Injury Report: Wayne Simmonds out up to 6 weeks (Upd. Broken Wrist)

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Calm down guys.

Injuries to what were projected this year as maybe three 3rd/4th/extra line wingers, a bottom pair dman, and a backup goalie is a pretty light load injury wise.

He was working out well to be a top 6 forward playing with Tavares and Nylander...small sample size, but it allowed Hyman to play with Matthews and Marner...Simmonds is like Hyman with better hands and more grit, but older.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
We knew there would be injuries with such a tight schedule. This is why depth is so important. Hopefully he will be out four weeks instead of six.

His net presence is vital so someone else has to play that role. You would think some of the younger on- the-bubble-players would take up the challenge. This is the year of opportunity.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Mikheyev
Vesey-Kerfoot-Engvall
Petan-Boyd-Spezza

Would be my line-up.

Although if we could bench Vesey for a game...

Anderson-Kerfoot-Engvall has my intrigue, or even Agostino...

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Looks like it, they were showing on the replay of the trainer spraying the numbing mist on that area of his palm...a deep bruise shown through on TV, but it's clearly worse than it first appeared.

This sucks, need someone else to step up...will definitely miss his grit for the next 1.5 months.

The good thing is that it's probably just a fracture and not an outright break which should help the recovery process.

When I did it I kept playing thinking it was a bruise, and later on in the game I leaned in for a wrist shot and cleaning broke the bone (which was painful as hell). I was out for two months and that was without and sort of professional rehab :laugh:

So hopefully he's back in 6 weeks which leaves more than enough time to get back into things for the playoffs.

Reactions: Superstar

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
For frakk sake.
This is a gut punch for the team and for Wayne. Hope he can get back sooner than expected because we need his net front presence, energy and sandpaper.

Reactions: Cobra777

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Aside from the big 4 the last forward I would have wanted to miss significant time. He has been great this season.

Reactions: glue

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Calm down guys.

Injuries to three 3rd/4th/extra line wingers, a bottom pair dman, and a backup goalie is a pretty light load injury wise.

This team was victimized by an invisible bottom six last year. Either the big 4 scored or we lost the game. You can live the winter in a lean-to no doubt but I do enjoy a house with a bit of insulation.

With Dell sniped and Campbell injured, we find Hutchinson once again backing up a struggling Frederik Andersen, and that formula already has an answer.

Nothing about this is a disaster, but the runway is getting uncomfortably short.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Man the team was playing with so much confidence especially going into Calgary and Montreal. We needed his presence.

6 weeks is not bad though. Just rotate some players around

Mar 26, 2010
That sucks! He is playing awesome.

The Leafs have really been hit with the injury bug this season.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
This is such a weak division . Extra rest for simmonds now and ready for playoffs might not be a bad thing

Ironically, yes.

He was playing in his old form, as he did in Philly, minus the checking numbers. Let's hope he returns with a short memory and reverts back just as quickly. This team will need to be firing on all cylinders to have a deep run.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
He’s been amazing, silver lining is he’ll be fresh for the playoffs. I really hope we can bring him back next year for the same or less of his price even though he’s worth probably double what he’s getting paid lol.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This team was victimized by an invisible bottom six last year. Either the big 4 scored or we lost the game.

Actually kind of a myth. Our bottom 6 production last year was quite good.

Reactions: moon111

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I’d like for the Leafs to sign Sabourin to an NHL deal so at least we have an “enforcer” available to us.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Feel awful for Wayne! He just got back to being healthy for the first time in several years and was playing great.

Toronto has some depth, but they don't have another players anything like Wayne, who plays a heavy style game, while being defensively responsible, willing to fearlessly stand in front of the net while Toronto blasts pucks... And willing to stand up for his teammates.

He's an enormous loss because he's everything this same group lacked last year and one of the reason's they were such an easy out. Guys like Engvall, Vesey, Petan, Mikheyev don't bring anywhere close to the intangibles that Simmonds brings. Hockey IS NOT simply about skill level. It's about what you're willing to do to win. Wayne is elite in the area of intangibles and I think he gives his teammates a ton of confidence.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Gonna be interesting to see if the Habs try to intimidate the Leafs. If they do and succeed, the price for Bennett will go up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad