Wayne Gretzky stylistically compares Elias Pettersson to himself (again) and even Michael Jordan

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
In a recent interview. Gretzky once again compares Elias Pettersson to himself.

Before you lose your marbles, he is only comparing playing style, and IQ. Performance and stats will obviously not come close

Gretzky also compares Elias to Michael Jordan as in they werent 1st overall picks but the player can change the whole fortune of a franchise.

Here is the link..its in Sweedish. If anyone can translate further that would be great.

”Får gå rätt långt tillbaka för att se något liknande”

Gretzky quotes

"Yes, the young man in Vancouver has really impressed me. We always compare athletes with each other and if anyone reminds of myself in my eyes, it is Elias Pettersson. For several reasons. Firstly, he may not be the best skater or has the hardest shot, he is not the physically biggest player on the track, but he sees the ice as well. And he has a great understanding of the game, but the most important thing is his work ethic. If you look at him and he loses the puck, he stays and immediately makes an attempt to win it back. Many young players make an extra turn and take some time to do so, but not Elias. He's right there and is fighting his puck again"

"When it comes to his shot, it's harder than people think. I've seen him score this season, where I tell myself, "Wow, that was a really hard shot."

Gretzky is asked..is Elias Pettersson a franchise changing player ?

"Oh, absolutely. I compared him a little with Michael Jordan when he came to the Chicago Bulls. Jordan went third in the NBA rally and Elias was not the number one when he was drafted. Such a thing happens and sometimes it happens for some reason we can't foresee, but this guy is a franchise player. I love to see how he gives everything in all situations. He is a racing man out in his fingertips. He works hard and he is so selfless. It's fun to see him play. I sit there in front of the TV and hope he will score that fourth, fifth or sixth point in the game. It's good for hockey, that's how I see it."

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Humble Wayne strikes again.

giphy.gif

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Would love links and articles of Gretzky comparing himself to someone else with this much detail and focus.

Not saying he hasn't but it definitely seems legit that he think EP40 has a similar style. This isnt the first time hes publically spoken about Ep40 in great detail.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
EP40 reminds me of Gretzky with his lanky build and terrific hockey IQ. He processes the game better than most players and knows where to place the puck and where to go directly after. I’ll think to myself EP had an average game until I look at the scoresheet and realize he had 3 points and was +2, Gretzky like.

Reactions: Ippenator

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Would love links and articles of Gretzky comparing himself to someone else with this much detail and focus.

Not saying he hasn't but it definitely seems legit that he think EP40 has a similar style. This isnt the first time hes publically spoken about Ep40 in great detail.
Gretzky: McDavid is the best 19 year old I've ever seen

This page is still open and it's about mcdavid so noone got sad about making fun of Gretzky complimenting everyone . It has a few good quotes and stuff from when asked about random players .

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
why is he comparing Elias to a defenseman that was drafted 105th overall that only played parts of three seasons with the Canes?

Because it, indeed, turned the fortune of the whole franchise. It made the Canes draft better after getting such a dud (they have been drafting much better since). That's what Michal Jordan is remembered for.

Reactions: iamjs

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Gretzky: McDavid is the best 19 year old I've ever seen

This page is still open and it's about mcdavid so noone got sad about making fun of Gretzky complimenting everyone . It has a few good quotes and stuff from when asked about random players .

That mentions nothing about McDavid having the same playing style as Gretzky .

All that article was about is Gretzky being amazed at Mcdavids accomplishments and skill

This thread isnt about accomplishments. It's about Gretzky saying someone plays like him and he gives specific details about it. Not a generic compliment.

Reactions: Zanon

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
That mentions nothing about McDavid having the same playing style as Gretzky .

All that article was about is Gretzky being amazed at Mcdavids accomplishments and skill
I was just talking about the quotes some guys brought up like the hemsky one or the Bruce broudreau one . He compliments guys like crazy. Maybe he doesn't say they play like him he normally says they are straight up better than him .

I used the mcdavid page because even then everyone knew Gretzky compliments are a joke.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Lol he always says people are better then him, this time he called him slow and weak with a meh shot.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I was just talking about the quotes some guys brought up like the hemsky one or the Bruce broudreau one . He compliments guys like crazy. Maybe he doesn't say they play like him he normally says they are straight up better than him .

I used the mcdavid page because even then everyone knew Gretzky compliments are a joke.

Again, compliments are one thing ....that's not what I'm focusing on here... I'm not talking about Gretzky saying Ep40 is better than him or Is impressed that he will win the Calder.

Gretzky is talking about playing style in detail and comparing Pettersson to himself.

Yes Gretzky throws outs compliments but has he thrown out a detailed description of comparing his playing style to any particular NHLer?

I believe that's a rarity.

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad