OT: Watcha Listening To? - Part II

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I’ve been trying to remember if that was the show I was going to go to or if it was deadheaven or deafheavens or whatever the other one is for the past few hours and I’m still kind of confused by which band I’m thinking of, it’s whichever one the guy Walter from quicksand/gorilla biscuits is in now and I remember my boss telling me they were playing somewhere and I was going to go straight from work but ended up just not going
It's a good album; More heavy and somber than Oshin and whatnot. Accidentally listened to it five times through last night. They're a funny band. At the Deafheaven show, which was Halloween night, during DIIV's set they were a) all dressed as ghouls, and b) literally had a short girl wearing matching makeup sitting motionless on a stool on the stage, only to let out a shriek between each song. :laugh:

It was so, so great. Shoegaze really is for f***ing nerds. :laugh:

Bunch of skinny ghouls waiving Jazzmasters around.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It's a good album; More heavy and somber than Oshin and whatnot. Accidentally listened to it five times through last night. They're a funny band. At the Deafheaven show, which was Halloween night, during DIIV's set they were a) all dressed as ghouls, and b) literally had a short girl wearing matching makeup sitting motionless on a stool on the stage, only to let out a shriek between each song. :laugh:

It was so, so great. Shoegaze really is for ****ing nerds. :laugh:

Bunch of skinny ghouls waiving Jazzmasters around.
You can say that again. The friends that I have that love it and got me into it are some of the biggest nerds I know, they’ve ruined parties because they just had to show everyone some new shoegaze band they found out about

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You can say that again. The friends that I have that love it and got me into it are some of the biggest nerds I know, they’ve ruined parties because they just had to show everyone some new shoegaze band they found out about
Same. Tuesday night my friend texts me "Yo you coming over to watch the game? I have some new shoegaze albums to show you".

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Might've mentioned this before (if so, apologies – I'm into the whisky this evening), but recently I've really been digging performances of my ancestral music:

Yes, I've mixed Irish and Scottish. I'm an American mutt. :)

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I was way too young and dumb the first time I heard this album. It's relentless and brilliant. You have no idea what is coming next.

Last edited:

Fletch4

Aug 20, 2019
$183 for the lower bowl.

Going tonight. Too cheap in my old age to buy tickets for two shows (can't chastise my wife for wasting money on tickets when I'm doing the same). Was lucky enough to get face value tickets when they went on sale, but I think I'm even with the stage. Would like to be a few sections over. Often blocked by speakers and other stage assemblies having sat there in past concerts. Whatever it is, should be awesome. Waited too long!

Reactions: egelband

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
never listened to them

where to start
They're in much the same vein as the Brian Jonestown Massacre: psychedelic rock revival, 60s retro, just a lot harder and with way more disortion. Also in the same vein as BJM is their catalog: almost all their albums are very good and each has it's own sound. They from the Bay Area too. Their first album B.R.M.C. is good, sounds kind of like Oasis + the Jesus & Mary Chain, psychedelic. Howl is good, it's mostly acoustic.

Another awesome related band, turn-of-the-century psychdelic rock rival, is the Black Angels. See Passover.

And the band that all the above—and the entire shoegaze/noise/space rock/psychdelic revival genres—owe basically everything to, the most underrated in history: Spacemen 3.

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
They're in much the same vein as the Brian Jonestown Massacre: psychedelic rock revival, 60s retro, just a lot harder and with way more disortion. Also in the same vein as BJM is their catalog: almost all their albums are very good and each has it's own sound. They from the Bay Area too. Their first album B.R.M.C. is good, sounds kind of like Oasis + the Jesus & Mary Chain, psychedelic. Howl is good, it's mostly acoustic.

Another awesome related band, turn-of-the-century psychdelic rock rival, is the Black Angels. See Passover.

And the band that all the above—and the entire shoegaze/noise/space rock/psychdelic revival genres—owe basically everything to, the most underrated in history: Spacemen 3.

From our talk about our shoegaze friends the other day, one of mine only has one tattoo and it’s the spacemen 3 logo huge on his wrist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad