OT: Watcha Listening To? - Part II

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Dylan is someone you appreciate over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine; when you can relax and focus on the lyrics and contemplate the world around you.

He's not a guy you listen to when you want an inspirational walk to work, or are in the mood for a powerful song that you crank throughout your house while looking to blow off steam or clean.

Now doing a complete 180 from that topic, I've been revisiting Motorcycle and Jes. "As the Rush Comes" came up on my phone the other day, and it kicked off a revisit.
idk man Idiot Wind gets me pretty fired up :laugh:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I know how that's how it's supposed to be, and in very rare instances it works that way for me – but for the most part I just find it grating. (Feel the same way about Bruce, BTW.) Just one man's opinion of course. :dunno:

Like I said upthread, it's hard to find Dylan's voice grating if I find Tom Waits circa Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones appealing.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Dylan’s work has an understated anger. LaRS, Baby Blue and Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright all have an underlying anger, but, it’s not bang your head against the wall anger.

I know people get caught up in the voice of a generation thing with Dylan, but what I take from him is examination of personal relationships, similar to why I think Court and Spark and not Blue is Joni Mitchell’s best album. Sweetheart Like You is one of my favorite Dylan songs, as well as Tangled Up in Blue.

Oh yeah his music is angry, just not the type of anger you usually lift weights to.

Some of my favorite "angry Bob" songs are actually pretty cheerful. Positively 4th Street. 4th time Around.

Reactions: Rongomania

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Never was a huge Slayer fan before (if we're talking Big 4 it's Metallica every time for me), but I'm seeing them & Primus, plus a couple others at MSG on 11/9 (so tomorrow night basically) at MSG for Slayer's last tour. So I've been listening to them a fair bit for the last week or two

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Dylan is someone you appreciate over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine; when you can relax and focus on the lyrics and contemplate the world around you.

He's not a guy you listen to when you want an inspirational walk to work, or are in the mood for a powerful song that you crank throughout your house while looking to blow off steam or clean.

Now doing a complete 180 from that topic, I've been revisiting Motorcycle and Jes. "As the Rush Comes" came up on my phone the other day, and it kicked off a revisit.

I understand what you're saying but I think it's a bit overstated. Plenty of Dylan material that can get you going. Hurricane is a fave song of mine:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I need to explore more Suede after Dogmanstar.
So do I. Great early B-Sides though. I heard their album from 2016 Night Thoughts is really good. I’d like to see a new remaster of Suede; I love that album but the production is kind of crappy, and the 2011 remaster was not an improvement.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
@GeorgeKaplan some new shoegaze. Saw these guys w/ Deafheaven last year.

I’ve been trying to remember if that was the show I was going to go to or if it was deadheaven or deafheavens or whatever the other one is for the past few hours and I’m still kind of confused by which band I’m thinking of, it’s whichever one the guy Walter from quicksand/gorilla biscuits is in now and I remember my boss telling me they were playing somewhere and I was going to go straight from work but ended up just not going

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad