OT: Watcha Drinkin'?: Part I

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
CBS is a great beer that was almost impossible to get (only through bottle share or at the brewery) a few years ago. Have one aging for a couple of years that I can't wait to open and taste the difference.
I found it a a store, not even a beer store, in Yonkers. So good. Just can't drink a lot of it.....

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I found it a a store, not even a beer store, in Yonkers. So good. Just can't drink a lot of it.....

Yeah, last year at my preferred craft beer store, they had so few available that it was gone in no time and they raffled off a few bottles at an event. This year the final bottles lasted on the display for a week.

That's the thing with the barrel aged imperial stouts (Along with Quads, Barleywines and TIPAs). They all pack a wallop but can have great character in their taste. Good to share a bottle!

give me a moscow mule any day of the week

I prefer the Irish Mule variant but both are damn refreshing.

Reactions: Riche16

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
When I was in college playing hockey we all drank Jameson and then a buddy turned me on to Tullimore Dew and it became my standby for a couple of years. Tully is good and it’s dirt cheap. Over the years my tastes evolved though. Now I’m one of the people I used to hate who thinks it’s a sin to sully your whiskey with so much as a splash of water let alone an ice cube. I drink my bourbon strong and neat. Otherwise I’ll stick to beer.

You're making me think of that movie Waking Ned Devine. I love that movie.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Discovered a new Beer.

Omg.... :cheers:
IMG_1088-e1518335825585-900x900.jpg

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Bumping this thread because I saw something ragging on "American beer"

This may be an unpopular opinion, but North American high end craft beer is the best beer in the world.

I specify "high end" because the mediocrity in the craft beer world can be overwhelming with everybody and their mother trying to make beer nowadays.

What is considered standard American beer like Bud/Miller/Coors and their minions are in fact inferior to the beer from the rest of the world, and it seems like all American beer gets lumped into this category.

fight me.

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Bumping this thread because I saw something ragging on "American beer"

This may be an unpopular opinion, but North American high end craft beer is the best beer in the world.

I specify "high end" because the mediocrity in the craft beer world can be overwhelming with everybody and their mother trying to make beer nowadays.

What is considered standard American beer like Bud/Miller/Coors and their minions are in fact inferior to the beer from the rest of the world, and it seems like all American beer gets lumped into this category.

fight me.

The thing i dont like about craft beer is that people think of it as its own single type of beer. People say they dont like craft beer but all that may have had is an IPA. They dont realize there are "craft" lagers, "craft" pilsners, "craft" porters.

When i think of craft beer, i think of beer brewed with better ingredients instead of lower quality ingredients to pump out the most beer possible to please the masses (think-Bud, Coors Light, Corona, etc)

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
The thing i dont like about craft beer is that people think of it as its own single type of beer. People say they dont like craft beer but all that may have had is an IPA. They dont realize there are "craft" lagers, "craft" pilsners, "craft" porters.

When i think of craft beer, i think of beer brewed with better ingredients instead of lower quality ingredients to pump out the most beer possible to please the masses (think-Bud, Coors Light, Corona, etc)

You couldn't be more right

You can't be a national brand and not have low quality ingredients. Thats the problem. The ingredients used in American macro beers have to be plentiful and completely uniform in order to keep the taste consistent. They use the exact same type of hops, the exact same barley, and supplement with rice/corn syrup because its easy to replicate and doesn't add any taste.

Whats funny is the current Bud Light marketing campaign about their ingredients is completely disingenuous. Rice is a low quality adjunct ingredient, yet they advertise that they use it in their beer. Another funny part about it is that they accuse Miller/Coors of brewing with corn syrup. While thats true, its only used to supplement the barley in the brewing process. It serves the same purpose as the rice, and it all gets fermented in the brewing process. Its no better or worse for you than rice is. Makes for a good marketing campaign because of the "CORN SYRUP BAD" crowd

This is why the best beer to drink is local beer. anything that has to be mass produced has likely had to cut corners due to streamlining production in the name of logistics.

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
You couldn't be more right

You can't be a national brand and not have low quality ingredients. Thats the problem. The ingredients used in American macro beers have to be plentiful and completely uniform in order to keep the taste consistent. They use the exact same type of hops, the exact same barley, and supplement with rice/corn syrup because its easy to replicate and doesn't add any taste.

Whats funny is the current Bud Light marketing campaign about their ingredients is completely disingenuous. Rice is a low quality adjunct ingredient, yet they advertise that they use it in their beer. Another funny part about it is that they accuse Miller/Coors of brewing with corn syrup. While thats true, its only used to supplement the barley in the brewing process. It serves the same purpose as the rice, and it all gets fermented in the brewing process. Its no better or worse for you than rice is. Makes for a good marketing campaign because of the "CORN SYRUP BAD" crowd

This is why the best beer to drink is local beer. anything that has to be mass produced has likely had to cut corners due to streamlining production in the name of logistics.
I drink local whenever i can. Its almost like they just use their beer to bring people together as opposed to fuel their bottom line. Not to mention the beer is killer and who doesnt like a rotation of food trucks outside?

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
If you're as much of a snob as I am (and it sounds like a handful others are), I recommend the Craft-Check app. It helps you figure out which breweries are actually craft (as defined by the brewer's association). I agree it's not a perfect definition, but can be used to filter out some obvious ones. I see too many people drinking Goose Island or Ballast Point and talking about how they "support local" and "drink only craft".

I'm 100% set on never giving another penny to AB-Inbev (and other goliaths).

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
We used to go hard on long island iced teas ... nowadays it's just beer and the fear of someone ordering shots and opting for Jägermeister, because you pretty much hate all other shots.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
So what in your opinion are the best local beers?
Well I live in the Philly area, and know more about local stuff around here but for NY I've always been partial to Singlecut. Sixpoint used to be good, but in the last 2 years or so their quality has fallen off, and now they are part of the Victory/Southern Tier collective.

Evil Twin is up there too

Last edited:

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
If you're as much of a snob as I am (and it sounds like a handful others are), I recommend the Craft-Check app. It helps you figure out which breweries are actually craft (as defined by the brewer's association). I agree it's not a perfect definition, but can be used to filter out some obvious ones. I see too many people drinking Goose Island or Ballast Point and talking about how they "support local" and "drink only craft".

I'm 100% set on never giving another penny to AB-Inbev (and other goliaths).

getting harder by the day.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Dom. Brunet Pinot Noir 2016

An expensive wine with a silky, easy taste that can be paired with red meat or pasta.

A popular choice with guests, or something you enjoy after work.

dom%20brunet-500x500.jpg

I think you meant to say inexpensive, only 13 bucks at my local wine shop. I've paid $50 for one bottle of Pinot Noir and that was Elk Cove, well worth it.

If you like Pinot Noir, try a German Spatburgunder sometime.

Reactions: Edge

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Well I live in the Philly area, and know more about local stuff around here but for NY I've always been partial to Singlecut. Sixpoint used to be good, but in the last 2 years or so their quality has fallen off, and now they are part of the Victory/Southern Tier collective.

Evil Twin is up there too

Thanks. Beer from Astoria, Queens. What's next? Any idea where I can pick some up in Manhattan? Their website doesn't appear to have a list of retailers. I just checked FreshDirect but they don't seem to offer it. Whole Foods?

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I disagree completely about the Macro comments and only drinking local. While I’m not a fan of them (bud Lt, Miller Lt, Pbr, etc) they ‘re true to style for an American adjunct lager. They also have the advantage of buying in massive quantities through hop contracts and other things that give them access to best quality ingredients. Not to mention their labs and brewing facilities are far more advanced than craft breweries. I’m talking large scale ones likes New Belgium, Firestone Walker, Sam adams, let alone tiny local ones who put out less than 5k barrels a year. Their beers are just made for the masses who prefer adjunct lagers. Nothing wrong with liking or disliking them. Different strokes for different folks. But this myth that craft adjunct lagers are superior to Marco Bc of ingredients needs to die. There is a reason Coors banquet, Pbr and other macros continue to win and place in these award categories over craft ones.

To the local is better portion. I’ll ask why? I’ve got no problem supporting local anything, as long as it’s good. But buying local craft for the sake of it being local as always annoyed me. There are some amazing craft breweries out there. A lot worth visiting and even camping out for limited stuff. But there are far more awful ones that are trying to make a quick buck, who didn’t realize how tough it is to be profitable in the industry. And if you’re not a top 100 craft brewery, chance are you’re getting old or left over hops and malt. Which means you’re not using the best or freshest ingredients. Why should you pay $25 for a 4pk or an ipa from a craft brewery who can’t dial in their consistency on their flagship ipa so they tell you it’s version 2.0 or 20.0, so they don’t have to drain pour a bad batch.

TLDR: Macros are well made from a BJCP stylistic stand point, buying local is overrated.

Reactions: TimeZone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad