he wasn't having any of it, as several fans were yelling "St. Louis!" :/

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Said after Game 4, that if Kopitar and Richards played to their potential the Kings would win by multiple goals. I feel the same way going into Game 6.

Quick is always amazing, the defense (outside of Martinez in game 2) has been amazing, the only issues are with Kopitar and Richards taking nights off, it's been that way all season, if these guys play this well every night the Kings will win another Stanley Cup.

You really are something else.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
Mind-blowing statistic: Over the last two playoff years, the Kings are 21-0 when scoring at least two goals.

Quick is the best big-game goalie in the league. Bar none. That is a phenomenal stat.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but Matt Greene was freakin awesome! So awesome having him back! I can just imagine if we had Willie Mitchell! Amazing what a good solid d-man can do!

This. Greene was exceptional last night. Great to have him back and he will only get better as the playoffs move along.

A great 60 minute effort by the guys and if they can do that again on Sunday I cannot see the Sharks bringing this one back to LA.

Just stay out of the box as someone mentioned previously, the Sharks only have 2 goals? at even strength. That is solid defense by the Kings and outstanding goaltending by Quick. He is out of this world good.

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
Greene was a beast last night, he was just dropping Sharks left and right. We all knew we were missing his physical presence on the back end this season, but this game just put an exclamation point on it. Regher can be pretty physical and Doughty and Voynov are feisty in front of the net and in the corners, but there's nothing quite like getting thrown to the ice by Greene to let the opposing forwards know what's up.

I'm hoping this game is the beginning of the return of the team from last year's playoffs, but I'm not counting on it yet. The Sharks play way better at home, game 6 should be a real battle.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
- play physical and dominate along the boards (check)
- tighten up gap coverage between forwards and dmen in all zones (check)
- outhit them (check)
- forwards with tighter support on breakout (check)
- control speed through the neutral zone (check)
- hammer them on boards and in front of Quick to wear down resolve (check)
- top two lines take over the game (check)
- win at least 50% of faceoffs
- score first and gain momentum
- Quicker go beast mode (check)

that is what the hell everyone has been waiting for. now, rinse and repeat 9 more times please

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Mind-blowing statistic: Over the last two playoff years, the Kings are 21-0 when scoring at least two goals.

Quick is the best big-game goalie in the league. Bar none. That is a phenomenal stat

Wow...now that's a stat that says alot. Impressive and the fruitation of 20 very dedicated players.

play physical and dominate along the boards (check)
- tighten up gap coverage between forwards and dmen in all zones (check)
- outhit them (check)
- forwards with tighter support on breakout (check)
- control speed through the neutral zone (check)
- hammer them on boards and in front of Quick to wear down resolve (check)
- top two lines take over the game (check)
- win at least 50% of faceoffs
- score first and gain momentum
- Quicker go beast mode (check)

that is what the hell everyone has been waiting for. now, rinse and repeat 9 more times please

Well said and I wondered, too, last night, where this complete team/game has been.

What a HUGE difference it makes when both Kopi and Richards play that solid two way effort. Forty minutes of stellar play on both side of the puck. Pierre Le Brun is right, Kopi and Richards dominate 200 feet like no other duo.

Green was a beast, I think half of those 51 hits were his . Boom Boom...love it.
Boy was he missed...big time.

Scuds and Dougthy were great...all the D really shined and that made Quick's job easier.

Carter could have had a hattrick, had some great chances. I loved that blind backhand pass Richards zipped to him for the breakaway just after Slava's goal. And I can't believe he just missed on that wraparound. Maybe Sunday...that would be nice, a Carter feast.

I don't think they want this going to 7, I think they'll come out Sunday very much like last night.

And it sure would be sweet to wrap it up there, serving the those fans shark steak for Sunday dinner.

GKG

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
imo Quick is the best goalie in the world at this point. he keeps getting overlooked, but the part of that i like is it most likely drives him. we know how competitive he is and it wouldn't surprise me if this slight by the media pushes his compete level.

the guy is an absolute freak in net when it comes to his ability post to post. he reads and anticipates plays with the best of them. his glove hand keeps better each year and is cheating-challenging shooters more often with it, only to come up with the puck. shooters know they can't beat him low, so to improve his glove just diminishes their shooting % further.

he reminds me of two ex-greats based on a few traits. Fuhr and Hextall. i say Fuhr because of his physical nature and gifted ability to move in the crease. Fuhr in his day helped to reshape how goalies played, due to his physical style. i say Hextall because of his compete level. it's hard to say any goalie ever had a higher compete level than Hextall did.

now if Quick can just improve his puck handling and movement......

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
On the unfortunate side, it's once again three days between games...

sad_face.gif

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
What a show of our effort and talent. We wanted 60 minutes and boy did we get that. To be honest the longer it went on 0-0 the more nervous I got with the way we were controlling and dominating the play. That made Kopi's goal that much sweeter. Time to bring the same effort to game 6, and let Sutter work some coaching magic with Sharks getting the matchup advantage.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Greene was great. for him that had to have felt terrific after being sidelined all that time. to go out there and drill some people like that always feels good. here is the shot on Galiardi when he cleared the crease

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bfefmc_nPw

i was trying to find the hit he had in the 1st down the right side boards, when he pinched into the offensive zone. can't remember who he tagged, but he absolutely tattooed the SJ player

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I really don't think enough has been said about Trevor Lewis. Tenacious mother****er. He is Kings hockey.

Amen. The dude is just all heart.

I also want to give props to Richie and Fraser--they looked like their old selves last night--hounding the puck carriers, making smart safe plays, getting in to check quickly.

same here Birthday presents for all from the Kings :D

What a fantastic birthday! Just gotta make it better on Sunday :)

Meeee tooo :D Couldn't have asked for more going in!

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Quick is the best big-game goalie in the league. Bar none. That is a phenomenal stat.

Saw that pop up in the third (well it was 20-0 at that time). Unbelievable stat. Jonathan Quick baby!

Happy Birthday to everyone! :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad