WBS Penguins thread | Sundqvist Dominating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It'd have to be a pretty incredible deal to make me bite.

We have a deep, quality roster that we should be trying to improve from within before we start packaging top 10 picks to improve it via trade, and Pouliot not only represents great insurance policy if we sustain an injury this year, but moving forward if/when we lose one of Schultz/Daley this summer.

I don't know why you think the staff isn't a fan of his. Our blueline's pretty deep from 1-6, and when injuries hit he was the first guy they called up.

He's a top 10 pick who hasn't acquitted himself whatsoever at the NHL level, and he is now in the AHL and playing like garbage on a team that is doing pretty well.

He's a pouter. He pouted here because he wasn't playing, and he's pouting down there because he's not here. I'm not a fan of Pouliot. I never will be. I think his attitude flat out stinks.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He's a top 10 pick who hasn't acquitted himself whatsoever at the NHL level, and he is now in the AHL and playing like garbage on a team that is doing pretty well.

He's a pouter. He pouted here because he wasn't playing, and he's pouting down there because he's not here. I'm not a fan of Pouliot. I never will be. I think his attitude flat out stinks.

He did? I don't remember that.

I think it's natural to be frustrated with the situation as outlined earlier (questionable demotion last year, injury in only call-up game this year), and it's something he has to work out of. Not uncommon for prospects to get in a bit of a funk after a run of bad luck.

What I don't understand is the rationale for dealing him. Do you want to trade him...just because? If you're trying to improve the team you're presumably talking about adding a winger, and it would be pretty poor asset management to use a high-upside defenseman as mere sweetener for forward help before we've given Guentzel a chance.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don't see what benefit there could be to selling low on a talented young PMD when we're coming up on an expansion draft and 2 of our 3 best PMDs becoming FAs.

Neither do I. More relevant to just keep him and have him as someone Vegas might pick/replacement for someone they do pick.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pouliot will get it together. I imagine it's disheartening to have played well enough to be in the NHL down the stretch last year, have the Schultz acquisition push him down to an AHL regular, then get injured in his one NHL opportunity this year.

You either rise to the occasion or you don't. Him sucking in the AHL right now is showing his lack of maturity for a kid that isn't a kid anymore at 23 next month. If he took that demotion hard, cool, show it by playing so damn well that they have no choice but to call you up, Guentzel did that and got his shot, now he's back to work on more of his game to make sure that next call-up is permanent.

He's played 7 games and is a -4. I mean, wow. If Canucks fans were concerned with Virtanen, we have some major cause for concern here.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Neither do I. More relevant to just keep him and have him as someone Vegas might pick/replacement for someone they do pick.

Yeah, I agree. Pouliot is a decent depth offensive D-Man fallback option if someone like Schultz gets drafted by Vegas. Although I have my doubts they'll ever give Pouliot much of a chance here. The Rutherford/Sullivan regime just doesn't seem to like him very much.

Pouliot's situation kind of reminds me of Thomas Hickey. Both players were drafted in the top 10 of their drafts with quite a few people believing both were slight reaches where they were drafted. Hickey ultimately never got much of a chance with the team that drafted him but has carved out a career as a depth D-Man with the Isles. Wouldn't surprise me if Pouliot eventually makes it with another team too.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You either rise to the occasion or you don't. Him sucking in the AHL right now is showing his lack of maturity for a kid that isn't a kid anymore at 23 next month. If he took that demotion hard, cool, show it by playing so damn well that they have no choice but to call you up, Guentzel did that and got his shot, now he's back to work on more of his game to make sure that next call-up is permanent.

He's played 7 games and is a -4. I mean, wow. If Canucks fans were concerned with Virtanen, we have some major cause for concern here.

No **** that's the ideal. But these are people and sometimes they need to work themselves out of funks. Christ, it happened to the best player in the world last year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I still think it's too early to say Pouliot won't be a top 4 dman. He's certainly disappointed, but he hasn't really been given a consistent chance to prove he belongs. A lot of that is on him, but some of it is on circumstances outside his control.

His trade value is likely too low to be worthwhile to move him and he's nice insurance for when Schultz gets plucked in expansion. In my view, LV takes Schultz if he continues on this pace (currently he's on pace to put up 47 points).

Now, maybe Schultz says he's uninterested in signing with LV long term and only wants to be a Penguin. I don't know how that would play out, but even as a 1 year rental, Schultz is probably worth more than a Kuhnhackl.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
He's also just come back from injury, and played a whole half of a game all season prior to the injury. It may be as much a matter of shaking rust off as anything else.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
One of them will get injured soon enough.

welp

I don't think that's the case. His offensive game was very strong in his first few games, and he has had some decent stretches. I think with all of the WBS back and fourth, press box time, and injuries it has been hard for him to get consistency.

He's also just come back from injury, and played a whole half of a game all season prior to the injury. It may be as much a matter of shaking rust off as anything else.

Agree.

All in all, I think some cause for concern is merited, but I'm not ready to label him a bust already either.

Maybe he'll get a shot with Letang hurt.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Bengtsson scored his 1st as a Pen tonight. Added an assist in a 4-1 win over Rochester.
Jake 1G1A.

Some highlights:
http://videos.sendtonews.com/highlights-2015.html#!highlight/story/sARG6q5Z2z

ETA:
Bengts's was a beauty!

787bd76141cf2b4024161a523ef1a0d7.gif

Last edited:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

Your still *****ing and whining because they didn't take Forsberg.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No **** that's the ideal. But these are people and sometimes they need to work themselves out of funks. Christ, it happened to the best player in the world last year.

Best player in the world has proven more than enough that it wouldn't last for the whole year. Pouliot is a kid that needs to show he can belong and in the process make someone expendable because of it. He hasn't yet but tonight he played well and I'm happy for that and hope it continues.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
For those who watch WBS regularly:

How much of Jarry's success is due to him and how much is due to the Baby Pens playing well defensively? Seems like a relevant question to ask with DeSmith posting even better numbers.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For those who watch WBS regularly:

How much of Jarry's success is due to him and how much is due to the Baby Pens playing well defensively? Seems like a relevant question to ask with DeSmith posting even better numbers.

WB is a mirror of Pitt.
They'll give up high quality chances against even if they don't give up alot of shots.
Both G's have done consistently well in that reguard.

DeSmith sort of looks like he's playing every game like his AHL career depends on it.
Jarry's more methodical and calm in net.

One thing people seem to forget is just how young Jarry still is.
He's 21. DeSmith is 25.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
WB is a mirror of Pitt.
They'll give up high quality chances against even if they don't give up alot of shots.
Both G's have done consistently well in that reguard.

DeSmith sort of looks like he's playing every game like his AHL career depends on it.
Jarry's more methodical and calm in net.

One thing people seem to forget is just how young Jarry still is.
He's 21. DeSmith is 25.

I thought DeSmith was older than that.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Small update tonight.
Bleuger is bumped up to 2nd line C tonight to play with Jake and Kristo(good for him. games i've watched he's stood out at times).
Dea demoted to 4C.

1-1 after what looks like a Wars PP goal in the 2nd.
WB wearing some funky Ugly Xmas Sweater Jersey tonight.
Teddy Bear Toss clean up under way atm.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
3-1 at the end of 2. Sundqvist has a goal and an assist tonight, bringing him to 25 points in 25 games (tied with Guentzel for the team lead in 3 more games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad