OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I am going to try and catch them when they next come to Europe...

And I know the feeling. Of the people who are good friends who are punk fans etc: My brother and ~4-5 friends from school live in a different country... and while the girl I have been seeing on and off for a while is a big fan too she is not often in the same place as I am at the same time, as both travel a decent amount... and technically she lives in a different country now too!

You should see the Danish band Jo and the Mofos. Johanne, she is the drummer, is ~14 years old now. She won the Danish version "Whose got Talent" a few years back playing a few Danish bands like Disney After Dark [ D-A-D]. She has played in a few nightclubs in Copenhagen.

johanne astrid.jpg

johanne-astrid-poulson.jpg

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014

Had heard good things about this game for years, but specifically that the soundtrack for it was really f***ing good. Finally got around to playing it and... yep. Definitely lived up the hype.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What i've been listening to lately..

Adam & The Ants - Greatest Hits
Of Monsters & Men new album Alligator
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood soundtrack
The Black Keys new album Let's Rock
Trevor Something new EP

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Been listening to a lot of Kyuss and everything John Garcia for a bit.

Fu Manchu is amazing. Saw them at The Note in West Chester back in June 2013 and they were so loud it was the final nail in the coffin for that place. I wish Bam Margera the best but he is one of the biggest douchebags I have ever encountered.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
WXPN has been playing a 50th anniversary box set of Woodstock, as it took place 50 years ago this weekend. (from this past Thursday when I should've mentioned it, to tomorrow morning). It plays just like a time capsule, and unfathomable that an event of this magnitude and legend took place. They have almost every last second of the audio, which just seems impossible. Including announcements between sets (people needing meds, looking for people, warnings about bad acid being passed around, the first 10 minutes of a 3-hour thunderstorm, etc.). The overall lineup was better from last night into this morning. CCR's set wasn't even close to being as bad as John Fogarty made people believe for 30+years. Same with the Who. Literally once-in-a-life time stuff if you saw the Who at 5am or Jefferson Airplane at 8am.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
WXPN has been playing a 50th anniversary box set of Woodstock, as it took place 50 years ago this weekend. (from this past Thursday when I should've mentioned it, to tomorrow morning). It plays just like a time capsule, and unfathomable that an event of this magnitude and legend took place. They have almost every last second of the audio, which just seems impossible. Including announcements between sets (people needing meds, looking for people, warnings about bad acid being passed around, the first 10 minutes of a 3-hour thunderstorm, etc.). The overall lineup was better from last night into this morning. CCR's set wasn't even close to being as bad as John Fogarty made people believe for 30+years. Same with the Who. Literally once-in-a-life time stuff if you saw the Who at 5am or Jefferson Airplane at 8am.

Check out the Woodstock documentary on Netflix. Its great stuff!

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I've really been digging some Shakey Graves lately (pretty obvious by the account name ha-ha). I highly suggest checking him out.

Little background on him, he is a Indie artist from Austin who's music can be called Indie, Americana, Folk or sometimes even Blues/Country. He is very talented and in the early stages of Shakey Graves he used to play guitar, sing, drums and cymbals all at the same time with a suitcase drum set he developed. I'm not sure how he has not blown up yet. In fact, in 2012 the mayor of Austin dedicated February 9th as Shakey Graves Day.

The first one is more folk/indie and the other one has more of a rock/alt vibe to it. The second is with his all time favorite band, The Roots, which is an interesting mix of musicians and talent coming together for a badass song. One of the interesting things about Shakey is that all of his live shows are different. He puts a different twist on songs so they never really sound the same or tend to get boring quick and pulls it off well mind you.

Your stuff is really good (I’m assuming it’s actually you, but that’s also sarcasm).

I like Late July. I remember in high school (6 years ago) on YouTube that song randomly popped up and I listened to it a bunch.

The Once Upon A Time in Hollywood soundtrack is phenomenal if you like late 60's rock. So many gems. Some of which I wasn't familiar with.

Standouts..

The Bob Seger System - Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
Deep Purple - Hush
Paul Revere & The Raiders - Good Thing
Mitch Ryder - Jenny Take A Ride
Los Bravos - Bring A Little Lovin'
Neil Diamond - Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show
Jose Feliciano - California Dreamin'
Vanilla Fudge - Keep Me Hangin' On

They are all dripping with that trademark Tarantino coolness.
f***ing fantastic movie.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Just figuring out now that Sebadoh's 2013 comeback Defend Yourself is actually a pretty damned good record. I guess I'll catch on to this year's Act Surprised sometime in 2 or 3 years. I also don't know if anything else quite like Lou Barlow's 20+ year song cycle documenting the entirety of his relationship to his now ex-wife from beginning infatuation to liberating separation exists in popular culture.

Reactions: Lotusflower

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
So, i listened to a leak of the new Tool album this morning. For obvious reasons, i can't share anything off of it, but i can tell you that it was awesome. Hard to say that it was "worth the wait" since it still hasn't set in yet that we are currently in a timeline where a new Tool album exists, but i had the biggest smile on my face while it was playing.

In the meantime, here's a pretty good quality live recording of what might be the best track on the album:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

Had heard good things about this game for years, but specifically that the soundtrack for it was really ****ing good. Finally got around to playing it and... yep. Definitely lived up the hype.

Here is another good one for you:

Also, for the leaked Tool album, I will wait till the full release to hear anything else.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
So, i listened to a leak of the new Tool album this morning. For obvious reasons, i can't share anything off of it, but i can tell you that it was awesome. Hard to say that it was "worth the wait" since it still hasn't set in yet that we are currently in a timeline where a new Tool album exists, but i had the biggest smile on my face while it was playing.

In the meantime, here's a pretty good quality live recording of what might be the best track on the album:

That's the next one I am waiting on...so far I have enjoyed Slipknot..now to wait for Tool and Opeth

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Been listening to a lot of Kyuss and everything John Garcia for a bit.

Fu Manchu is amazing. Saw them at The Note in West Chester back in June 2013 and they were so loud it was the final nail in the coffin for that place. I wish Bam Margera the best but he is one of the biggest *****ebags I have ever encountered.
All of Fu Manchu's stuff is great. They have great album covers as well.

Currently in the rotation:
-Ras G (RIP)- Whole discography really but Ive been stuck on Stargate Music
-Freddie Gibbs/Madlib-Bandana
-Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats-Blood Lust
-Main Attrakionz-808s and Dark Grapes II
-Sly and the Family Stone-There's a Riot Goin On
-Slipknot-Selftitled
-Lonnie Liston Smith-Rejuvenation and Silhouettes
-Fear Factory-Demanufacture
-Iman Omari-Vibe Tape Vol.3
-Drakeo the Ruler-Cold Devil and So Cold I Do Em
-H.R.-Soul Power (singer from Bad Brains)
-Thou-Summit
-Swans-Filth + Cop
-Godflesh-Streetcleaner
-Prince-Sign O the Times (always in the rotation tbh)
-Atheist-Piece of Time
-Binary Star-Masters of the Universe
-Boris-Akuma No Uta (also always in the rotation)
-Eyehategod-Take As Needed For Pain
-Hellchild-Circulating Contradiction
-Thelonious Monk-Alone in San Francisco
-Jejune-This Afternoon's Malady
-Saetia-Discography
-Antioch Arrow-Gems of Masochism
-pg.99-Document #5
-Shelter-Attaining the Supreme
=Retch-Richer Than the Opps
-Towers-Full Circle
-Electric Wizard-Supercoven + Witchcult Today
-Orchid-Gatefold
-Planes Mistaken For Stars-Whole discography
-Circle Takes the Square-As the Roots Undo
-Wire-Pink Flag
-Nation of Ulysses-13 Point Program to Blow Up America

....I also just came to understand the Ramones after 15+ years of hating them to death and being at odds with the rest of my punk obsession.

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007

ooh, it's leaked already? will have to give it a listen.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Fear Inoculum is a masterpiece. Definitely worth the wait.
Now I'm spoiled again and can't listen to any other bands for a couple weeks.

Descending and Pneuma are probably my favorite tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->