WCQF/PDSF: (P1) Calgary Flames vs (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | COL Leads 3-1 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yet they needed 2 lucky late goals to bring them to OT twice. We’ll see Friday night if they want to keep playing THAT kind of game - from behind late. Odds are most games are lost that way. But hey If the Avs are that arrogant they can keep winning that way...

I think you're looking for the universe where the Flames managed to hold on & steal games 2 & 4, but alas you seem stuck in this one...where that didn't happen ;)

Last edited:

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Yet they needed 2 lucky late goals to bring them to OT twice. We’ll see Friday night if they want to keep playing THAT kind of game - from behind late. Odds are most games are lost that way. But hey If the Avs are that arrogant they can keep winning that way...
I’m sure the Avs will gladly “keep winning that way”. Ironically that’s how Calgary won a lot of games in the regular season so this is hilariously ‘pot-calling-the-kettle-black’ of you to say

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The Flames could sure learn some lessons from the Jet's and how their top players always come to show up when it matters. I'd rather have Scheifele and Wheeler than Monahan and Gaudreau.

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
The Avs are very comfortable in the situation you're outlining here. The Avs were down 2-0 in the 3rd period in the last 3-4 games regular season games, and won every single one of them.

Brad Marchant

Feb 28, 2019
A guy like Gaudreau can do well in the playoffs but he isnt getting the required support. Both physically as well as just his linemates are dogging it hard and not letting him be the playmaker he is.

That being said, just because Johnny CAN succeed in the playoffs, doesnt mean he will. I have never seen a team’s top 6 (including Johnny) just fold and so clearly not even try as bad as I have the Flames right now. Tampa Bay looked more into their seriesthan the Flames. I would bet money that the Senators wouldnt have allowed 50+ shots in two games in a row this year. I watched Flames teams from 2011-2016 that would have put more of an effort in. The entire team is not only playing like dog****, but putting in one of the most pathetic performances Ive ever seen. This is a team with the lowest shots against in the regular season, giving up 40-55 shots per game. Mike Smith is the only reason it hasnt been a sweep.

All regular season long the Flames would crush opponents. Endless O-zone cycling, odd man rushes up the butt, creative plays, D-men pinching in and winning every time, winning every battle, carrying the puck in instead of dumping the puck, and neutralizing opposing breakouts. Chucky was a MASTER at drawing penalties. They did it WELL.

Now what are we seeing? Meekness has infected the team. No cycling at all. The opposing team is getting breakout rushes at will. The Flames lose nearly every puck battle and it doesnt look like they even try. When they arent dumping and chasing/changing, the puck carrier is skating in and stopping just past the blue line EVERY SINGLE TIME. Johnny especially. Its so predictable and then he gets cornered and passes it right into their shinpads and woopdee doo, a turnover and odd man rush!! D-men are too scared to pinch. Stupid penalties are being taken.

The Flames are playing SCARED hockey. They are trying not to lose, not trying to win. They are on their heels instead of the balls of their feet. They are playing like they spent the last 3 weeks assuming they’d win this series and now they are stumbling around to get a footing. It is legitimately some of the most pathetic hockey Ive ever watched and it pains me. I hope they learn their lesson here.

I don't want to take away from the amazing job MacK and the Avs are doing, they are playing great. But the LA Kings would beat this Flames team. I think the Flames have been thoroughly humbled, and with the help of the home crowd in Calgary, win game 5 in a somewhat dominant fashion and then Avs win in game 6 because the Flames won't learn their lesson because they are mentally ****ed and they'll be cocky after winning one game and repeat their pathetic BS in Denver.

Reactions: Steerpike

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
don't want to take away from the amazing job MacK and the Avs are doing, they are playing great. But the LA Kings would beat this Flames team.
Smith is taking Colorado to overtime with 45+ save performances.

L.A. would be swept.

There aren't many teams in the league that could be better offensively than Colorado has, but Smith is just incredible right now.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
A guy like Gaudreau can do well in the playoffs but he isnt getting the required support. Both physically as well as just his linemates are dogging it hard and not letting him be the playmaker he is.

That being said, just because Johnny CAN succeed in the playoffs, doesnt mean he will. I have never seen a team’s top 6 (including Johnny) just fold and so clearly not even try as bad as I have the Flames right now. Tampa Bay looked more into their seriesthan the Flames. I would bet money that the Senators wouldnt have allowed 50+ shots in two games in a row this year. I watched Flames teams from 2011-2016 that would have put more of an effort in. The entire team is not only playing like dog****, but putting in one of the most pathetic performances Ive ever seen. This is a team with the lowest shots against in the regular season, giving up 40-55 shots per game. Mike Smith is the only reason it hasnt been a sweep.

All regular season long the Flames would crush opponents. Endless O-zone cycling, odd man rushes up the butt, creative plays, D-men pinching in and winning every time, winning every battle, carrying the puck in instead of dumping the puck, and neutralizing opposing breakouts. Chucky was a MASTER at drawing penalties. They did it WELL.

Now what are we seeing? Meekness has infected the team. No cycling at all. The opposing team is getting breakout rushes at will. The Flames lose nearly every puck battle and it doesnt look like they even try. When they arent dumping and chasing/changing, the puck carrier is skating in and stopping just past the blue line EVERY SINGLE TIME. Johnny especially. Its so predictable and then he gets cornered and passes it right into their shinpads and woopdee doo, a turnover and odd man rush!! D-men are too scared to pinch. Stupid penalties are being taken.

The Flames are playing SCARED hockey. They are trying not to lose, not trying to win. They are on their heels instead of the balls of their feet. They are playing like they spent the last 3 weeks assuming they’d win this series and now they are stumbling around to get a footing. It is legitimately some of the most pathetic hockey Ive ever watched and it pains me. I hope they learn their lesson here.

I don't want to take away from the amazing job MacK and the Avs are doing, they are playing great. But the LA Kings would beat this Flames team. I think the Flames have been thoroughly humbled, and with the help of the home crowd in Calgary, win game 5 in a somewhat dominant fashion and then Avs win in game 6 because the Flames won't learn their lesson because they are mentally ****ed and they'll be cocky after winning one game and repeat their pathetic BS in Denver.
LA Kings might beat them... if Smith was playing like an average goaltender

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Don't even really want to watch the game tonight. Sick and tired of watching these games only for the Flames to not show up.

I dedicate myself to watch 80+ games during the 6 months prior, post on these and other forums, then have to watch this dogshit pony show from the Flames through 4 games.

What a kick in the nuts.

Reactions: viper0220

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Don't even really want to watch the game tonight. Sick and tired of watching these games only for the Flames to not show up.

I dedicate myself to watch 80+ games during the 6 months prior, post on these and other forums, then have to watch this dog**** pony show from the Flames through 4 games.

What a kick in the nuts.

I'd watch this one. Flames are going to be playing angry. This is going to be ugly.

Avs - 2
Flames - 7

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
The Flames could sure learn some lessons from the Jet's and how their top players always come to show up when it matters. I'd rather have Scheifele and Wheeler than Monahan and Gaudreau.
Lol sure like how the Jets blew it last night too?

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Mack and company need to watch out for the cheap shots tonight from Tkachuk. Since the Flames will be desperate. If Avs get an early lead I see him doing something

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Somewhere there's a Flames fan being slapped in the face by this karmic post. Since if I remember correctly the Flames narrowly edged out the Avs during regular season games (for a score perspective) but they "dominated" the Avs in all of those shots, expected goals and other metrics. Now that the shoe is on the other foot we're getting this type of post.

As mentioned before this series started, the two teams are closer than they appear and it's been a good series. Avs are putting up some serious shot totals and scoring chances but still skating by on the goals column to get ahead. This is playoff hockey at its finest. The difference maker to me so far is while both goalies are dueling well, the Flames haven't had a single player step up to the level MacK has. If Johnny Hockey or Monahan or any of those other players that got praised so much this year decided 'this is my game to win for the team' and just forced a goal in games 2 or 4, it'd a tied series. Similar to how MacK has tilted it in the Avs favor for that reason.

Reactions: slobbergob

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
Mack and company need to watch out for the cheap shots tonight from Tkachuk. Since the Flames will be desperate. If Avs get an early lead I see him doing something
Nah you guys are good - high sticks against Calgary are not called so Avs can freewheel with impunity.

Reactions: avsfan09

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
Smith needs a great performance tonight on home ice to keep the Flames chances alive. That is going to be tough shutting down what looks like an Avs offense that is clicking. I will give the Flames the benefit of the doubt tonight to play one more day and win this one with an outstanding Smith performance in a 2-1 win.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Smith needs a great performance tonight on home ice to keep the Flames chances alive. That is going to be tough shutting down what looks like an Avs offense that is clicking. I will give the Flames the benefit of the doubt tonight to play one more day and win this one with an outstanding Smith performance in a 2-1 win.
He's certainly been doing his best all series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad