WCQF/PDSF: (P1) Calgary Flames vs (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | COL Leads 3-1 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Well, we successfully punched them in the face in game 2. Now let's see if we can land that follow up hay-makar to put them on the ropes...

I'm excited to see how Bednar manages this game. There's really only one aspect of his coaching I'm confident in and it's his line matching when he's in control. He does a great job at getting the matchups that favor the Avs, whether the players win the battles or not is irrelevant.

Also fingers crossed I can stay awake for this one, brutal game start times.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’ve said this a few times already but I can see the matchups Bednar picks actually being a good thing for Calgary.

Peters has refused to put Gaudreau on the ice against Mackinnon. Mackinnon has been on the ice for over 40% of this series. This has left Gaudreau on the bench. Gaudreau is a world class player and I bet he proves it with some added ice time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm excited to see how Bednar manages this game. There's really only one aspect of his coaching I'm confident in and it's his line matching when he's in control. He does a great job at getting the matchups that favor the Avs, whether the players win the battles or not is irrelevant.

Also fingers crossed I can stay awake for this one, brutal game start times.

True. But I can't help but wonder if that won't end up a bit of a double-edged sword. When they were matching that Backlund line with MacK's, that kept Gaudreau's line off the ice & wore out the Backlund line (at least in game 2). If they roll their lines more evenly that'll give us more favorable opportunities to take advantage of...but it could also get their big guns going & keep that Backlund line fresher. So it'll be even more important that we do capitalize when we get those favorable matchups that we want.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Smith .954 vs Grubauer .926.
Who will blink first? Great goaltending on both sides.
I'm sure both teams wishes the other team had someone like Jones in net. I know I do. LOL.
This is turning out to be a tough series. I originally predicted Flames in 6 but I can now see it going to 7.
Calgary needs to find an answer to Mac. His play is key to the success of the Avs. Gotta slow him down some how. The guy is on a mission. He's got that Rocket Richard look in his eyes.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’ve said this a few times already but I can see the matchups Bednar picks actually being a good thing for Calgary.

Peters has refused to put Gaudreau on the ice against Mackinnon. Mackinnon has been on the ice for over 40% of this series. This has left Gaudreau on the bench. Gaudreau is a world class player and I bet he proves it with some added ice time.

Yeah, you've really started to worry me with how logical that is...plus not playing so many more minutes than he's used to, should keep Backlund fresher than he was by the end of game 2, which is also more than a little unsettling.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Looking forward to some good discussion today while the children are in school.
2 years old have cell phones now, so I don’t think stupid things like school actually get in the way of posting on here. Blame the millennials!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Clearly sarcasm isn’t very strong with you...but still stronger than your top line’s play these last two games!
You are of course correct in that Calgary's top line hasn't played as well as they can but that's probably because of the limited ice time they've been getting. In the last game Gaudreau and Monahan got 16 and 15 minutes TOI respectively in regulation time. They played better in OT where they got approximately 2-1/2 minutes of ice time in the 8-1/2 minutes of OT.
Don't get too cocky. You won one game... not the series. Peters will make adjustments. He's a very good coach.

Edit: Just curious... you mentioned millenials like you're not one of them. How old are you?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

I was just thinking this. And to add to it, our Backlund line is usually very potent offensively for us as well, having them pinned to MacK is dragging down their game. MacK is a beast, he’s going to get his chances, the Flames will need to trust in our D and Smith, and let the forwards start to implement their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad