Wayne Gretzky stylistically compares Elias Pettersson to himself (again) and even Michael Jordan

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
The article mentions nothing about records or stats.

I find it comical how often only two pages in you have to redirect peoples focus as to what the article was about . . I blame iPhones for people’s lack of attention span. . Squirrel!!!

To me Pettersen stylistically ( yes, that’s what we’re talking about ) does play a similar game to the Great One. . No, he is not, nor will ever be, as good

I’d like to hear from Oil fans who watched Gretzky in the 80s and have seen Pettersen play more than once. . . Do you guys think this is just Wayne being Wayne? Or do you see the similarities in playing style that he has mentioned?

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Gretzky underrates himself as much as any athlete I've ever seen.

Can we stop with the EP/Gretzky comparisons? This is not the first or second time I've heard it. Let's take it easy, Vancouver.
Vancouver isn't making the comparison, Gretzky is, twice for that matter.

Reactions: bh53

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
How do people continue to not understand that it’s a stylistic comparison and not a comparison in overall greatness or accomplishment?

Two players on completely different tiers can play the same style of hockey and one be a million times better than the other.

This isnt Gretzky saying that Pettersson is going to be a GOAT, it’s judt him saying that they play the game in a similar way. Doesn’t mean he’s suggesting that Pettersson does those things as well as he does, just that the approach is similar.

On another note, Paul Karyia also recently said that Pettersson reminds him of Gretzky stylistically. He is also not suggesting that it means Pettersson will end up as good or anywhere near as good, just that they play a similar brand of hockey.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Gretzky has constantly compared current players to himself, and talked up the league.

WHenever he speaks, he's trying to hype up the NHL. He's the ultimate ambassador for the game, and will never admit publically that there will never be a player as good as he was again.
Arguably already was in Mario Lemieux.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
The list of players Gretzky has compared to himself is longer than the list of women Wilt Chamberlain has spent intimate time with.

Source please or link me

To a List of players that Gretzky has compared a player stylistically played in detail to the way he played ....

I'll wait.

Reactions: Caboose

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
I find it comical how often only two pages in you have to redirect peoples focus as to what the article was about . . I blame iPhones for people’s lack of attention span. . Squirrel!!!

To me Pettersen stylistically ( yes, that’s what we’re talking about ) does play a similar game to the Great One. . No, he is not, nor will ever be, as good

I’d like to hear from Oil fans who watched Gretzky in the 80s and have seen Pettersen play more than once. . . Do you guys think this is just Wayne being Wayne? Or do you see the similarities in playing style that he has mentioned?

I have seen both play. It is Wayne being Wayne. He literally compliments everyone. This is not to say Petterson is good but you have to take what Wayne says with a grain of salt. He never (or very rarely) says anything negative.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Source please or link me

To a List of players that Gretzky has compared a player stylistically played in detail to the way he played ....

I'll wait.
Just because youre uninformed on the matter doesnt mean someone else has to do your research

Its more than common knowledge that Gretzky has compared himself and called talents the greatest hes seen, some not even making the NHL.

Ales Hemsky was once the next great one. Alex Hemsky.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Source please or link me

I'll wait.
Don’t be a Susan. I don’t have the time nor inclination to put together a huge post full of links to articles of the many times Gretzky has done this. On the Wings alone in the past decade he’s done it with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Larkin, and Nyquist that I can recall off the top of my head. He’s a humble guy who loves to pump the tires of current players. It’s called hyperbole and he’s a master of it. You can search NHL.com alone and find dozens of quotes of him calling X player the best in the league, reminds him of himself, etc etc

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I have seen both play. It is Wayne being Wayne. He literally compliments everyone. This is not to say Petterson is good but you have to take what Wayne says with a grain of salt. He never (or very rarely) says anything negative.

Appreciate the informed response as opposed to the HF hot take

Cheers!

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
It wasnt about the 'chance' in those polls, those polls were who is better NOW and who would you rather have - and he was winning all of them. I even saw him beat Matthews and Eichel which to me is absolutely bonkers

Pettersson has some unworldly hype behind him that I personally dont understand. He will be a great player but hes hardly a 'franchise-altering' player IMO
Easily franchise altering. More so than Hischier thats for sure.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Just because youre uninformed on the matter doesnt mean someone else has to do your research

Its more than common knowledge that Gretzky has compared himself and called talents the greatest hes seen, some not even making the NHL.

Ales Hemsky was once the next great one. Alex Hemsky.

Lmao.

Did you even read the article that the thread is about ?

It's about Gretzky saying that if theres ever a player he would compare their game to, to his... its Elias Pettersson

Reactions: John Johnson

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Lmao.

Did you even read the article that the thread is about ?

It's about Gretzky saying that if theres ever a player he would compare their game to, to his... its Elias Pettersson
Yeah and hes said that a dozen times to other players, as plenty of others have tried telling you already

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah and hes said that a dozen times to other players, as plenty of others have tried telling you already

I've literally asked for links and sources and have yet to see one.

People just keep saying that 99 has said nice compliments about other players.

But like I said I'll wait to be linked to an interview or article that has Gretzky saying that player X plays very similar to the way he did aka stylistically comparing himself and player.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

But like I said I'll wait to be linked to an interview or article that has Gretzky saying that player X plays very similar to the way he did aka stylistically comparing himself and player.
DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH

Youll be waiting for quite some time

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH

Youll be waiting for quite some time

Lmao ..in other words theres little to no link ?

It's not my job to provide the source or link as it's not me claiming that Gretzky has done this "plenty" of times.

Are you new here ?

Its posters job to provide sources for their claims not the other way around.

Sorry bro you're done

Reactions: John Johnson

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
delete, i dont want to contribute further to the derailing of the thread. Ill leave the uninformed the way they came in

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI

lol

Do you think we're lying to you?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
lol

Do you think we're lying to you?

No I just would like to read it and use it as a source as well.

It's a simple request no?

A link/source to an interview or article where Gretzky compares a players style to his.

Were 4 pages in and I'm still waiting.

I'll add it to the original thread once I get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad