OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

If this song gets you going even a little bit, I urge you to give some of their other stuff a try. They make some amazing shit that you'll want to put on repeat for days at a time.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Man oh man. The new Black Keys album kicks all of the ass. Very pleased by this after disliking their 2015 album "Turn Blue."

Black Keys are great to see live, mainly in a romanticized venue. If they play in a concert style venue, their music gets lost and their performance seems antiquated to "mainstream blues", which isn't my style. While in NYC, they played at an underground bar which held approximately 40-50 people and did a jam band session. That's what really got me into their music. However, I am one of those people who will say White Stripes > Black Keys and the Black Keys copy their rhythm and music.
Jack White/White Stripes are the better jam band, but like the Black Keys they don't put on a good concert style show. Both are great to go watch if you plan on drinking and dancing. Same with Ed Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes. I've said it before, but Ed Shapre or Modest Mouse has to be my favorite live performances. They're interactive and fun.

By the way, if you haven't checked out Auerbach's solo (This is his side band- similar to The Raconteurs for Jack White) stuff in the brief hiatus of the Black Keys, I suggest you check this song out:

I'm assuming that you have heard it before, but it's a different style from what the Black Keys have always done and I really like this.

EDIT: If you're a fan of the shins and the mid 2000's alternative music:

This band is James Mercer (lead singer of the shins) and Danger Mouse (a producer who formed some big named bands and produced a lot of hip hop albums).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Black Keys are great to see live, mainly in a romanticized venue. If they play in a concert style venue, their music gets lost and their performance seems antiquated to "mainstream blues", which isn't my style. While in NYC, they played at an underground bar which held approximately 40-50 people and did a jam band session. That's what really got me into their music. However, I am one of those people who will say White Stripes > Black Keys and the Black Keys copy their rhythm and music.
Jack White/White Stripes are the better jam band, but like the Black Keys they don't put on a good concert style show. Both are great to go watch if you plan on drinking and dancing. Same with Ed Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes. I've said it before, but Ed Shapre or Modest Mouse has to be my favorite live performances. They're interactive and fun.

By the way, if you haven't checked out Auerbach's solo (This is his side band- similar to The Raconteurs for Jack White) stuff in the brief hiatus of the Black Keys, I suggest you check this song out:

I'm assuming that you have heard it before, but it's a different style from what the Black Keys have always done and I really like this.

EDIT: If you're a fan of the shins and the mid 2000's alternative music:

This band is James Mercer (lead singer of the shins) and Danger Mouse (a producer who formed some big named bands and produced a lot of hip hop albums).

Familiar with all of this but I appreciate it!

Big fan of The Shins (though their last album was a bit dissapointing). Saw them in concert in 2012 at Tower Theater and they were fantastic.

Reactions: CapnZin

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Familiar with all of this but I appreciate it!

Big fan of The Shins (though their last album was a bit dissapointing). Saw them in concert in 2012 at Tower Theater and they were fantastic.
If you're a fan of Modest Mouse or Ed Sharpe (I don't know your location), but try to look up some of their tour dates and see if they're near your area. They ALWAYS throw random free concerts. Ed Sharpe while touring through Oklahoma saw a nice farm house/barn and asked the owner if they could play for them in their barn, lol. They have some videos on YouTube I'm pretty sure. Modest Mouse is harder to find for this, but they usually centralize near bigger crowds or cities to do a random show. I highly recommend trying to catch one if you like those bands.

Sadly, Ed Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes broke up, but Alex Ebert still does his own stuff.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If you're a fan of Modest Mouse or Ed Sharpe (I don't know your location), but try to look up some of their tour dates and see if they're near your area. They ALWAYS throw random free concerts. Ed Sharpe while touring through Oklahoma saw a nice farm house/barn and asked the owner if they could play for them in their barn, lol. They have some videos on YouTube I'm pretty sure. Modest Mouse is harder to find for this, but they usually centralize near bigger crowds or cities to do a random show. I highly recommend trying to catch one if you like those bands.

Sadly, Ed Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes broke up, but Alex Ebert still does his own stuff.

I am indeed a fan of both. I always wanted to see Edward Sharpe. Just missed them in 2012.

Reactions: CapnZin

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I am indeed a fan of both. I always wanted to see Edward Sharpe. Just missed them in 2012.
I am upset I was never able to see the Beatles, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Queen (in their prime), John Sebastian/Lovin’ Spoonful, and many many more live.

If I hadn’t seen Ed Sharpe live, I would have been so disappointed. Really underrated band.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I see

I don't really give a **** what melon thinks, tbh. Clearly we have different tastes
Lol. I don’t always agree with him but his opinion is really close to mines sometimes. Never was a fan of Chance, but I usually give everything a shot, so I’ll check it out soon.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Lol. I don’t always agree with him but his opinion is really close to mines sometimes. Never was a fan of Chance, but I usually give everything a shot, so I’ll check it out soon.
You know how hip hop is now...the album's have like 20 songs on them. Was never a fan of the quantity over quality route but that's not changing anytime soon

No song is bad enough to be skipped. 4 songs imo are worthy of repeats. I give it a solid if not unspectacular 7/10

Shakey Graves

Jun 10, 2019
South Jersey
I've really been digging some Shakey Graves lately (pretty obvious by the account name ha-ha). I highly suggest checking him out.

Little background on him, he is a Indie artist from Austin who's music can be called Indie, Americana, Folk or sometimes even Blues/Country. He is very talented and in the early stages of Shakey Graves he used to play guitar, sing, drums and cymbals all at the same time with a suitcase drum set he developed. I'm not sure how he has not blown up yet. In fact, in 2012 the mayor of Austin dedicated February 9th as Shakey Graves Day.

The first one is more folk/indie and the other one has more of a rock/alt vibe to it. The second is with his all time favorite band, The Roots, which is an interesting mix of musicians and talent coming together for a badass song. One of the interesting things about Shakey is that all of his live shows are different. He puts a different twist on songs so they never really sound the same or tend to get boring quick and pulls it off well mind you.

Last edited:

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
You know how hip hop is now...the album's have like 20 songs on them. Was never a fan of the quantity over quality route but that's not changing anytime soon

No song is bad enough to be skipped. 4 songs imo are worthy of repeats. I give it a solid if not unspectacular 7/10
Neither was I. Not sure I’ve ever listened to an album where I haven’t skipped a song though.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

Introduced to this song when I was in Slovakia for the World's by the Italian girl who accompanied me there... have listened to it way too much since!

The French music industry in general produces so, so much talent, but not so much of it gets outside of France due to most bands singing French and I guess English speakers not generally listening to non-English sang music.

The internet rabbit hole and his movie work introduced me to Matthieu Chedid ( or -M-) who probably could've tore up the States if he sang in English. Oddly enough he then introduced me to some of Sean Lennon's work and now I'm extra happy Sean has teamed up with Les Claypool.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I've really been digging some Shakey Graves lately (pretty obvious by the account name ha-ha). I highly suggest checking him out.

Little background on him, he is a Indie artist from Austin who's music can be called Indie, Americana, Folk or sometimes even Blues/Country. He is very talented and in the early stages of Shakey Graves he used to play guitar, sing, drums and cymbals all at the same time with a suitcase drum set he developed. I'm not sure how he has not blown up yet. In fact, in 2012 the mayor of Austin dedicated February 9th as Shakey Graves Day.

The first one is more folk/indie and the other one has more of a rock/alt vibe to it. The second is with his all time favorite band, The Roots, which is an interesting mix of musicians and talent coming together for a badass song. One of the interesting things about Shakey is that all of his live shows are different. He puts a different twist on songs so they never really sound the same or tend to get boring quick and pulls it off well mind you.

I couldn't tell by your Username that you're a fan :laugh:

I'll check him out though :thumbu:

Reactions: Shakey Graves

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Once Upon A Time in Hollywood soundtrack is phenomenal if you like late 60's rock. So many gems. Some of which I wasn't familiar with.

Standouts..

The Bob Seger System - Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
Deep Purple - Hush
Paul Revere & The Raiders - Good Thing
Mitch Ryder - Jenny Take A Ride
Los Bravos - Bring A Little Lovin'
Neil Diamond - Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show
Jose Feliciano - California Dreamin'
Vanilla Fudge - Keep Me Hangin' On

They are all dripping with that trademark Tarantino coolness.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
A week out from New Slipknot album..can't wait...then Tool end of the month and Opeth in October/ November I believe

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The Once Upon A Time in Hollywood soundtrack is phenomenal if you like late 60's rock. So many gems. Some of which I wasn't familiar with.

Standouts..

The Bob Seger System - Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
Deep Purple - Hush
Paul Revere & The Raiders - Good Thing
Mitch Ryder - Jenny Take A Ride
Los Bravos - Bring A Little Lovin'
Neil Diamond - Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show
Jose Feliciano - California Dreamin'
Vanilla Fudge - Keep Me Hangin' On

They are all dripping with that trademark Tarantino coolness.

That Deep Purple song "Hush" was covered by Kulashaker in the mid 90s and the cover is way better than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad