OT: Watcha Drinkin'?: Part I

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Belgian (or Belgian-style) beer, Islay scotch, or some of the Japanese scotches. That's my mainstay.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I like this post. Agreed with almost every word except for the G&T because I’m just a whiskey guy. But the overall outlook.

/snip/

Came home and got into the barrel proof bourbon and started watching some McDonagh highlights, which led me to some older highlights of Dubi, Cally, Gaborik... even Prucha, Kotalik, Drury.

What's your poison? I've enjoyed some barrel proof/cask strength. I tend to lean towards rye for those, I've found.

What's sad is Quebec has really caught on to the gin hype (which I do enjoy!) but has continued to be very underwhelming with whiskey availability. Thankfully the LCBO in Ontario is better, but the closest decent outlets are 2 hours from me. I can be in Plattsburgh or Burlington VT quicker, but without having stayed for 48 hours it's a risk. Duties are based on price, alcohol content, country of origin (NAFTA...) and quantity. I have a good friend who's a CBSA agent (Canada's CBP) and asked him to calculate what it'd be for me to bring home a bottle of Ardbeg 10 on quick turnaround afternoon in Plattsburgh. $50 USD bottle. Costs $95 here. Turns out it'd be like $120 CAD to bring it with me if I didn't have the 48 hour bottle exemption.

Beers aren't nearly as bad. Fun thing is I'm always 100% honest. the last thing you want is a red flag. Went to Burlington one time with my gf, just for an evening. Literally left home at 3pm and were back by 11. We brought back 96 beers. Cans of both sizes commonly sold. CBSA agent ask us where we were, "Burlington", why? "shopping, dinner, festival", how long were you gone? "around 6 hours", bringing back any alcohol? "yeah, beer". How much in liters? "I can tally it up but I don't know off-hand" and I'm kind of laughing. She goes, "well, how many?" I say 96. Her face just went into a quick kind of shock, eyes open wide. She laughed and and said "have a good night".

I was supposed to pay duties/taxes on ALL of that. At least $60-$70. And I was prepared. Honesty pays! My random story for the thread =P

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I like ryes a lot. Best rye I’ve had is Pikesville Rye which is under Heaven Hills distillery I believe. It clocks in at 55% so not quite as potent as the barrel proofs but the flavor can not be beat. Just a superb rye whiskey.

As far as the barrel proofs go I actually like Bulleit’s barrel proof quite a bit despite being unimpressed with their regular offerings. I don’t think bulleit is bad but it doesn’t do anything special for me. Their barrel strength is a different story. Otherwise Elijah Craig barrel proof, when you can find it, is delicious. Really taste the oak. Jack Daniel’s barrel proof rye is good as well. It’s sweeter than the others, kinda like the unaged rye they offer, but it’s still good.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Work done for the day. Having an Ebisu Hanamiyabi. It’s not so good. But I could see some people loving it. It’s kind of a sweet white beer.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm finishing my 4th "Ice Pick" which for those of y'all who don't know what the heck it is is vodka(Tito's for me) and unsweetened ice tea.

Very refreshing while at the same time as low in calories as possible and it looks like a "man's drink" when your out with the fellas or with your woman...:nod:

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Got my hands on a cantillion Lou Pepe, it was fantastic. If you like lambics and you can find it, it’s worth the money.

Also picked up a bottle of old forester 1920 on a friend’s recommendation. Solid bourbon in a decent price range.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Tried New Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA at the bar the other night. Thought it was pretty decent

I legitimately thought this was a Kevin Hayes joke....and thought 'oh, you smoked a blunt'...

E: and I realize this was from like a half ayear ago

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
My fav..

peroni-nastro-azzurro-premium-lager-330ml-glass_temp.jpg

Reactions: Ori

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Session IPAs. Get that nice hoppy taste but the beers are 4-5% abv and like 140 calories instead of 7+% and 200 Cals with regular IPA.

My go to is Founders All Day IPA.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Session IPAs. Get that nice hoppy taste but the beers are 4-5% abv and like 140 calories instead of 7+% and 200 Cals with regular IPA.

Not sure if you've ever tried it or not but if you're into hoppy, you should try Blue Point Hoptical Illusion.
Good stuff ;)

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Not sure if you've ever tried it or not but if you're into hoppy, you should try Blue Point Hoptical Illusion.
Good stuff ;)
Yeah, that’s a good one too. I actually live close to the Blue Point Brewery so I’m always going there and trying their limited release stuff.

Right now I have their Mosaic session IPA with cucumber. It’s actually refreshing.

Reactions: NYR

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Yes, one of my favorites too - I really recommend the Italian beer. :)

I have a dedicated shelf in my fridge just for my Peroni.
I love it.
It's not too heavy and great for summer ;)

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009

Not sure you'll have this around where you live, but I highly recommend Hobo Life.

url

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Full on craft-beer nerd, particularly with imperial stouts (both barrel aged and not). Anyone who loves the style - hit me up, I'll give plenty of suggestion (as in - KBS and Big Bad Baptist are "too mainstream" and "meh" for me :sarcasm:. I can probably list 50 stouts off the top of my head that are tastier, boozier, sweeter, and more worth your while). That being said, I love most styles (IPAs, sours, gose, farmhouse/saison/lambic, abbey ales, etc.) so long as they are interesting and unique. I'll almost never drink an "amber ale" or a "red ale".

My wife has made me a decent wine drinker, but I don't know jack shit.

Huge scotch person and whiskey person in general. Otherwise, I love almost all spirits, but don't know much about them.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Full on craft-beer nerd, particularly with imperial stouts (both barrel aged and not). Anyone who loves the style - hit me up, I'll give plenty of suggestion (as in - KBS and Big Bad Baptist are "too mainstream" and "meh" for me :sarcasm:. I can probably list 50 stouts off the top of my head that are tastier, boozier, sweeter, and more worth your while). That being said, I love most styles (IPAs, sours, gose, farmhouse/saison/lambic, abbey ales, etc.) so long as they are interesting and unique. I'll almost never drink an "amber ale" or a "red ale".

My wife has made me a decent wine drinker, but I don't know jack ****.

Huge scotch person and whiskey person in general. Otherwise, I love almost all spirits, but don't know much about them.

Ever try stuff from Lord Hobo brewing? I've been up in Boston for a while, one of the better breweries while I've been here.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015

My wife has made me a decent wine drinker, but I don't know jack ****.

What’s in your cellar currently that you’re looking forward to cracking soon?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Beer just makes me fat and bloated.
I stick to vodka.
Sobieski preferably.

I’m right there with you. I LOVE IPA’s. But I piss non-stop, spend more money, and deal with more unnecessary calories.

Rum. Chase it with seltzer.

Or vodka. With 2 lemons + 2 limes + splash of tonic.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kru%C5%A1ovice_%C4%8Cern%C3%A9_-_Mu%C5%A1ket%C3%BDr.jpg

Do not sleep on this beer, if you’re a beer drinker. One of the most delicious beers I’ve ever had in my 37 years of existence.

Hard to find in many areas though.

40f76e7435f89002ddb9e6c6787932b.jpg

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
What’s in your cellar currently that you’re looking forward to cracking soon?

I used to live in LA, so I have an endless supply of Bruery stuff that I'm aging (multiple Black Tuesdays, Grey Mondays, Mocha Wednesdays, etc.). I'm now in Denver, and River North is my favorite spot (pretty small shop, don't distribute out of CO, but some of the best stouts around. Mr. Sandman and Shadowman are two of the best I've ever had).

The Bruery and River North probably make up about 50% of my cellar, which is a bit embarrassing and really limits my variety at the moment. Others that I'm excited about - I have a couple bottles of Black Widow by Coachella Valley Brewing...and exceptional 20% stout for such a small shop (not Black Tuesday level, but very tasty). Also, a handful of Avery stuff (Uncle Jacobs, Tweak, Mephistopheles), BrewDog (CocoaPsycho, Tokyo*),

Outside of stouts - I've been sitting on a bottle of Dogfish 120 for 4 years now, trying to hold out for a decade to see how it turns out. I've had it at around 3 or 4 years aged, but really curious to see long-term effects. I have a couple barleywines, one from Crux called Doublecross (AMAZING brewery, everything they do is great).

EDIT: I realized I didn't answer your other question, re: what I'm excited about opening soon. I have a few verticals that I've saved up, one is a series of River North's "lighter" imperial stouts (i.e., around 10%) called Avarice. I have 2015-17 of the barrel aged version and 2015 non-barrel aged...looking forward to cracking those four at the same time.

The other beer I'm about to crack is Perrin's Vietnamese Porter...I've always planned on aging one, but I can never resist opening it when I get my hands on it. Probably in my top 5 beers in the world.

Ever try stuff from Lord Hobo brewing? I've been up in Boston for a while, one of the better breweries while I've been here.

I have not, thanks for the tip! Do you know if they distribute out of state?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad