WBS Penguins thread | Sundqvist Dominating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We have another wave of young talent ready to move to the bigs and they may represent a shot in the arm if we get into a lull.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
How huge would it be if Sunny can develop into a 10-15 goal a season guy who is a beast at checking and possession? Basically a Jordan Staal lite. We haven't had that huge dominant center since JS left the team. It would help too if Sunny is good on draws though I have no idea whether or not that is the case.

As for Jake, his scoring at every level he's played at indicates a very good chance he's going to be a productive NHLer.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
How huge would it be if Sunny can develop into a 10-15 goal a season guy who is a beast at checking and possession? Basically a Jordan Staal lite. We haven't had that huge dominant center since JS left the team. It would help too if Sunny is good on draws though I have no idea whether or not that is the case.

As for Jake, his scoring at every level he's played at indicates a very good chance he's going to be a productive NHLer.

If Sundqvist has began to mature offensively, I don't think it's out of the question at all for him to develop into a guy who was able to score as much as Jordan.

The big difference between Staal and Sundqvist is Staal wasn't intimidating. Sundqvist is a mean dude.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If Sundqvist has began to mature offensively, I don't think it's out of the question at all for him to develop into a guy who was able to score as much as Jordan.

The big difference between Staal and Sundqvist is Staal wasn't intimidating. Sundqvist is a mean dude.

That would be great. I have to admit I never saw this type of AHL domination coming from Sundqvist. I anticipated he'd be a good fourth line center, but the type of offense he's showing so far this season could mean his ceiling is even higher than that. Great stuff.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That would be great. I have to admit I never saw this type of AHL domination coming from Sundqvist. I anticipated he'd be a good fourth line center, but the type of offense he's showing so far this season could mean his ceiling is even higher than that. Great stuff.

He's an animal on the boards as well, but most people haven't seen him play, so it's rarely mentioned.

My cousin (Black Label) and I were probably Sundqvists biggest fans on here, and we both talked about his offensive skills and surly demeanor on the ice ad nauseum. I think we both pretty much agreed he could be a Staal-lite type player, so what he is doing now in the A isn't surprising to me.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I think that it is obvious at this point. Sundqvist and Guentzel are ready now, or very close to it. It´s just a matter of time. This team is gonna be SO LIKEABLE with another 2 young homegrown talents inserted in. Hopefully instead of Kunitz and Fehr... and yeah Cullen too /no offense in his case/. Great times coming. Young, fast, talented and hungry Penguins.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If they can't agree on an extension with Bonino, we might be able to talk Cullen into coming back for one more year. And have Sunny as our 3rd C. Or they just go FA route. Guentzel has what it takes to be a center but much rather him stay at LW

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Great to see.

This is the value in letting a guy like Sunny marinate a bit in the AHL. His size, demeanor, defensive acumen, boardwork and intelligence were never in question. But his offensive instincts and toolbox were still very raw... though there were glimpses of promise. Allowing him to play big minutes and get prime offensive opportunities in the AHL gives him the luxury of putting his offensive game together. And we're starting to see dividends, already.

Speaking of Staal... I always kinda figured that was some of his problem. He was able to make offense happen in the NHL, sure. But he was still very raw himself in that area when he was drafted. And never got a chance to try things out at a lower level in order to help develop his offensive game. He was thrust right into a mostly-defensive NHL role right from the start.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Great to see.

This is the value in letting a guy like Sunny marinate a bit in the AHL. His size, demeanor, defensive acumen, boardwork and intelligence were never in question. But his offensive instincts and toolbox were still very raw... though there were glimpses of promise. Allowing him to play big minutes and get prime offensive opportunities in the AHL gives him the luxury of putting his offensive game together. And we're starting to see dividends, already.

Speaking of Staal... I always kinda figured that was some of his problem. He was able to make offense happen in the NHL, sure. But he was still very raw himself in that area when he was drafted. And never got a chance to try things out at a lower level in order to help develop his offensive game. He was thrust right into a mostly-defensive NHL role right from the start.

Ya, I wanted Sundqvist to play in the NHL right away, but his time in the A has really helped his offensive game, and it meant Cullen had that spot so...

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Make that 16 goals. Guentzel pots his second of the 1st period.
As a bonus, the goals are coming in a lot of different ways. This one was just planting himself at the side of the crease and getting a couple whacks at a loose puck.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I honestly have no idea why he's not up with the Penguins right now. It just doesn't make sense to me, how can a coach who preaches accountability and has a soft spot towards young players fail to find a spot for Guentzel? The dude has 9 goals and 14 points in 8 games after being sent down, is leading the AHL in goals and 2nd in points as a rookie and was highly effective in the NHL when he was here.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I honestly have no idea why he's not up with the Penguins right now. It just doesn't make sense to me, how can a coach who preaches accountability and has a soft spot towards young players fail to find a spot for Guentzel? The dude has 9 goals and 14 points in 8 games after being sent down, is leading the AHL in goals and 2nd in points as a rookie and was highly effective in the NHL when he was here.

Kunitz.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
He just did get a hat trick, his first in the AHL, on a 5 on 3 PP to start the 2nd period.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sheary - Crosby - Rust
Guentzel - Malkin - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad