Wayne Gretzky stylistically compares Elias Pettersson to himself (again) and even Michael Jordan

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hard to give Gretzky's words any sort of credibility... According to him he's a middle of the pack 3rd liner and everyone's more talented than he's ever been.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Sure Ep40 is similar to Gretzky. Physically unimpressive, yet a great skater, surprisingly good slap shot, great playmaker, extremely high compete level. Finds ways to take over games. Sure he wont dominate the league like 99 did, but the similarities are there.

Agreed to a degree. Although i think the comparisons go way overboard nowadays "this one included" i have to say i too see the similarities. But i also get shades of Sundin somehow. Although Pettersson is a better skater.

Reactions: Hetfield

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Waiting for butthurt fans to cry that Canucks fans are comparing Petey to #99. Shouldn't be long.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed to a degree. Although i think the comparisons go way overboard nowadays "this one included" i have to say i too see the similarities. But i also get shades of Sundin somehow. Although Pettersson is a better skater.

I dont see that comparison at all. Sundin had more of a power game. Ep40 is shifty and finesse and can get outmuscled at times. It was hard to take the puck away from Sundin on the boards.

Both have elite vision tho

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Bask in my photoshop skillz!

upload_2019-4-23_14-11-37.png

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
All superstars struggle ..

Look at McDavid.. pointless in the last 2 playoff seasons.

I don't think we should compare McDavid to the Great Pettersson. Did you know that kid had a high shooting percentage in Sweden two years ago?

He'll probably shoot 25-30% next season.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Gretzky underrates himself as much as any athlete I've ever seen.

Can we stop with the EP/Gretzky comparisons? This is not the first or second time I've heard it. Let's take it easy, Vancouver.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Gretzky underrates himself as much as any athlete I've ever seen.

Can we stop with the EP/Gretzky comparisons? This is not the first or second time I've heard it. Let's take it easy, Vancouver.

Lmao

It's not Vancouver doing the comparing.

If anything, Vancouver fans are trying to pump the breaks because they arent used to having nice things.

Its Gretzky, Sporrsnet, CBC, media etc that's doing the comparison

Reactions: bh53

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Gretzky has constantly compared current players to himself, and talked up the league.

WHenever he speaks, he's trying to hype up the NHL. He's the ultimate ambassador for the game, and will never admit publically that there will never be a player as good as he was again.
Statistically as good*

Wayne is no idiot he realizes the talent today has evolved and is far stronger than the past

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Gretz once said that Yachmenev was one of the best young players he had ever seen.

K but did he say Yachmenev plays hockey the way Gretzky did ?

Lol this is what I mean,

Gretzky isnt saying he is impressed with Petterssons stats etc ...

He is saying that Pettersson reminds him of him stylistically and play wise.

Has he done this often ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad