WCQF/PDSF: (P1) Calgary Flames vs (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | COL Leads 3-1 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Give him time and next season I think he is going to settle in.

Yeah, that was the big change. He struggled early on (while Varly was hot), which kept him from getting an extended look, which kept him from settling in, which kept him from getting out of his funk. Since that cycle was broken he's been a rock for us.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
Yeah, that was the big change. He struggled early on (while Varly was hot), which kept him from getting an extended look, which kept him from settling in, which kept him from getting out of his funk. Since that cycle was broken he's been a rock for us.
That is why I don't like tandem Goalie systems very much. It seemed to work well for the Islanders, but places like Philly it was a disaster. In my opinion you have to have a primary Goalie. Grubauer may not be that top 5 Goalie , but he needs to be the primary Goalie for the Avs just like Mrazek needs to be the primary Goalie for the Canes.

Reactions: hooverdam

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That is why I don't like tandem Goalie systems very much. It seemed to work well for the Islanders, but places like Philly it was a disaster. In my opinion you have to have a primary Goalie. Grubauer may not be that top 5 Goalie , but he needs to be the primary Goalie for the Avs just like Mrazek needs to be the primary Goalie for the Canes.

I think it can work when both goalies have already established some trust with the coach. But with Gru having just arrived & really struggling out of the gates...while (the incumbent) Varlamov was on fire...it was just a perfect storm of things going against him early on.

Moving forward, many of us expect Varly to be let go this summer & Francouz to be brought back as the backup, with Gru the de facto #1...but some of us are really excited for Frank and so I won't be surprised if that split becomes more and more even as the season goes along leading to a 1a/1b situation once Francouz earns Bednar's trust too.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Hoping for more Backlund against the top line again tonight. He's a tire fire defensively.
He lost Rantanen on the Game 4 OT winner, and him and Gio got mixed up covering Mack on his OT goal in Game 2 .

It's easy to scapegoat individuals for specific plays, but this sport is truly "win as a team and lose as a team". The Flames, as a whole, are just being badly outplayed this series.

Reactions: Avs

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He lost Rantanen on the Game 4 OT winner, and him and Gio got mixed up covering Mack on his OT goal in Game 2 .

It's easy to scapegoat individuals for specific plays, but this sport is truly "win as a team and lose as a team". The Flames, as a whole, are just being badly outplayed this series.

Flames 1st line havent shown another gear is the difference

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Columbus vs Colorado SCF would be pretty epic tbh. Never been a #8 vs #8 before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad