Injury Report: Wayne Simmonds out up to 6 weeks (Upd. Broken Wrist)

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Why would we want to spend assets to trade for a inferior player(of the players proposed so far) when we can just manage with the depth we have now for the next couple weeks before Robertson and Thornton presumably come back

None of the players in Toronto's system bring the combination of skills and intangibles that Wayne brings to the rink, unfortunately. His effectiveness is in his size, strength, willingness to go to the dirty areas, stick up for his teammates, and he's still got better hands than most. Monster in front of the net. Toronto's replacements are a bunch of soft cats.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Not the way I thought it would happen but Simmonds missing 20 games due to injury seemed like a given to me.

Get well soon Wayne. I hope Anderson gets a shot. I think he could bring some dog on a bone hustle out there as a bottom 6 RW.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
None of the players in Toronto's system bring the combination of skills and intangibles that Wayne brings to the rink, unfortunately. His effectiveness is in his size, strength, willingness to go to the dirty areas, stick up for his teammates, and he's still got better hands than most. Monster in front of the net. Toronto's replacements are a bunch of soft cats.
Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 1.30.50 PM.png

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah and the people who are being thrown around are no better then our replacements. It's a waste of time.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Thats horrible news.

On the positive side, we know what he can do and how he helps the team. He would be a lot fresher comes playoffs.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Gonna be interesting to see if the Habs try to intimidate the Leafs. If they do and succeed, the price for Bennett will go up.
I still haven't seen that roughness from Bogosian. That's the main reason why we got him (even though he's been good and steady as a stay at home dman for us).. he should amp up the intimidation factor that he has.

Reactions: ToneDog

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think we can weather this injury bug without having to make a trade. Flat out we’re not going to find a mix of Simmonds’ physicality, speed, fearlessness, and goal scoring touch for as cheap to play in our middle six on the trade market. Certainly not in Bennett or (barf) Virtanen.

We’re just going to have to move some guys up a spot in the lineup and hold on until Thornton and/or Robertson are healthy, which shouldn’t be too much longer. I’ve been impressed with Petan and think he has earned a look on the third line.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Vesey-Kerfoot-Petan
Anderson-Spezza-Boyd

Anderson over Engvall because I think he plays with more grit. If Spezza needs a break then Engvall can slot in. It’s not ideal, but it never is when the injury bug hits a team like this.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Just played his best two games for our rear ends..... don't like the nezews. At all. We need that vet presence. Hardness.

Gladly Joe is in soon. And we got Spezza the spezial. Nice.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think we can weather this injury bug without having to make a trade. Flat out we’re not going to find a mix of Simmonds’ physicality, speed, fearlessness, and goal scoring touch for as cheap to play in our middle six on the trade market. Certainly not in Bennett or (barf) Virtanen.

We’re just going to have to move some guys up a spot in the lineup and hold on until Thornton and/or Robertson are healthy, which shouldn’t be too much longer. I’ve been impressed with Petan and think he has earned a look on the third line.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Vesey-Kerfoot-Petan
Anderson-Spezza-Boyd

Anderson over Engvall because I think he plays with more grit. If Spezza needs a break then Engvall can slot in. It’s not ideal, but it never is when the injury bug hits a team like this.

I know that there is nothing else we can do with the roster Toronto has, but that lineup looks about as soft as microwaved butter. Sad :(

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Intimidation was probably the wrong term. I expect the Habs to play a "heavy" game against us and make us pay the price in front of Price. Bennett can play the "heavy" game and give it back.

I'd swap Bennett for Kerfoot and never look back. Kerfoot is actually taking more penalty minutes, gets paid considerably more, adds nothing of significance to the first powerplay unit, and doesn't drive offense on the third line like Kadri was capable of doing. I'd much rather play a guy like Spezza or Engvall in the middle there and slot Bennett into the lineup to play a heavy game. I also think he has more in him than he's showed. I think he can be a 20/20 player with jam, who makes us tougher to play against. Especially if given a chance to play on PP1 with Auston and Mitch.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
This is a big loss. He's an energy guy, steps up for teammates and makes opposing d-man look over their shoulder in the corners (ask Hughes).

Glass half full, he should have plenty of energy for the playoffs as he's a guy this team really needs in the post-season.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd swap Bennett for Kerfoot and never look back. Kerfoot is actually taking more penalty minutes, gets paid considerably more, adds nothing of significance to the first powerplay unit, and doesn't drive offense on the third line like Kadri was capable of doing. I'd much rather play a guy like Spezza or Engvall in the middle there and slot Bennett into the lineup to play a heavy game. I also think he has more in him than he's showed. I think he can be a 20/20 player with jam, who makes us tougher to play against. Especially if given a chance to play on PP1 with Auston and Mitch.

Bennett for Kerfoot frees up another $1M in cap space and makes it Kadri for Bennett and Brodie ;)

Reactions: rumman

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
This is a huge bummer. I'm thinking a trade is needed to inject some toughness back in the lineup for the next 6 weeks.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yup.

Leafs fans suddenly thinking that Sam freaking Bennett is gonna scare opponents is one of the funnier bizarre developments this season.

He can scare them more than any of our soft scrubs though. Even so he can play the heavy game, and go to the dirty area better than most of our scubs. I liken his edge to that of Kadri. He is not going to back down from the rough stuff and I bet he fights the Canuck that plastered Kerfoot into the boards.

As much as you think he sucks, I take him over Barabanov, Engvall, Anderson, Vesey, Brooks, and Petan any day of the week. Soup and Kerfoot can be debated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad