Wayne Gretzky stylistically compares Elias Pettersson to himself (again) and even Michael Jordan

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
No I just would like to read it and use it as a source as well.

It's a simple request no?

A link/source to an interview or article where Gretzky compares a players style to his.

Were 4 pages in and I'm still waiting.

I'll add it to the original thread once I get it

Scroll up there bud

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
a number of people tell you something is the way it is and the ONE person who doesnt believe it is the one who wont go and inform themself on the matter

Imagine having the ability to find out anything anywhere in the world with a simple type and click, and you choose not to use it

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It’s your claim. . He’s asking for a link

He has to provide the link to support your claim?!?

The OP has been beyond patient in this thread, consistently providing clarity as to the content of the article posted
‘My claim’

You must be mistaking a public forum board for a courtroom, I have zero obligation to teach the ignorant on any matter. If they choose to be blind to the facts that is their choice

Enel

May 18, 2016
Maybe Gretzky is just using EP to indirectly compare himself to Jordan.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
If Wayne met his clone, what would he say to him?

Did I just blow your mind?

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
He's not wrong. Look, I've been watching the game since 1983, and in that time I would say that Pettersson is the player that *most* reminds me of Gretzky in the time since Wayne was playing. Does that mean that Elias is going to be as good as Gretz, or even come close to dominating the game like he did? OH HELL NO. That's so unlikely, it borders on nearly impossible. I honestly doubt Elias beats even one of Waynes 61 NHL records. All it means is that in many ways, they play an eerily similar style, have a similar body type, look similar when they play, and Elias thinks the game at another level than most players. Like Wayne, it's weird how he seems to see the play before it happens.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I remember while Gretzky was still playing, he said that Kariya and Selanne were good enough to break his records. At the time, I was in shock. I couldn’t believe that he actually said that!!!

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Lol, Gretzky at it again. Petterson didn't even average a ppg in his 20 year old rookie season and now he is Gretzky according to Gretzky. Great rookie season by Elias by today's standards , but we all know what happens to players Gretzky compares to himself...... Vancouver....if I were you....I would tell 99 to bugger off.... :laugh:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lol, Gretzky at it again. Petterson didn't even average a ppg in his 20 year old rookie season and now he is Gretzky according to Gretzky. Great rookie season by Elias by today's standards , but we all know what happens to players Gretzky compares to himself...... Vancouver....if I were you....I would tell 99 to bugger off.... :laugh:

Chalk up another 1 under the " I didnt read or understand the article "

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
The reading comprehension on this thread is simply mind boggling.

I can't believe we're 5 pages in and posters are still coming in talking about stats, accomplishments and records. ....

How hard is it to read and understand the article that Gretzky is comparing a players playing style to his. A gesture he doesnt do often.

In fact the quote is ...

" We always compare athletes with each other and if anyone reminds of myself in my eyes, it is Elias "

He is comparing playing style....not saying Elias will break his records..

Yes Gretzky often compliments players all the time...

BUT he very very very rarely says that a player plays hockey like the way he did .

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Chalk up another 1 under the " I didnt read or understand the article "
It is common these days to just read the headline, and perhaps the first few lines of the article, and make your judgement off of that. The average person does that, anyways. In fact, the average person purely just reads the title. I think you could have chosen a better title, and you would have less people making comments like this.

Reactions: Dyno

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
It is common these days to just read the headline, and perhaps the first few lines of the article, and make your judgement off of that. The average person does that, anyways. In fact, the average person purely just reads the title. I think you could have chosen a better title, and you would have less people making comments like this.

That's fair but really it's not that hard to read. It is a message board after all.
But I gave too much credit...lesson.learned.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
That's fair but really it's not that hard to read. It is a message board after all.
But I gave too much credit...lesson.learned.
The average person is very drone like and will either join in on the circle jerk of the most popular opinion, believe what they believe to be true based off of emotion rather than facts, or both. It's obvious what Gretzky meant when he said what he did about Pettersson, and anyone that read the article or has a lick of common sense would know that. The problem is, the average person is just not going to care about looking into the truth and will just go with whatever narrative is most entertaining, which is 'lol Gretzky always humble and overrating every player haha dum dum'. All Gretzky was doing was noting how much Pettersson, STYLISTICALLY, plays like him.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
The average person is very drone like and will either join in on the circle jerk of the most popular opinion, believe what they believe to be true based off of emotion rather than facts, or both. It's obvious what Gretzky meant when he said what he did about Pettersson, and anyone that read the article or has a lick of common sense would know that. The problem is, the average person is just not going to care about looking into the truth and will just go with whatever narrative is most entertaining, which is 'lol Gretzky always humble and overrating every player haha dum dum'. All Gretzky was doing was noting how much Pettersson, STYLISTICALLY, plays like him.

I'm hoping you are right and people just didnt read the article. The sad part would be if people did read the thread article and still came out posting ...

" Gretzky always says so and.so will break his records "

I'd still like to carry a glimmer of hope for mankind and education.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I'm hoping you are right and people just didnt read the article. The sad part would be if people did read the thread article and still came out posting ...

" Gretzky always says so and.so will break his records "

I'd still like to carry a glimmer of hope for mankind and education.
I feel that the rate of intelligent responses drops when there's a karma/like system, as well. There will be a lot of people who will chime in just repeating the most entertaining/memeworthy narrative in order to get precious internet points and feel good about themselves. This is why you see the most derpy, useless takes on places like Twitter and Reddit, where pretty much the whole site is centered around achieving likes, re-tweets and karma score.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Thats my GOAT

I love it when he hypes other players at his own expense. The most humble superstar athlete of all time

The GREAT ONE..

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
EP40 reminds me of Gretzky with his lanky build and terrific hockey IQ. He processes the game better than most players and knows where to place the puck and where to go directly after. I’ll think to myself EP had an average game until I look at the scoresheet and realize he had 3 points and was +2, Gretzky like.

There were a lot of Canuck games I watched this year (I watch almost all of them, at least 75) like ten to fifteen where he wasn’t a factor at all. I don’t just mean where he didn’t get a point I mean wasn’t a factor.

This isn’t talked about much because i know cheech will throw up a highlight of him in a backcheck and make it seem like it’s prime bob gainey but that’s ok for a rookie. It is. Not all stars in this league had 82 rookie games where they were the best player on the ice.

But the way he’s talked about by some you’d think he was perfect in every game.

It’s just not the case and to be honest I don’t remember seeing Gretzky play as smart of a defensive game as Pettersen does. Plus the shots are very different. I don’t find many similarities in the two at all other then that they have hockey iq in the extremes and are skinny.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I watched Gretzky in the 80s. Yes, Pettersson plays quite a similar style. Completely non-physical (more normal now than in Gretzky's day), a head-game, smooth and deliberate in execution.

In short, I agree with Gretzky.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->