WCQF/PDSF: (P1) Calgary Flames vs (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | COL Leads 3-1 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I don’t think you know what the word domination means. I guess you think it means struggling to take advantage of the 50+ shots a game and falling behind. Plus how many of those 50 shots were softies? I bet a good number....

When I think of domination I think of the Columbus series. Weird that.
It doesn’t take a genius to look at the multitude of numbers and charts posted in this thread and see that you are incorrect in your assertion. Anyone with even a modicum of knowledge in statistics can see the Avs are dominating the Flames in these games. The fact that all of their shots aren’t going in is just a testament to how damn strong Smith has been in net in these past 3 games.

Like I said originally, though, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Peters is clueless puts the same failing lines out there game after game. The "top" line should hardly play they are hot garbage but that won't happen.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
NM04.18.png

Flames-defense-04.18.png
Kento, is it possible to get the first set of stats as a team, rather than just mackinnon?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Peters is clueless puts the same failing lines out there game after game. The "top" line should hardly play they are hot garbage but that won't happen.

That's what makes great coaches great, because they have the balls to take risks and make big changes regardless of who is going to be happy or not.

I bet the only reason why James Neal is still in the lineup is because he had a one on one chat with Peters before game 3 requesting for more ice time. Scratch this guy, he has been the most useless player on the Flames roster all season. I don't even think this guy is a NHL calibre player anymore. It's time for you to hang up the skates James.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
That's what makes great coaches great, because they have the balls to take risks and make big changes regardless of who is going to be happy or not.

I bet the only reason why James Neal is still in the lineup is because he had a one on one chat with Peters before game 3 requesting for more ice time. Scratch this guy, he has been the most useless player on the Flames roster all season. I don't even think this guy is a NHL calibre player anymore. It's time for you to hang up the skates James.
I honestly think there is upper management meddling even though this has been repeatedly denied. How many times over the years have we seen players take a regular shift when they had no business even being on the ice.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can see the justification for not making any changes after each individual game: they won game 1, so "don't change the lineup after a win"; game two they almost stole despite "under-rating the avs because of the 'easy' win in game 1"; game 3 was a mess and "should wake the boys up to tie the series in game 4", so no changes needed per that logic.

As a whole the strategy is suicidal, but in isolation, Peters could be seen to be making the "safe" choice each time by "trusting who got him there." It's the kind of super-cautious thinking that plagues way too many hockey-minds; which creates a sports culture in which proactive change is frowned upon & creativity/ingenuity can be downright dirty-words.

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I don’t think you know what the word domination means. I guess you think it means struggling to take advantage of the 50+ shots a game and falling behind. Plus how many of those 50 shots were softies? I bet a good number....

When I think of domination I think of the Columbus series. Weird that.

Theres no way you could be saying the bolded if you were actually watching the games.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I honestly think there is upper management meddling even though this has been repeatedly denied. How many times over the years have we seen players take a regular shift when they had no business even being on the ice.

I wouldn't be at all surprised and if this is true then the Flames ownership should be ashamed. Let the coach do his job, that is why you brought him in.

The Flames have some really good members in their management like Conroy, Gelinas, Sarich so I would think that one of them would man up and speak up.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I can see the justification for not making any changes after each individual game: they won game 1, so "don't change the lineup after a win"; game two they almost stole despite "under-rating the avs because of the 'easy' win in game 1"; game 3 was a mess and "should wake the boys up to tie the series in game 4", so no changes needed per that logic.

As a whole the strategy is suicidal, but in isolation, Peters could be seen to be making the "safe" choice each time by "trusting who got him there." It's the kind of super-cautious thinking that plagues way too many hockey-minds; which creates a sports culture in which proactive change is frowned upon & creativity/ingenuity can be downright dirty-words.

Peters is failing to realize that playoff hockey is nothing like regular season hockey, yet he is 60 minutes away from being a big factor in costing his team's season due to not making any changes. The Flames are playing like it's pre-season. You can't play run and gun puck posession hockey in the playoffs, you won't go anywhere. You need to clog up the neutral zone and slow the games down and grind out he wins. Playoff wins are ugly. yet everyone on the roster is playing for themselves just looking to pad their stats.

This team needs a prime '04 Iginla on the roster right now to show them the way. Just imagine what a player of his calibre could do to Gaudreau's, Lindholm's, Backlund and Monahan's development. Where the heck is the emotion in this roster? They have no heart in them, no guts what so ever.

I thought Gio was one of the better captains in the league? Why the heck isn't he upset in his post game interviews and laying it on his teammates? You can talk all you want about how you need to be better next game, need to do this and that but that means nothing if you don't show the actions on the ice.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
I wouldn't be at all surprised and if this is true then the Flames ownership should be ashamed. Let the coach do his job, that is why you brought him in.

The Flames have some really good members in their management like Conroy, Gelinas, Sarich so I would think that one of them would man up and speak up.
I'm guessing here want to make that clear. But I see strong evidence that management decides on how they think things should go and impose that on the coaching staff. Not overtly but it is understood. It explains why Calgary keeps getting "project" coaches not established winners, for example Treliving only wanted to hire Peters admitted he didn't look anywhere else.

Put it this way do you think John Tortorella would give Neal a regular shift? Nope he'd be in the press box.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I'm guessing here want to make that clear. But I see strong evidence that management decides on how they think things should go and impose that on the coaching staff. Not overtly but it is understood. It explains why Calgary keeps getting "project" coaches not established winners, for example Treliving only wanted to hire Peters admitted he didn't look anywhere else.

Put it this way do you think John Tortorella would give Neal a regular shift? Nope he'd be in the press box.

Project coaches and project goalies while signing an old aging vet every year. Brouwer, then Jagr and now Neal and none have worked out. It's time the Flames start paying up for better quality. You want that #1 goalie? Then you better pay up for one. Bishop could have been it, as well as MAF but too bad neither wanted to come here.

They won't get an elite #1 center through trades so they should take the UFA route, that's why they should make a serious run for Duchene this summer. He's as good as it gets for a UFA #1 center. Then offload either Monahan or Backlund for a top line winger with size and grit.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
Project coaches and project goalies while signing an old aging vet every year. Brouwer, then Jagr and now Neal and none have worked out. It's time the Flames start paying up for better quality. You want that #1 goalie? Then you better pay up for one. Bishop could have been it, as well as MAF but too bad neither wanted to come here.

They won't get an elite #1 center through trades so they should take the UFA route, that's why they should make a serious run for Duchene this summer. He's as good as it gets for a UFA #1 center. Then offload either Monahan or Backlund for a top line winger with size and grit.
If you're looking for heart and drive, Matt Duchene isnt your answer

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Well you are seeing one player play at his best, and the other at or near his worst. Mack is clearly the better player and always has been, but this is not a true reflection of the abilities of 95% of this Flames roster.
I agree, but it got me curious how Monahan is overall, so I did a lot of research on his game and yeah he left a lot to desired. Especially for the the season he had this year

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Lol yet you provide zero hard evidence.
There's been plenty posted in this thread.

Games - Natural Stat Trick

The only team in which the Flames dictated the play was the first game, which they won. Over the 4 games played in the series so far in aggregate, the Avs are almost 56% CF and almost 60% xGF share in 5 on 5 situations. Yes, that doesn't necessarily convert to scores in any individual situation - but over the long run, these numbers indicate that with the teams playing the way they are, the Avs would be expected to win a significant majority of the games.

E: In fact, you'll see that the Blue Jackets' sweep of the Lightning, while obviously impressive, was a result of converting chances at a very high rate - despite winning the series 4-0 the Blue Jackets were significant dogs in possession stats. You can see the disparity in actual GF% vs. xGF% for the Jackets - 57.14% actual vs 45.14% expected based on how the teams played.

On top of that, Calgary has an absurd .974 sv% on high danger chances so far in the series - that's not sustainable goaltending. Over the regular season this year, for example, save percentages for teams on high danger chances ranged from .788-.867.

Last edited:

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
anyone claiming the Avs haven't outright outplayed the Flames are blind. if not for mike smith it would look so much worse probably 6-8G to 2-3G easily every game.

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
anyone claiming the Avs haven't outright outplayed the Flames are blind. if not for mike smith it would look so much worse probably 6-8G to 2-3G easily every game.
Yet they needed 2 lucky late goals to bring them to OT twice. We’ll see Friday night if they want to keep playing THAT kind of game - from behind late. Odds are most games are lost that way. But hey If the Avs are that arrogant they can keep winning that way...

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Yet they needed 2 lucky late goals to bring them to OT twice. We’ll see Friday night if they want to keep playing THAT kind of game - from behind late. Odds are most games are lost that way.

My guy, if you're talking odds you gotta talk about the odds of winning when you face 50 shots a game

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Yet they needed 2 lucky late goals to bring them to OT twice. We’ll see Friday night if they want to keep playing THAT kind of game - from behind late. Odds are most games are lost that way. But hey If the Avs are that arrogant they can keep winning that way...
Hmm? what I already said if not for Mike Smith which u as a flames fan should see more than anyone you guys would be destroyed worse than now. you can thank him that you guys even get to have a lead at all in a game. You guys cracking up a abit? delusional sounding, Ima coin it the "Cassie Cambell syndrome"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->