WBS Penguins thread | Sundqvist Dominating

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
This is the perfect case of a kid doing everything that's asked of him while being pegged lower on the totem pole than people he's currently better than. Guentzel doesn't care where he's at. He's just going to play like a bad ass and continue put up points. **** everybody else.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
This is the perfect case of a kid doing everything that's asked of him while being pegged lower on the totem pole than people he's currently better than. Guentzel doesn't care where he's at. He's just going to play like a bad ass and continue put up points. **** everybody else.

Yeah, in all of this it's got to be said that Pretzel had a great response. He got sent down and seemingly kicked it up a gear. Going back to the AHL will probably serve him well in the long term, I just wish it didn't mean watching Kunitz glide around with impunity.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I think ogre said it best in the GDT. Guentzel sticking around in the AHL won't hurt Guentzel, but Guentzel sticking around in the AHL hurts the Penguins. The Penguins are a worse team with Guentzel in the AHL.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I think ogre said it best in the GDT. Guentzel sticking around in the AHL won't hurt Guentzel, but Guentzel sticking around in the AHL hurts the Penguins. The Penguins are a worse team with Guentzel in the AHL.
hey, I was just following up your post making largely the same point.
o04QHH4.gif

In theory, I have no issue with Guentzel dominating the AHL for a year. We left Dumoulin down until he did it. We seem to be doing the same with Sundqvist. And I think most of us would agree that we should have done it with Pouliot. The obvious difference being that we didn't/don't have a glaring weakness in the position those guys play.

Though Guentzel may be dominating at a different level than those guys too.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

hey, I was just following up your post making largely the same point.
o04QHH4.gif

In theory, I have no issue with Guentzel dominating the AHL for a year. We left Dumoulin down until he did it. We seem to be doing the same with Sundqvist. And I think most of us would agree that we should have done it with Pouliot. The obvious difference being that we didn't/don't have a glaring weakness in the position those guys play.

Though Guentzel may be dominating at a different level than those guys too.

Yeah I'm with you both. It isn't hurting Guentzel at all to be down there.

o04QHH4.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I'm with you both. It isn't hurting Guentzel at all to be down there.

o04QHH4.gif

It's sure as **** hurting the big club though. :laugh:

I'd take Guentzel/Sundqvist over Kunitz/Fehr every day of the week and thrice (forget twice, not often enough) on Sunday.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Guentz is three points off the lead with seven games less played. Leads the AHL in goals with 17 (three more than second) and plus/minus +19 (top four, and five out of the top six, are WBS players).

Monstrous.

I have to believe that him being there by now is just a numbers thing. We are waiting for JR, who are waiting for someone to be appropriately lunatic (a Kunitz and/or Fleury deal... Fehr in a pinch).

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Thinking back how pissed I was when the Pens traded Morrow and got that extra third rounder, never dreamed it would turn into a guy like Guenztel.

Taking out Hall since it's too early, Pens have killed it with their last four third rounders...

Rust, Murray, Sundqvist, Guenztel.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Thinking back how pissed I was when the Pens traded Morrow and got that extra third rounder, never dreamed it would turn into a guy like Guenztel.

Taking out Hall since it's too early, Pens have killed it with their last four third rounders...

You know what that means? let's trade our 1st for 3 3rd round picks.:sarcasm:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The Penguins have been generally solid with their 3rd round picks for a while now. Their 3rd rounders have probably been better than their 2nd rounders at this point. In the 3rd round since 2004, the Penguins have taken Guentzel, Sundqvist, Murray, Rust, Bortuzzo, Strait, Letang and Johnson as guys who have played in the NHL for a significant portion of time/project as guys who will play in the NHL for a significant portion of time. In the 2nd round? Well, you can go from 2004 to 2015 and not find a single 2nd round pick by the Penguins who is a regular NHLer right now. Sprong, Jarry and Goligoski were their only good 2nd rounders over those 11 drafts.

All sarcasm aside, I'd probably rather trade our 2nd round picks for 2 3rd rounders based on how the Penguins have drafted in the 2nd round over the years. Especially if we are going to be picking guys like Blugers and Bjorkqvist with our 2nd round picks. I mean, come on. Bjorkqvist was literally unranked in the final rankings, do you really need to use a 2nd rounder on him?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Pens had four 2016 third rounders I think...

Took Hall..

Used one in part of the package of the Kessel deal...

Used one in part of the package in the Bonino deal...

Used one to acquire Schultz...

Pretty insane how well spent their third rounders have been the last several years.

The Penguins have been generally solid with their 3rd round picks for a while now. Their 3rd rounders have probably been better than their 2nd rounders at this point. In the 3rd round since 2004, the Penguins have taken Guentzel, Sundqvist, Murray, Rust, Bortuzzo, Strait, Letang and Johnson as guys who have played in the NHL for a significant portion of time/project as guys who will play in the NHL for a significant portion of time. In the 2nd round? Well, you can go from 2004 to 2015 and not find a single 2nd round pick by the Penguins who is a regular NHLer right now. Sprong, Jarry and Goligoski were their only good 2nd rounders over those 11 drafts.

Pens second rounders have been cursed for years. It's almost comical how badly...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Alright, we trade our 1st and 2nd for 5 3rd round pick and pick all studs! our next wave will be in a few years. We pick 1C, 2W, 2D.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007

damn that's pretty much all our best prospects lol

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
In the 2nd round? Well, you can go from 2004 to 2015 and not find a single 2nd round pick by the Penguins who is a regular NHLer right now. Sprong, Jarry and Goligoski were their only good 2nd rounders over those 11 drafts.

Jarry and Sprong are too early to tell so it's really just Goligoski for now. You can go back another 10 years from him and will find only busts. Our only 2nd round hit from the entire 1990s was Richard Park in 1994 - and he would have been a career minor leaguer if not for the 2001 expansion. Really the best thing we did with one of those 2nd rounders was trade one (1990) for Joe Mullen. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad