OT: Watcha Listening To? - Part II

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have recently gotten back into the Interrupters (I love Aimee Allen), and also the Tsunami Bombs. One older, one newer.

I've also been listening to Ted Leo lately. Having come of age with the NY and DC punk scene, Ted is a must. He's up there with Ian MacKaye in terms of impact on my adolescence, and ultimately my worldview as an adult.

I remember later in my teenage years (I may have even been 21, it was Black Cat and I was drinking) I saw Bouncing Souls open for Goldfinger and then Rancid. It was still one of the greatest things I've seen. IIRC Goldfinger wasn't even advertised as the show (some rap-rock group was the real opener) but they were close and hooked up with Rancid for the show. Two of my all-time favorites. Skinhead Rob was there and climbed out on a pipe in the ceiling until he was like 20 feet over the crowd. It broke and he dropped. LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I have recently gotten back into the Interrupters (I love Aimee Allen), and also the Tsunami Bombs. One older, one newer.

I've also been listening to Ted Leo lately. Having come of age with the NY and DC punk scene, Ted is a must. He's up there with Ian MacKaye in terms of impact on my adolescence, and ultimately my worldview as an adult.

I remember later in my teenage years (I may have even been 21, it was Black Cat and I was drinking) I saw Bouncing Souls open for Goldfinger and then Rancid. It was still one of the greatest things I've seen. IIRC Goldfinger wasn't even advertised as the show (some rap-rock group was the real opener) but they were close and hooked up with Rancid for the show. Two of my all-time favorites. Skinhead Rob was there and climbed out on a pipe in the ceiling until he was like 20 feet over the crowd. It broke and he dropped. LOL.

I got the Wipers first LP and I'm pretty damn sure that's on it.

Ugh, thanks EB... I still have to seek out those The Fall 45's and now you've got more on my record seeking list!

Actually saw one of those more obscure Fall 45's at A1 last week. The title escapes me, as I look at way too many records weekly.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The reason I got back into Tsunami Bomb after all these years, and also into the Interrupters, was because in the car my 4-year-old daughter said she didn't like my music because it was "boy music" which I think means bands with a male frontman. So I picked out some of my old faves to show her women could be punk, too! I also bought her a pair of checkerboard vans. They're sick.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ugh, thanks EB... I still have to seek out those The Fall 45's and now you've got more on my record seeking list!

Actually saw one of those more obscure Fall 45's at A1 last week. The title escapes me, as I look at way too many records weekly.

Well...consider I'm about to turn 62 and this was what was going on when I was in my early 20's even if it wasn't as popular as the Rolling Stones and Journey. I just happened to be around then and it was the stuff I liked. Though there were several others I'd go to Bleecker Bob's was like my favorite record store of all time. The variety of new music that went through that shop was pretty astounding.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Well...consider I'm about to turn 62 and this was what was going on when I was in my early 20's even if it wasn't as popular as the Rolling Stones and Journey. I just happened to be around then and it was the stuff I liked. Though there were several others I'd go to Bleecker Bob's was like my favorite record store of all time. The variety of new music that went through that shop was pretty astounding.

Ya man! Amazing! You and @nyr2k2 have FANTASTIC stories. I always appreciate the older cats speaking on the times that I WISH I had been around for. You're a couple of lucky dudes.

I'm 33, so it hasn't been an easy road for me to get to this, as NO ONE I grew up with had good music taste. The world of records, obsessing over them in my teen years; more deep fascination with the love that went into LPs and 45s and how no form of music could ever rival that (aside like R2R). That's what led me to good music. Even discovering bleecker Bobs in 2000, when I'd run off to the city as a child and Chris & Chris would always help me out, they watched me grow up there and that was really just cool. Since they've closed my musical taste is all over the map. Growing constantly.

You two should post in here much, much more!!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ya man! Amazing! You and @nyr2k2 have FANTASTIC stories. I always appreciate the older cats speaking on the times that I WISH I had been around for. You're a couple of lucky dudes.

I'm 33, so it hasn't been an easy road for me to get to this, as NO ONE I grew up with had good music taste. The world of records, obsessing over them in my teen years; more deep fascination with the love that went into LPs and 45s and how no form of music could ever rival that (aside like R2R). That's what led me to good music. Even discovering bleecker Bobs in 2000, when I'd run off to the city as a child and Chris & Chris would always help me out, they watched me grow up there and that was really just cool. Since they've closed my musical taste is all over the map. Growing constantly.

Honestly I had the thread on ignore. Not because I want interested, there was just a period where we had like 20 OT threads on the front page and I was like f*** this! Glad the new iteration popped back up, though.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Honestly I had the thread on ignore. Not because I want interested, there was just a period where we had like 20 OT threads on the front page and I was like **** this! Glad the new iteration popped back up, though.

Hahaha. Yeah, @eco's bones has posted the aforementioned mind blowing 'The Fall' info and we touched on 'Gang of Four' in that previous thread, as well as Bleecker Bobs lol.

I really think y'all should post more of that deeper LP/45 knowledge!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Every generation has its pluses though. The thing with music is people are always innovating. For me I've always tended towards things that were below the surface of mass popularity but once in a while that music rises from underneath anyway and for me a lot of it was about searching for something different....and the searching can be a lot of fun. Anyone can still do that. I always looked at early rap as pretty much like early punk--it was people using whatever skills or equipment they had at hand to create something of their own.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This talk of LPs and 45s is really making me want to buy a pre-amp for this Beogram RX2 I have collecting dust...

Maybe if someone knows a reliable brand or solid model for that sort of thing. Something cheap that sounds decent.

Definitely grab Bingo Master’s Break-Out! if you see it.
The Fall - Bingo-Master's Break-Out!

If you’re not having luck finding the 45s, a few years ago, some lunatic took it upon himself to assemble a box set containing every Fall single and B-side:

Singles 1978-2016

The Fall - Singles 1978 - 2016

Other good ones:

Early Fall 77-79

The Fall - 77 - Early Years - 79

50,000 Fall Fans Can’t Be Wrong - 39 Golden Greats
The Fall - 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong - 39 Golden Greats

The Complete Peel Sessions 1978-2004
The Fall - The Complete Peel Sessions 1978 - 2004

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This talk of LPs and 45s is really making me want to buy a pre-amp for this Beogram RX2 I have collecting dust...

Maybe if someone knows a reliable brand or solid model for that sort of thing. Something cheap that sounds decent.

Definitely grab Bingo Master’s Break-Out! if you see it.
The Fall - Bingo-Master's Break-Out!

If you’re not having luck finding the 45s, a few years ago, some lunatic took it upon himself to assemble a box set containing every Fall single and B-side:

Singles 1978-2016

The Fall - Singles 1978 - 2016

Other good ones:

Early Fall 77-79

The Fall - 77 - Early Years - 79

50,000 Fall Fans Can’t Be Wrong - 39 Golden Greats
The Fall - 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong - 39 Golden Greats

The Complete Peel Sessions 1978-2004
The Fall - The Complete Peel Sessions 1978 - 2004

The early albums Live at the Witchtrials, Grotesque and Hex Enduction are all great IMO.

Witchtrials is the band as it was originally and before Mark E. Smith became de-facto dictator. After that record he became boss of everything. This band was him and his friends including girlfriends and for the most part they weren't going to take shit from him all grown up together. I like Martin Bramah's guitar particularly--it's got weird psychedlic tones. Frightened, Two steps back, Rebellious Jukebox and Underground Medicine are my favorites off of this.

For Grotesque--New Face in Hell, Container Drivers, Impression of J. Temperance and The N.W.R.A.

Hex Enduction Hour was recorded in Iceland--almost all the songs stand out but the one I particularly like was Iceland which the band put together in one moment of inspiration in the studio.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The early albums Live at the Witchtrials, Grotesque and Hex Enduction are all great IMO.

Witchtrials is the band as it was originally and before Mark E. Smith became de-facto dictator. After that record he became boss of everything. This band was him and his friends including girlfriends and for the most part they weren't going to take **** from him all grown up together. I like Martin Bramah's guitar particularly--it's got weird psychedlic tones. Frightened, Two steps back, Rebellious Jukebox and Underground Medicine are my favorites off of this.

For Grotesque--New Face in Hell, Container Drivers, Impression of J. Temperance and The N.W.R.A.

Hex Enduction Hour was recorded in Iceland--almost all the songs stand out but the one I particularly like was Iceland which the band put together in one moment of inspiration in the studio.
Witch Trials has really grown on me grown on me ever since I got a decent sounding version of it. There’s so much material I haven’t gone through, listening to Extricate and The Frenz Experiment now. I think The Infotainment Scan is decent.

Hex Enduction Hour is gradually making its way into my all-time favorite albums. The spontaneity of it should be a mess but everything aligns perfectly. The title, cover, location, too. It reminds me of Matisse in a way, his still lifes, the errors becoming the subject matter, chaos tied together. Something like that can never be recreated. The fury of the tracks.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Witch Trials has really grown on me grown on me ever since I got a decent sounding version of it. There’s so much material I haven’t gone through, listening to Extricate and The Frenz Experiment now. I think The Infotainment Scan is decent.

Hex Enduction Hour is gradually making its way into my all-time favorite albums. The spontaneity of it should be a mess but everything aligns perfectly. The title, cover, location, too. It reminds me of Matisse in a way, his still lifes, the errors becoming the subject matter, chaos tied together. Something like that can never be recreated. The fury of the tracks.

There is a lot of the Fall I've never even heard. It's just too much stuff in a way. It's almost as if you'd have to drop everyone else just to follow them. A lot of it takes time to decipher your way through and some continue to resist anyway. There are gems all over. Elves, Free Range, New Prince, Blindness, Telephone thing, Spectre vs. Rector, In my area, Fiery Jack, Rowche Rumble, Look know, Bremen nacht, Totally wired, Carey Grant's wedding.

Witchtrials was late 70's and Smith's voice at first for someone use to listening to people singing rock songs (even speaking of Joe Strummer or Joey Ramone) is really jarring. It's about as anti-commercial as it gets and he didn't care and he never really did and managed to last almost 40 years which is remarkable--there was always this sense about him that 'I do what I do and you can like it or lump it'.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
There is a lot of the Fall I've never even heard. It's just too much stuff in a way. It's almost as if you'd have to drop everyone else just to follow them. A lot of it takes time to decipher your way through and some continue to resist anyway. There are gems all over. Elves, Free Range, New Prince, Blindness, Telephone thing, Spectre vs. Rector, In my area, Fiery Jack, Rowche Rumble, Look know, Bremen nacht, Totally wired, Carey Grant's wedding.

Witchtrials was late 70's and Smith's voice at first for someone use to listening to people singing rock songs (even speaking of Joe Strummer or Joey Ramone) is really jarring. It's about as anti-commercial as it gets and he didn't care and he never really did and managed to last almost 40 years which is remarkable--there was always this sense about him that 'I do what I do and you can like it or lump it'.
Case in point: their live albums. This guy ranked 39 of them. :laugh:
The Fall live albums: A guide.

I don't even know where the official releases end and the unofficial begin. No one probably knows at this point lol. And then there's the fricken awesome Peel Sessions, just shy of 100 tracks.

Some of my favorite less-obvious ones: "Feeling Numb", "Paintwork", "And This Day", "Slang King", "Jawbone and the Air Rifle", "Lay of the Land", "Ladybird", "Hotel Bloedel".

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Case in point: their live albums. This guy ranked 39 of them. :laugh:
The Fall live albums: A guide.

I don't even know where the official releases end and the unofficial begin. No one probably knows at this point lol. And then there's the fricken awesome Peel Sessions, just shy of 100 tracks.

Some of my favorite less-obvious ones: "Feeling Numb", "Paintwork", "And This Day", "Slang King", "Jawbone and the Air Rifle", "Lay of the Land", "Ladybird", "Hotel Bloedel".

I have three of the live albums on his list--two in vinyl Totale's turn and A part of America therein. Cary Grant's wedding mentioned above is one of the tracks on Totale's turn. I'm not sure it's anywhere else. The other is Seminal live. I have two bootleg cassette tapes bought at separate times that one of the counter guys sold me at Bleecker Bob's in the early part of the eighties. One is Peel Session material. He sold me another cassette tape made by Peel of the Ruts. I still have them but I'm not sure they still play. Yeah Jawbone is great.

I also had the 45 of Totally wired--b side was Putablock or something like that. I'm not sure what happened to it. It was a favorite. I got a sick feeling in my stomach when it came up missing and --I'd have rather lost a $50 bill in the street. I've searched high and low and on more than one occasion. I found one copy on Amoeba once but they wanted like $100 for it. Really trying to get all this stuff--studio lp's, live lp's, 45's, bootlegs, CD collections would cost a fortune and you could chase it around forever.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I might prefer this to their first album:

I have three of the live albums on his list--two in vinyl Totale's turn and A part of America therein. Cary Grant's wedding mentioned above is one of the tracks on Totale's turn. I'm not sure it's anywhere else. The other is Seminal live. I have two bootleg cassette tapes bought at separate times that one of the counter guys sold me at Bleecker Bob's in the early part of the eighties. One is Peel Session material. He sold me another cassette tape made by Peel of the Ruts. I still have them but I'm not sure they still play. Yeah Jawbone is great.

I also had the 45 of Totally wired--b side was Putablock or something like that. I'm not sure what happened to it. It was a favorite. I got a sick feeling in my stomach when it came up missing and --I'd have rather lost a $50 bill in the street. I've searched high and low and on more than one occasion. I found one copy on Amoeba once but they wanted like $100 for it. Really trying to get all this stuff--studio lp's, live lp's, 45's, bootlegs, CD collections would cost a fortune and you could chase it around forever.
Discogs has them at 221 releases, of which their hundreds of online bootlegs aren't included. :laugh:

That sucks about the 45, I'd be gutted. My only remotely valuable record (besides this first-US-pressing of Arthur signed by the Kinks, which I have no idea how to value) is a Screeching Weasel LP from 1992. While driving home from a wedding a few weeks ago, my brother informed me that he had recently taken it over to a friends house for a few plays. I wanted to strangle him. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad