Wayne Gretzky stylistically compares Elias Pettersson to himself (again) and even Michael Jordan

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Why are people upset that gretzky likes Elias Pettersson?
Idt people are upset that he likes Pettersson, its moreso a lot of us understand that in HF's eyes now Pettersson's stock just rose through the roof and youll have a select few fans using this as ammo later on in disagreements about how Pettersson is supposedly better than the entire league minus McDavid (yes ive seen the constant polls over the year with Pettersson winning against everyone besides McDavid and MacKinnon)

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Idt people are upset that he likes Pettersson, its moreso a lot of us understand that in HF's eyes now Pettersson's stock just rose through the roof and youll have a select few fans using this as ammo later on in disagreements about how Pettersson is supposedly better than the entire league minus McDavid (yes ive seen the constant polls over the year with Pettersson winning against everyone besides McDavid and MacKinnon)

Was it just Van fans voting in those polls ?

Also why get so aggravated if people think that Pettersson has a chance to be the 3rd best player in the league behind Mcd and Mac.

Reactions: bh53

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Was it just Van fans voting in those polls ?

Also why get so aggravated if people think that Pettersson has a chance to be the 3rd best player in the league behind Mcd and Mac.
It wasnt about the 'chance' in those polls, those polls were who is better NOW and who would you rather have - and he was winning all of them. I even saw him beat Matthews and Eichel which to me is absolutely bonkers

Pettersson has some unworldly hype behind him that I personally dont understand. He will be a great player but hes hardly a 'franchise-altering' player IMO

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
It wasnt about the 'chance' in those polls, those polls were who is better NOW and who would you rather have - and he was winning all of them. I even saw him beat Matthews and Eichel which to me is absolutely bonkers

Pettersson has some unworldly hype behind him that I personally dont understand. He will be a great player but hes hardly a 'franchise-altering' player IMO

Re: Elias Pettersson

Random Hfboard member- "hardly a franchise altering player "

Wayne Gretzky- " hes a franchise player for sure that will change the trejection of the team. "

Hmmm that's a tough one chief. I dont know which opinion I should put more weight on

Reactions: Dyno, 4Orr and bh53

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You can tell the Canucks havn't had good players in a while, because almost any team with a good young player can pull out a Gretzky quote

im excited to see what he says about Mr Jack Hughes!

'Jack is alright, reminds me of the third liners I played with'

Well f*** okay Wayne

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
You can tell the Canucks havn't had good players in a while, because almost any team with a good young player can pull out a Gretzky quote

Would love some links and articles please that have Gretzky saying a player reminds him of that player in the way he played the game.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

Wayne Gretzky- " hes a franchise player for sure that will change the trejection of the team. "

Hmmm that's a tough one chief. I dont know which opinion I should put more weight on
Gretzky has called some prospects in the past the best hes ever seen and they never made the NHL as regulars

its my opinion for a reason

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Lol I'll be honest... this sounds like an NJD fan that still defends Hischier as the #1 pick in a redraft and hates anything Elias

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
It's obviously ridiculous to compare Elias to himself. But, he also mentions himself and Jordan as comparables. That's not being humble. He knows damn well Elias can't touch either of them.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Gretzky underrates himself as much as any athlete I've ever seen.

Can we stop with the EP/Gretzky comparisons? This is not the first or second time I've heard it. Let's take it easy, Vancouver.
Let’s take it easy Vancouver what lmao
It’s literally the great man himself saying it

MMMOOOWWW

Dec 1, 2017
BC
Sure Ep40 is similar to Gretzky. Physically unimpressive, yet a great skater, surprisingly good slap shot, great playmaker, extremely high compete level. Finds ways to take over games. Sure he wont dominate the league like 99 did, but the similarities are there.
Yes there are similarities. They both wear skates, gloves a helmet and shoot left.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017

I think at this point, you can ignore both, as neither will tend to hold much weight on these types of things.

Last edited:

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
lemieux >gretzky
jordan>>>gretzky

petterson <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< any of those 3 even in 15 years
What? How is Lemieux or Jordan better than Gretzky? Lemieux is clearly behind according to almost all hockey minds, but Jordan is hardly even considered the GOAT of basketball anymore. Theres too many guys in the NBA challenging him right now.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I don't think we should compare McDavid to the Great Pettersson. Did you know that kid had a high shooting percentage in Sweden two years ago?

He'll probably shoot 25-30% next season.
Thats a good thing he'll be shooting that high too because everyone knows that a player is judged on his talent based on his shooting percentages.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Somebody be sure to add Pettersson's name to the list of "players Gretzky thinks are the best ever." Probably like 20 names below "Ales Hemsky" at this point.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad