OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season V0l. 2: 1-1 = Half empty... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think Manusky thinks his DL is so dominant, that he doesn't need to scheme for sacks.

Oh and it's high time to admit home field advantage, is not an advantage for us.

The worst? Prime time, at home.

Sep 19, 2008
Redskins schedule looks very intimidating early, knowing what we know now. It would be nice to win Sunday, but if they didn't, there's a chance they could fall into a 4 game losing streak to flame out of the picture early. Take a look.

- Packers...Rodgers could light this D up. Who knows how effective Redskins offense can be. Packers gave up 29 points in a tie :laugh: Colts also gave up 34 points yet held Redskins to 9 points. So you could see the Packers make the Redskins offense look like scrubs again.

- Bye ?

- Saints: have moments of competence but barely beat Browns. Offense is still there and Kamara.

- Panthers, another 1-1 team that has Cam and McCaffrey and a decent D.

- Cowboys 1-1

So basically they're going up against a 1-0-1 team and 3 1-1 teams. Need to make a statement early and rebound off that loss. Because if they lose those 3 games after the bye it's going to be a damn long year. Need to win at least two of those games.

Either they stand out from those other 1-1 teams and start winning games, or they flame out.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I expect to be 2-4 after that run. Wouldn't be surprised if we were 1-5 and the season was over.

Yup. They are who they are until they aren't, and what they are is a team that -- without fail, every year -- pushes out some type of hype about this year being different and there's a different feel and blah blah blah and then they come up empty. Last year they had that terrific performance on prime time against the Raiders and then promptly fell on their faces afterwards.

Yesterday was a measuring stick game for me; it was a chance to see how they handled success and a chance to prove they are a team that's maturing into a group that can compete for the playoffs every year. It was about as uninspiring, lackluster, disappointing, apathetic, etc a performance as you could have gotten for a home opener against a team they should have beaten.

It's a long season and there's always a chance they turn it around but man, yesterday sucked.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Not sure what the warning is but it sounds like the Skins should of hired the former LB coach to be their DC.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Manusky was not (and still IS not) an inspiring choice for DC. In fact, it may lead to Gruden's demise. The team stalls out this year, he's gone, IMO (Gruden), and it will be due to the defense being...well, a usual Redskinny Defense. and the team losing games it shouldnt (like this past weekend), and not being able to win game it shouldnt (like the game coming up this weekend).

1-2, here we come.

Sep 19, 2008

Redskins games are always a wild adventure at home. I remember when they barely beat the Niners and had to have a Fuller pick to save their hides in that game :laugh:

The Raiders game was one of the few instances I left FedEx field gloating and happy. That and the Packers SNF game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
980 discussion earlier today (Bmitch mainly) said the Colts ran different schemes and plays than they did vs Cincy and the Skins did not change their gameplan to adjust. Supposedly this was talked about by players after the game, too.

We've heard this before when they didn't plan for Russel Wilson to scramble simply because they didn't see it on the specific game films they watched.

It's really sounding like the coaching staff is either lazy or clueless.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
980 discussion earlier today (Bmitch mainly) said the Colts ran different schemes and plays than they did vs Cincy and the Skins did not change their gameplan to adjust. Supposedly this was talked about by players after the game, too.

This is frustrating to hear. Especially for the players sake. Camp was filled with all sorts of positive energy by the players, it must suck to have that taken away by a coaching staff that does not plan properly. Great way to lose a team and spirla them down the wrong course.

Hopefully we are hearing a different story come a week from now.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I remember a few years back Baker and AJ? sounding off against our defensive schemes... while Manusky was a backers coach IIRC.

Good pull on Wilson, I had forgotten about that. Well, he didn't scramble much in the game before, so...

Reactions: g00n

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is frustrating to hear. Especially for the players sake. Camp was filled with all sorts of positive energy by the players, it must suck to have that taken away by a coaching staff that does not plan properly. Great way to lose a team and spirla them down the wrong course.

Hopefully we are hearing a different story come a week from now.

I didn't see the game so I personally have no idea, but Portis on the Fan described a really poor running scheme that had guys looking for people to block rather than actually blocking any defenders, and he wasn't pleased that they went the whole game without changing up the look.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A bad gameplan and an inability to adjust might explain why, despite a fairly low scoring game overall, they largely abandoned the run game.

At the same time, how do you throw for nearly 300 yds and not score a TD? CT had 13 receptions. I wonder if they just got stuck in their plan to lean more on him than AP, like it would somehow fool the Colts.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Now Michael Floyd? The WR position is way worse then we thought. And Doctson short arming that pass may signal the end of the Doctson era.

The shear number of WR busts this team has drafted back to Desmond Howard is mind blowing.

Reactions: Holtbyisms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad