13: Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa-OHL
41: Jeremie Poirier, D, Saint John-QMJHL
53: Vasili Ponomareyv, C, Shawinigan-QMJHL
69: Daniil Guschin, LW, Muskegon-USHL
115: Connor McClennon, RW, Winnipeg-WHL
140: Adam Wilsby, D, Sodertalje-Allsvenskan
199: James Hardie, LW, Mississauga-OHL
208: Timothy Lovell, D, Des Moines

Jarvis went at 12, Aksarov at 11 and from what I’ve read, I think I’d prefer the Canes take Cormier over Poirier if they go D in the 2nd. A nice haul though. I’d imagine Wheeler would wholeheartedly approve as a bunch of the guys here are in his top 50

There were comments that 4-5 teams in the top 10 are rumored to have real interest in the goalie.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Here’s Pronman’s take on CAR’s 2020 picks:

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Jarvis went at 12, Aksarov at 11 and from what I’ve read, I think I’d prefer the Canes take Cormier over Poirier if they go D in the 2nd. A nice haul though. I’d imagine Wheeler would wholeheartedly approve as a bunch of the guys here are in his top 50

There were comments that 4-5 teams in the top 10 are rumored to have real interest in the goalie.
So 0 goalies drafted? Our biggest long-term glaring hole and he doesn't have us swinging for even a Calle Clang later on?

Reactions: emptyNedder

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I would much rather have Mercer or Zary than Quinn. Maybe we could get NJ to overpay to move up to take the brother.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wouldn’t mind Quinn, but still really want Jarvis. I prefer Zary or Holloway to Mercer, but any of them would be fine too.

I think they try to re-stock the D in the 2nd round.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Damn can’t believe I missed the draft

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
Quinn seems like a good pure goal scorer to me. I would be happy with that pick. We are not getting a 1C in this draft, might as well get someone who can make an impact on the scoresheet. I doubt we trade back in the draft but Jan Mysak is still my dark horse pick for the Canes. He has played against men in the top Czech league and scored a ton against kids his own age when he came to NA mid-season. Projects as a top-6 C or LW and is listed as high as #17. With his experience in the top Czech league, he may be able to make the Canes sooner rather then later. Remind you of anyone?
Mysak.jpg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Quinn is one of the best scorers in the Draft and Askarov/Jarvis were gone. That's the pick I'd make too.

Poirier, Ponomarev, and Guschin are three of the biggest "swing for the fences" picks in the draft. Definitely the Canes style. Clearly Pronman fancies his own scouting chops to be similar to Carolina as he had all 3 ranked higher in his own rankings. As I had written a couple days ago I'd be stoked to get Ponomarev. Potential elite playmaker to put next to Svech.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Jarvis went at 12, Aksarov at 11 and from what I’ve read, I think I’d prefer the Canes take Cormier over Poirier if they go D in the 2nd. A nice haul though.

Here are my thoughts given how Pronman's mock plays out.

13--Quinn makes sense and has a pretty high ceiling
41—if D is the plan both Faber and Jurmo would be better options
53—Ponomareyv is a solid player. However his size and role isn't that much different from Drury and Rees. I think going for a C with more offensive upside makes sense. My preference is Niederbach (I think his ceiling is something like Krejci); given the mock, I would also prefer Hirvonen, who is small but has a high offensive ceiling.
69—for me I take Berard or Seeley every chance at this spot
115—McClennon is a good choice. Though this is now the spot to swing big, so Ljungman is suddenly looking like a boom/bust goal scorer.
140—Wilsby is a double over-ager. Not bad, but I think all three of Magnusson, Cardwell, and Ratzlaff have the potential to be 5th round successes.
199—If he is still around, Gut makes more sense. There is something about the scouting reports that makes me think he can be Cirelli-lite.
208—Time for a goalie, any goalie.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

53—Ponomareyv is a solid player. However his size and role isn't that much different from Drury and Rees. I think going for a C with more offensive upside makes sense. My preference is Niederbach (I think his ceiling is something like Krejci); given the mock, I would also prefer Hirvonen, who is small but has a high offensive ceiling.
115—McClennon is a good choice. Though this is now the spot to swing big, so Ljungman is suddenly looking like a boom/bust goal scorer.
140—Wilsby is a double over-ager. Not bad, but I think all three of Magnusson, Cardwell, and Ratzlaff have the potential to be 5th round successes.
199—If he is still around, Gut makes more sense. There is something about the scouting reports that makes me think he can be Cirelli-lite.

Pronman on Ponomarev:
I think he’s one of the most talented players in the draft. There were about ten moments I can recall from watching him this past season where he made truly elite plays, plays that screamed top-six caliber NHL forward. He has high-end skill, and tremendous ability to improvise with his playmaking and ability to find his teammates. ... He works hard, he kills penalties and most scouts praise his compete level.

Pronman has Ponomarev ranked with higher Skating and Hockey Sense abilities while having the same Puck Skills.

I don't know much about Niederbach at all but from what I have read and seen about Ponomarev he is not like Drury or Rees. I'd put his upside more as a Backstrom type.

Scott Wheeler doesn't have either in his top-50 but has Hirvonen at #28 and Guschin at #39.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Quinn is one of the best scorers in the Draft and Askarov/Jarvis were gone. That's the pick I'd make too.

Poirier, Ponomarev, and Guschin are three of the biggest "swing for the fences" picks in the draft. Definitely the Canes style. Clearly Pronman fancies his own scouting chops to be similar to Carolina as he had all 3 ranked higher in his own rankings. As I had written a couple days ago I'd be stoked to get Ponomarev. Potential elite playmaker to put next to Svech.
As much as I'm not a huge fan of Quinn, looking at how his draft unfolded, probably was the best pick. Maybe I'd consider Amirov as well. Poirier is a little high risk for me, and there are a few guys I would have taken over him, but we could probably use some fence swinging at this stage. The more guys that could boom right when we need cheap boom talent, the better.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
And to be clear, I don't want nothing but safe picks. I don't miss the days of drafting a bunch of third line hopefuls at best. I just don't know that I want a bunch of guys at the tippy top of the risk end either.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Pronman has Ponomarev ranked with higher Skating and Hockey Sense abilities while having the same Puck Skills.

I don't know much about Niederbach at all but from what I have read and seen about Ponomarev he is not like Drury or Rees. I'd put his upside more as a Backstrom type.

I think Ponomarev would be a good pick—not arguing that he wouldn't. In fact, I think he and Niederbach are pretty close. Where Pronman favors Ponomarev, McKeen's rated Niederbach higher. In fact, McKeen's scored Niederbach as 65 for "Smarts," which was the same as Perfetti, Lundell, and Raymond. HockeyProspect.com also rated his IQ highly—as they did for Ponomarev.

I haven't watched either extensively—so I rely on reports. What jumped out about Niederbach is that every report written mentions things like poise, smartness, and effort. My favorite is from McKeen's which called him "masterful at finding open teammates." That was supported by HP's report which indicated that in the game they scouted he "gave his line mates 2(!) open nets."

Let's hope the Canes get one and he turns into the perfect 2C for the future.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think Ponomarev would be a good pick—not arguing that he wouldn't. In fact, I think he and Niederbach are pretty close. Where Pronman favors Ponomarev, McKeen's rated Niederbach higher. In fact, McKeen's scored Niederbach as 65 for "Smarts," which was the same as Perfetti, Lundell, and Raymond. HockeyProspect.com also rated his IQ highly—as they did for Ponomarev.

I haven't watched either extensively—so I rely on reports. What jumped out about Niederbach is that every report written mentions things like poise, smartness, and effort. My favorite is from McKeen's which called him "masterful at finding open teammates." That was supported by HP's report which indicated that in the game they scouted he "gave his line mates 2(!) open nets."

Let's hope the Canes get one and he turns into the perfect 2C for the future.

Sounds like the Canes should take one at #41 and the other at #52. Can't have enough playmaking 2C options. I'm not a huge fan of offensive D who take a bunch of risks at the junior level so I'd be good with skipping on Poirier.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Yeah definitely agree on the 7th. Not having Levi selected here when he's on the board and taking a 5'8 dman that doesn't have much of an offensive rep would be beyond frustrating.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Sounds like the Canes should take one at #41 and the other at #52. Can't have enough playmaking 2C options. I'm not a huge fan of offensive D who take a bunch of risks at the junior level so I'd be good with skipping on Poirier.
Agree. Poirier is one of D who really doesn't do much for me, especially if Seeley is available at 69 and Ratzlaff at 140. I think Seeley is close to first-round talent and Ratzlaff is likely the most athletic D-man available, though he might choose not to play hockey

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
From today's Tweetmail post from Michael Smith:

Apart from Askarov, which prospects do you see the Canes eying? If they are gone, do you see a decent trade occurring? - @T_Mann30
If Askarov is indeed off the board by the time the Canes are set to pick at 13, there are a number of prospects who could potentially be available. We'll dive deeper into some of these names later in the week, but just to give you an idea of some possibilities …
Up front there are players such as Jack Quinn, Anton Lundell, Dawson Mercer, Seth Jarvis and Hendrix Lapierre, who's rocking one of the best names on the draft board. On defense, there are a couple names in Kaiden Guhle and Braden Schneider who could also be available.
"We all know who is probably going 1-2-3. After that, the next five guys or so. Then you have a group of another seven or eight guys that we didn't think we'd ever be in the mix for. We feel good about it," Waddell said. "We've done our homework on all those players. You don't know who's going to be there, but if we do keep our pick, we know we're going to get a good player."
And then again there is the question of a trade, which is certainly a possibility. Let's dig into that next.

Any chance the Canes try to package picks to either move up in the draft or trade for a current player? - @that_other_kdog
In the case that the Canes opt to move the 13th overall pick, I think it's more likely the team uses it to acquire a player already established in the league rather than trading up to snag a prospect who is a couple seasons away from being able to make an impact.
And, there might be a market to make a move.
"It's the busiest time after a season I've ever had in the history of being a general manager," Waddell said. "There haven't been any days that have gone by where I haven't talked to some GMs. There's a flat cap, and a lot of teams are up against the cap. We've got a little space, but not a lot of space. Then there's the economics. Let's face it. What happened this past year and the unknown going forward, there are a lot of teams looking to move money off their books. It's been an interesting time."

More talk about the scouting process, recency bias and prospect camp issues in the article as well.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
And to be clear, I don't want nothing but safe picks. I don't miss the days of drafting a bunch of third line hopefuls at best. I just don't know that I want a bunch of guys at the tippy top of the risk end either.

Yeah it would suck if we draft all boom/bust prospects and wind up with not a single contributor from this draft, which is a chance you take drafting high risk guys like that. You need a healthy balance. We've done a good job of having solid bottom 6 guys in the pipeline here to rotate out when guys like Wallmark, Gauthier are traded or leave, etc. so we definitely need to plan to keep that up with some safer picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad