OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season V0l. 2: 1-1 = Half empty... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Signing all of these receivers could mean Richardson's injury is worse than originally thought. Could mean they have no confidence in the current guys. Could mean Sims and Quinn aren't coming back this year. Could mean Jay is already panicking. Could mean all of the above.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Could mean this front office is clueless and make decisions with a magic 8 ball

upload_2018-9-17_22-25-53.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Definite dumpster diving.

Perrimen was the worst rated WR last year.... hey wait, wasn't Orpik the worst player in the NHL?

So yer saying there is a chance.

I would say that neither do anything this year, other than block.

Reactions: calicapsfan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

It's hard to get excited about the team when the gameday experience sucks and there are better options in town.

Reactions: robertmac43
Sep 19, 2008
The only reason I'm probably not going Sunday is tickets are 120 right now. So yeah, if you find free tickets, hand them off to me. I'll take em off your hands. :nod:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

It's hard to get excited about the team when the gameday experience sucks and there are better options in town.

Nailed it. Snyder no longer has a stranglehold on this city. Years of his buffoonery combined with a declining NFL product combined with other local sports and teams that are actually good and well run combined with the worst gameday experience in all of professional sports means the Redskins aren't the invincible Goliath they used to be. Will be very interesting to watch.

At this point I think the only thing that turns it around is a move back to the District.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
When Snyder hears "FedEx sucks and I won't go back" he thinks "new stadium" rather than "better football product"

I mean, there's probably a lot of truth to that. FedEx is miserable. It's crappiness cannot be overstated. The team hasn't really been bad the last couple of years. They've been competitive. They haven't had a truly terrible season since 2014. I wouldn't underestimate how much the soullessness of FedEx plays into all of this.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I imagine the loss of the sellout streak, however hollow that was anyway, and the vast emptiness of Fedex Field likely devalue the Redskins a bit. A new stadium will increase their value.

Is their any chance this is a deliberate, Angelos-esque devaluation to put pressure on DC for a Stadium deal?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wasn't Shanahan fired because of one or two games with empty seats? I know that's not the ONLY reason by far, but that home game vs the Chiefs iirc to close the season was the nail in the coffin.

Jay, you better start winning, bruh.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I mean, there's probably a lot of truth to that. FedEx is miserable. It's crappiness cannot be overstated. The team hasn't really been bad the last couple of years. They've been competitive. They haven't had a truly terrible season since 2014. I wouldn't underestimate how much the soullessness of FedEx plays into all of this.
FedEx might not be ideal, but it's a far cry from something like Nassau Coliseum. And when the Islanders iced a good team, people still packed Nassau.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

The Redskins have been bouncing between suck and average for 20 years. Since 2000 they have 4 winning record seasons, one being 8-7-1, and none better than 10 wins. Only once did they really have a shot at Conference title, much less SB. Since 93 (25 seasons) they have 7 winning seasons (2x 8-7-1) none over 10 wins, only 2 division titles and have never won a Division level playoff game. That is peaking at average every 3-4 years. That sucks, and it is the true reason fans have started to vanish. There are college graduates who have never seen the Redskins actually compete for anything in their lifetime.

Teams with better records then Washington this decade
Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, NY Jets,

We suck

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
FedEx might not be ideal, but it's a far cry from something like Nassau Coliseum. And when the Islanders iced a good team, people still packed Nassau.

What does NYI fanbase have to do with Redskins fanbase, though? You have 42 home games in the NHL over 6+ months compared to 8 home games in the NFL over 4 months. There aren't enough home games in an NFL season for people to flock back for any meaningful time period. The exceptions might be if the Skins pinch out 10 or 11 wins somehow and make the playoffs ( 2 of their last 6 regular season games are at home so there's little chance to get people back on any bandwagon during the regular season).

The most Danny boy can hope for is a deep playoff run that allows the marketing team to sell a few more seats next year. If that doesn't look likely then Jay has to go and they have to sell a re-tool.

People keep talking about the NFL because of the protests but participation at lower levels is down among the major sports (except hockey) and attendance across all the major sports has been declining.

That said, relative to other teams the Skins are dropping fast in total attendance (5th worst avg home attendance so far).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
In all sincerity I think they should change the team name and completely rebrand the franchise (new stadium, colors, etc.). For young people the name "Redskins," on top of being a slur, is synonymous with losing. I don't really see the downside since support for the team is already cratering, and those fans who say they won't support the team if they change the name are probably lying and if they aren't lying they are inconsequential in number.

Involve fans with renaming the team, designing jerseys, finding a location for the new stadium, etc. and maybe some enthusiasm will return to the fanbase. New fans don't want a return to the glory days because they weren't around for the glory days. They want a fresh start. Young people aren't going to support a toxic brand.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not making a statement one way or another about keeping the name but regarding young fans I see a LOT of young people in the stands when cameras show the seats.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
In all sincerity I think they should change the team name and completely rebrand the franchise (new stadium, colors, etc.). For young people the name "Redskins," on top of being a slur, is synonymous with losing. I don't really see the downside since support for the team is already cratering, and those fans who say they won't support the team if they change the name are probably lying and if they aren't lying they are inconsequential in number.

Involve fans with renaming the team, designing jerseys, finding a location for the new stadium, etc. and maybe some enthusiasm will return to the fanbase. New fans don't want a return to the glory days because they weren't around for the glory days. They want a fresh start. Young people aren't going to support a toxic brand.

The toxic brand has nothing to do with the name. In fact those who actually hate the name are few and most have already moved on to another "just cause" to scream about. Right now the Redskins have the reputation of the Lion, Bills, Browns, Bengals. Every once in a while we may jump up and get a wild card, but we will go right back to suck because we don't know how to build a team. We have bad coaching and ownership. It has nothing to do with our name or colors.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The toxic brand has nothing to do with the name. In fact those who actually hate the name are few and most have already moved on to another "just cause" to scream about. Right now the Redskins have the reputation of the Lion, Bills, Browns, Bengals. Every once in a while we may jump up and get a wild card, but we will go right back to suck because we don't know how to build a team. We have bad coaching and ownership. It has nothing to do with our name or colors.

I'm not saying the name is what is causing the team to lose fans, but I think rebranding the team is an opportunity to get a fresh start for a team that absolutely needs one. Snyder selling the team would be best but that isn't going to happen.

10% of people being offended by the name is 10% too many, assuming the number is even accurate. Using the poll as justification for keeping the team name is garbage:

On the Shameful and Skewed ‘Redskins’ Poll

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What does NYI fanbase have to do with Redskins fanbase, though? You have 42 home games in the NHL over 6+ months compared to 8 home games in the NFL over 4 months. There aren't enough home games in an NFL season for people to flock back for any meaningful time period. The exceptions might be if the Skins pinch out 10 or 11 wins somehow and make the playoffs ( 2 of their last 6 regular season games are at home so there's little chance to get people back on any bandwagon during the regular season).

It was just the easiest example I could think of for a terrible arena. My overall point being the phsyical venue doesnt' matter nearly as much as the on-field product does when it comes to attendance.

Reactions: Corby78
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad