Injury Report: Wayne Simmonds out up to 6 weeks (Upd. Broken Wrist)

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Here's to hoping he can get in a groove again when he gets back. It'll suck if hes snakebit like Mikheyev.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Yup.

Leafs fans suddenly thinking that Sam freaking Bennett is gonna scare opponents is one of the funnier bizarre developments this season.

It's not about scaring people. It's about adding elements to this lineup that are lacking. Dubas identified skilled toughness as a major weakness in this lineup. Simmonds was brought in as a guy to help fix that. A guy that can play on any of your 2nd, 3rd or 4th line and be impactful, and who can still be effective on the powerplay, as witnessed this year... Is Bennet all of Wayne Simmonds? No he's not. But at 24 years hold, on a nice contract, he brings some of that skilled jam that Dubas was / is looking for and he's an RFA next year, not a UFA. I'd be curious to see if he has more in him than he's showed to this point. Could he be a 20 / 20 plus guy with some physical dimensions playing beside Tavares and Nylander?

Reactions: ToneDog

mcleafs

Jan 2, 2020
I’m going to look on the bright side here, this will suppress his stats, save his energy for the playoffs, and ultimately make it easier to resign him for a couple more seasons.

Reactions: Stigma

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
Well this took all the wind out of my sail. Finally we get ourselves a player who checks all the boxes we've been missing for a long time:

1. a true grit player, making teams think twice before taking runs at our players;
2. REAL grinder;
3. no-pushover in front of the net;
4. can still score the odd goal;
5. motivator & popular in the dressing room. & the fans;
6. at decent price; and
now we lose him for a long while in this short season. Even when he comes back, he won't be the same while nursing his injured hand.

This, imo, is the biggest loss for us so far this season, and almost impossible to replace at this stage.
Lets hope we don't lose Bogo at least, or we're back to being the pushover team of old.
CRAP, JUST CRAP :mad:

Reactions: CincoHolio

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's not about scaring people. It's about adding elements to this lineup that are lacking. Dubas identified skilled toughness as a major weakness in this lineup. Simmonds was brought in as a guy to help fix that. A guy that can play on any of your 2nd, 3rd or 4th line and be impactful, and who can still be effective on the powerplay, as witnessed this year... Is Bennet all of Wayne Simmonds? No he's not. But at 24 years hold, on a nice contract, he brings some of that skilled jam that Dubas was / is looking for and he's an RFA next year, not a UFA. I'd be curious to see if he has more in him than he's showed to this point. Could he be a 20 / 20 plus guy with some physical dimensions playing beside Tavares and Nylander?

Simmonds is an elite fighter and multiple 30gl scorer, who we got for cheap hoping for a healthy bounce back.

Bennett is an overpaid career nothing.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He is not in any sense of the word on a nice contract. Especially for this team.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Simmonds is an elite fighter and multiple 30gl scorer, who we got for cheap hoping for a healthy bounce back.

Bennett is an overpaid career nothing.

A career nothing is your opinion only. Strange you being a numbers guy.

Sam Bennett 30 Playoff games 11 goals 8 assists 19 points 38 PIM. In comparision, Sweet Sexy Willie has 5 goals, 10 assists and 4 PIM in 25 playoff games. We need players that show up when it counts and he has a reputation of doing just that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I didn’t think Simmonds would do much but he’s been rejuvenated with a well defined role. 6 weeks is bad but I think the Leafs will get into the playoffs regardless and that’s when they need him.

Also, what did he hurt? Hand? I heard them say he was done for the night but never saw why.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'd swap Bennett for Kerfoot and never look back. Kerfoot is actually taking more penalty minutes, gets paid considerably more, adds nothing of significance to the first powerplay unit, and doesn't drive offense on the third line like Kadri was capable of doing. I'd much rather play a guy like Spezza or Engvall in the middle there and slot Bennett into the lineup to play a heavy game. I also think he has more in him than he's showed. I think he can be a 20/20 player with jam, who makes us tougher to play against. Especially if given a chance to play on PP1 with Auston and Mitch.
I’d do Kerfoot for Bennett instantly. Is that even realistic?

Although I’m not a fan of Kerfoot at all so I’d move him for just about anything.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Actually kind of a myth. Our bottom 6 production last year was quite good.

Toronto's bottom six has been pretty good for awhile. Even if they're not scoring much, they've kept the opposition to even less goals. = Winning.
It's been the top six that despite their offense, haven't been doing it in their own end. Having Tavares scoring at a point per game AND outscoring has
helped out tremendously this year.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Snakebit or he is what he is, a decent #3/4 LWer? The clock is ticking to get the monkey off his back.

I don't think he will often have the multi-game goal scoring streak like he did pre-injury, but I think he's better than 0 goals in 12 games.

Just like I don't expect to see Simmonds score as he has in the past 5 games over an entire season, but it would suck to see him go 0 for 12 when he returns.

Reactions: ToneDog

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Sam Bennett 30 Playoff games 11 goals 8 assists 19 points 38 PIM. In comparision, Sweet Sexy Willie has 5 goals, 10 assists and 4 PIM in 25 playoff games. We need players that show up when it counts and he has a reputation of doing just that.
Maybe my math is off but isn't Bennett scoring at a .5 goal rate in the playoffs and say sexy is at .6 so that seems a bad comparable unless what's needed in more short handed time and in that case Bennett has sweet sexy beat

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
At least it's his left hand so he can still throw those right haymakers at people when he comes back

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Yes Nylander has 4 less points in 5 less games and hasn't cost the team as many power plays.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Maybe my math is off but isn't Bennett scoring at a .5 goal rate in the playoffs and say sexy is at .6 so that seems a bad comparable unless what's needed in more short handed time and in that case Bennett has sweet sexy beat

I think your math is off Bennett 19pts/30 games = 0.63PPG/0.36 GPG. Willie 15/20 = 0.6 PPG/0.2 GPG (not even factoring TOI). Bennett better numbers in a larger sample size as well. Anyway I am not comparing the two as Willie is clearly the better player. My point is that Bennett has not had a nothing career as Zeke claims.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad