Wayne Gretzky stylistically compares Elias Pettersson to himself (again) and even Michael Jordan

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
How do people continue to not understand that it’s a stylistic comparison and not a comparison in overall greatness or accomplishment?
And how do the Pettey groupies not understand this, when discussing Pettersson value or comparing him to other active NHL players? I have read numerous time, that even Gretzky compares Pettersson to himself, when arguing Pettersson is better than anybody else.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
And how do the Pettey groupies not understand this, when discussing Pettersson value or comparing him to other active NHL players? I have read numerous time, that even Gretzky compares Pettersson to himself, when arguing Pettersson is better than anybody else.
Well I guess it goes both ways. “Groupies” as you put it or the “haters” as the kids say. On either side of the coin, I can’t see how people don’t understand what a stylistic comparison is very different than a comparison in accomplished or possible accomplished greatness.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Well, Gretzky tends to praise everybody. That said, that Petterson kid surely is something Special. Maybe Gretzky, but a Forsberg type of Player? Absolutely possible.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Lol @ all the haters trying to diminish the fact that 99 sees something special here. He's never said this about anyone before or since.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I spent a couple minutes on google and here's Gretzky saying Pettersson and Crosby both play similar to him https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/wayne-gretzky-compares-canucks’-elias-pettersson-to-himself-sidney-crosby/ar-BBPCKF5
"A guy like Pettersson plays probably more in line with the way Sidney plays or even the way I played in that he’s gotta utilize his eyes and his hockey sense and rely on his instinct and ability on the ice because he’s not a big guy."
This fails to address the claim that Gretzky directly compares other (than Pettersson) players style to his own.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
- Gretzky compares Pettersson to himself. Then draws further comparison of Pettersson to Crosby

- Realizes Crosby plays nothing like Gretzky

You can just about throw that comparison out of the window

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Gretzky's 100% spot on with the Jordan comparison. Petterson will be dunking on Hidden Hair of Hynes like Jordan on a drunken hobo for years to come.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I spent a couple minutes on google and here's Gretzky saying Pettersson and Crosby both play similar to him https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/wayne-gretzky-compares-canucks’-elias-pettersson-to-himself-sidney-crosby/ar-BBPCKF5
"A guy like Pettersson plays probably more in line with the way Sidney plays or even the way I played in that he’s gotta utilize his eyes and his hockey sense and rely on his instinct and ability on the ice because he’s not a big guy."
I mean Gretz is saying Petterson plays like "more in line" with Crosby or even himself. It's not saying Crosby played like Gretz.

And it's not a "stylistic" comparison beyond using smarts over brawn.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I find it comical how often only two pages in you have to redirect peoples focus as to what the article was about . . I blame iPhones for people’s lack of attention span. . Squirrel!!!

To me Pettersen stylistically ( yes, that’s what we’re talking about ) does play a similar game to the Great One. . No, he is not, nor will ever be, as good

I’d like to hear from Oil fans who watched Gretzky in the 80s and have seen Pettersen play more than once. . . Do you guys think this is just Wayne being Wayne? Or do you see the similarities in playing style that he has mentioned?
You don't need Oil fans to tell you. Anyone who watched hockey in the 80s will have seen more Gretz than you can shake a stick at.

So asking some young person probably won't get you anywhere.

Reactions: johan f

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad