WBS Penguins thread | Sundqvist Dominating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I was hoping for Sundqvist to improve on his meager numbers from the previous season but I didn't expect him to break out like this. 25 points in 25 games playing mostly on the 3rd line between two no-names (Archibald and Garrett Wilson who have 29 points combined) is awesome. It's not like he is being carried by some veteran AHL scorers or great 1st round prospects playing on his line. Sundqvist plays both special teams so he must see lots of ice time. Yet 10 of his 12 goals and 20 of his 25 points have come at even strength. Guentzel's 26 points break down almost exactly the same way - 10 ES goals, 20 ES points. It bodes well for the future that their numbers don't come from better linemates, a hot PP or some other fortunate circumstance.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I was hoping for Sundqvist to improve on his meager numbers from the previous season but I didn't expect him to break out like this. 25 points in 25 games playing mostly on the 3rd line between two no-names (Archibald and Garrett Wilson who have 29 points combined) is awesome. It's not like he is being carried by some veteran AHL scorers or great 1st round prospects playing on his line. Sundqvist plays both special teams so he must see lots of ice time. Yet 10 of his 12 goals and 20 of his 25 points have come at even strength. Guentzel's 26 points break down almost exactly the same way - 10 ES goals, 20 ES points. It bodes well for the future that their numbers don't come from better linemates, a hot PP or some other fortunate circumstance.

He had almost zero chance last year. I saw only a handful of WBS games, but OS was getting every tough D zone start ES, was one of the top PK guys, and wasn't on either power play unit. It was crazy, and I thought they were going to completely ruin his development with it. Another reason Cullen coming back this year was so great for us.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Sheary, Rust, Kuhn, and Wilson have already impressed but this next wave of young guys are on a whole different level. Guentzel, Sprong, Sunny, and Simon.

We don't even need to mess with free agency, can just stick with our own finally.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Hopefully OS becomes a 15-20 goal scorer on the 4th line like Cullen.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It's awesome to see Sundqvist improving greatly on his offensive numbers. My concern with him was he'd top out as a defensively responsible 4th liner, but didn't have the offensive ability to play in the top 9. Hopefully his season in WBS is proof he's got some offensive upside to be more than a 4C at the NHL level.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Hopefully OS becomes a 15-20 goal scorer on the 4th line like Cullen.

Playing with some of our other young guys on a more skilled 4th line, that's not entirely impossible if he gets some PP time.

Agreed. Those kind of front-net guys are really rare. Maybe he can be the heir to Hornqvist's role, or at least be the 1B to Hornqvist's 1A.

Yeah, considering he should be up next year, I'm hoping to see him on the 2nd PP. Hopefully this also means Kunitz officially has no purpose even as a 2nd net front guy. OS appears to be better at it right now anyways.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, considering he should be up next year, I'm hoping to see him on the 2nd PP. Hopefully this also means Kunitz officially has no purpose even as a 2nd net front guy. OS appears to be better at it right now anyways.

Maybe OS will even stand in front of the goalie instead of beside him impotently waving for tips.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe OS will even stand in front of the goalie instead of beside him impotently waving for tips.

Are you suggesting Kunitz's future career is one of those guys who hangs around nightclub toilets with a tray full of body spray and stuff?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Guentzel had another 3 point effort tonight (2+1). How much longer can they keep that kid down there?

He's currently sitting at 4th in the AHL in points with 29 in 23 games (fun fact, former Penguins draft pick Ken Agostino is leading the AHL with 34 in 30). He also leads all rookies in points.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Still? I never clamored for Forsberg. Forsberg isn't even the guy I would have taken in that spot.

I recall you lobbying for Trouba like me...

Guentzel had another 3 point effort tonight (2+1). How much longer can they keep that kid down there?

He's currently sitting at 4th in the AHL in points with 29 in 23 games (fun fact, former Penguins draft pick Ken Agostino is leading the AHL with 34 in 30). He also leads all rookies in points.

First goal was nice, breakaway, went backhand...

His second goal was a beautiful snipe from the top of the right circle...

Sundqvist sniped his goal from the other circle...

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016

He also tied for leading the league in goals with the fewest games played.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005

I have faith that this management/coaching group will figure it out sometime before the playoffs.....

Then again I, earlier this season, predicted that Guentzel would be called up and never sent down to the AHL again. I guess 4 points in 5 games just wasn't good enough. :huh: :dunno:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Jake's pretty much mirroring what Sid's doing in the NHL right now.
7GP since going back down.
7G-5A

Other notes from this one. Bleuger started as a top 6 C again, skating between Jake and Kristo. Picked up an assist tonight. They've basically swapped Dea out for Bleuger. I consider Sunny's and Jake's line the top 2.

Simon-Porter-TK
Wilson-Sunny-Archy
Guentzel-Blueger-Kristo
Sestito-Dea-Haggerty
Erixon-Percy
Warsofsky-Bengtsson
Gaunce-Prow
DeSmith

Thats a good sign for him and his development.

Rowney is still week to week with an injury.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Good to see Jake tearing the AHL apart since being sent back down. Call him up soon!!! Sundqvist can be with the Pens next season to replace Cullen unless Cullen gives us 1 more year. After the next wave we don't really have a 3rd wave. Jake for Wilson? since we know Kunitz is staying no matter what.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
That´s crazy. Really hard to imagine Guentzel not playing in the playoffs with the big club. He is just scoring everywhere. He will get another look at some point and hopefully/probably never look back. The Pens scary offense can get even scarier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad