OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season V0l. 2: 1-1 = Half empty... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
There’s a line of responsibility from Dan Snyder to Bruce Allen to Jay Gruden to Greg Manusky. Snyder won’t leave so somewhere else along that line something needs to change. Firing Allen would bring the most bang for the buck as all the incompetence flows from him. But if Snyder has no intention of doing that, I would start with Manusky. Really he is no better than Barry. Colts were running picks all over the place and we never adjusted. Overly simplistic schemes that might work if you have elite personnel. Yet Manusky might be a reflection of Gruden’s ego, not wanting to hire someone more established as d-coordinator.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Week 1: Super Bowl here we come!!!
Week 2: Worst organization in sports! Our players are trash! Blow it up!!!

OMFG it's 2 games. I didn't get the picks right, and expected reverse of these performances from Indy and AZ, but I had them 1-1 at this point. No big deal yet.

Reactions: robertmac43

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Meh. Same old, same old. Way too sloppy and easily full of themselves coming off of a W. At least Kirk would have stats-padded late by throwing down the field now and then. Just an ugly game considering it was the home opener.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

OMFG it's 2 games. I didn't get the picks right, and expected reverse of these performances from Indy and AZ, but I had them 1-1 at this point. No big deal yet.

The big deal to me is the fact that our offense has sputtered for 75% if the play these two games. The defense has done their job, but if we hadn’t got hot running the ball in G1Q2 we would be 0-2 and looking very dismal

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The big deal to me is the fact that our offense has sputtered for 75% if the play these two games. The defense has done their job, but if we hadn’t got hot running the ball in G1Q2 we would be 0-2 and looking very dismal

Few teams are consistently dominant all game, every week. Sometimes it's one good quarter and holding on despite crazy plays. And there have been a LOT of crazy/bad performances the first two weeks all around the league.

I will say one thing, though. Boring ground-and-pound and dink-and-dunk football seems to be antiquated. The teams making waves around the league are doing it with big plays on both sides of the ball. AP is that kind of player. So is Reed. Maybe CT. Who else? It's pretty clear they could use a DJax.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ground-and-pound can work if you're a team like Jacksonville that has a workhorse running back and a stellar defense. Washington isn't Jacksonville, though. It's clearly not the best strategy for this team.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ground-and-pound can work if you're a team like Jacksonville that has a workhorse running back and a stellar defense. Washington isn't Jacksonville, though. It's clearly not the best strategy for this team.

It's big plays, not just running and defense. Jax has playmakers and gamebreakers on both sides of the ball.

Sep 19, 2008
Was there to see Ovechkin in person. Seats were empty most of the game. Surprising for a home opener. New intro wasn't that bad, basically they took out the inflatable helmet (RIP) and had pyrotechnics and individual introductions. As for the game itself the offense pretty much shit the bed and spotting the Colts a 14-3 lead is not something you want to do. Feared Luck would have a good day and he did. Defense couldn't make a stop on 3rd down. Played a bit better in 2nd half but after closing within 14-9 all the D needed was one stop. Just one. And then the Redskins could get the football back. When they scored that TD I figured the Colts would win and I started heading down from the cheap seats. When I was watching the game on the lower level concourse the first thing Reed does is catch the ball and fumble it, at which point I left the stadium.

Wasn't aware Packers tied so they should be pretty tough and of course that offense is explosive too. Redskins really need to improve that D effort. And get working on a more consistent offensive attack. Peterson today was a huge disappointment.

Sep 19, 2008

On one hand, 1-1 could possibly be expected, I would have them over the Colts but that's fine for them to lose.

On the other hand, a good point is made...other than that 21 point outburst against the Cardinals in the 2nd quarter, the offense is largely nonexistent. And that's disturbing. They shut it down the 2nd half against Arizona, make it of that what you will, and then put up 9 points today. So basically 4 field goals in two games. Not good enough.

A real barometer is their play against Green Bay. If they can look competent against GB a lot of fears will be allayed. If they shit the bed again and allow Rodgers to burn them all day things will sour really fast as they should. They need to step it up defensively.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
With the brutal schedule they have lined up, I just don't see how they can eek out the 8-9 more wins it's going to take to make the playoffs.

Sep 19, 2008
Seems high......

It sucks but the team has had more for Week 2, 3, and so on games. Will be interested in seeing attendance next week, even with all the Packers fans.

I think a lot of it is largely distrust of Snyder or the reputation the place has as a "dump". I mean I used to feel the same way, until I actually started making the trips to the games. It's not the best stadium in the NFL, but it is passable.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
That might be the funniest thing I have seen in a while. I wonder if there are any other cases of the mid game retiring.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't want to panic yet cause as it has been mentioned it is only week 2 and 1-1 is not terrible. I do not trust the Offense yet, next week will be huge for that as they are against a D that is very much susceptible too big plays and is weaker in general. Same could likely be said about the Colts, which is why I will be very annoyed if the O cannot get going next week, for the second game in a row.

Sep 19, 2008
I don't want to panic yet cause as it has been mentioned it is only week 2 and 1-1 is not terrible. I do not trust the Offense yet, next week will be huge for that as they are against a D that is very much susceptible too big plays and is weaker in general. Same could likely be said about the Colts, which is why I will be very annoyed if the O cannot get going next week, for the second game in a row.

Exactly. I was pretty mad that the Colts got lit up by the Bengals of all teams and then hold the Redskins without a TD. That was very concerning. Based on Game 1 the Colts weren't very good defensively. There were flashes of brilliance from Luck and company and that was what I was scared of.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Our OL got tooled and our DL got shutdown.

I think our WRs suck. They scare no one. I would bring in Gordon or Dez, only they would get 1 or 2 snaps a game and do nothing, so why bother. I would use CT and Reed out wide more.

No more trades with Andy Reid. Fitzpatrick is killing it. Young QBs can hang in the league now that OCs have catered their playbooks to their strengths, and stopped being stubborn about it. We don't even have a young QB in the pipe.

Another misery monday. At least we won the cup.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Only one team in our division won this week and that's only because NYG/Dal didn't go to a tie.

Smith is a good, smart QB. He has a very stable, consistent stat base to draw on so we already know he doesn't suck. The WRs are good but not great, the RBs are finally at least average in NFL quality, and the OL is competent at times but overrated because they call themselves "Hogs 2.0" or whatever (which needs to be earned and is blasphemy, imo).

So yes, we have a good baseline of talent but we need another playmaker, per my earlier post. We have maybe 2-3 "great" players on either side of the ball and that's counting one HOF candidate who's been here 2 games.

We also need to be sure Gruden is a winning coach in the NFL and not just a caretaker or brand manager with a famous name. His career .447 winning percentage is not helping his cause, and he knows it. If they are in "win now" mode as he said then he needs to prepare them better every week.

But in general expectations were probably too high in a week that saw Luck return to form, Kyle win his first game in SF (I think), and Cousins put up big numbers in an epic battle in GB. So it feels worse than it really is. It's ultimately a single L on the stat sheet, in Week 2, that we will have forgotten in 2 months.

I'm not on the ledge yet.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I will be on the ledge when our sellout next week is courtesy of Green Bay fans taking over our stadium (assuming we lose).

Kirk got lucky on his late TD to Thielan. The corner panicked thinking he would get destroyed by the safety coming over, and stopped playing. At least Kirk tried to throw it deep into coverage. I thought Alex, like Kirk last year, had finally joined that willing to throw into coverage club.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Only one team in our division won this week and that's only because NYG/Dal didn't go to a tie.

Smith is a good, smart QB. He has a very stable, consistent stat base to draw on so we already know he doesn't suck. The WRs are good but not great, the RBs are finally at least average in NFL quality, and the OL is competent at times but overrated because they call themselves "Hogs 2.0" or whatever (which needs to be earned and is blasphemy, imo).

So yes, we have a good baseline of talent but we need another playmaker, per my earlier post. We have maybe 2-3 "great" players on either side of the ball and that's counting one HOF candidate who's been here 2 games.

We also need to be sure Gruden is a winning coach in the NFL and not just a caretaker or brand manager with a famous name. His career .447 winning percentage is not helping his cause, and he knows it. If they are in "win now" mode as he said then he needs to prepare them better every week.

But in general expectations were probably too high in a week that saw Luck return to form, Kyle win his first game in SF (I think), and Cousins put up big numbers in an epic battle in GB. So it feels worse than it really is. It's ultimately a single L on the stat sheet, in Week 2, that we will have forgotten in 2 months.

I'm not on the ledge yet.

Yeah, but......

There is no history of being better. That game.....is exactly what this new version of the Redskins does. Lays an Egg when there is a real chance to step forward.

The Colts are mediocre. They are not going to be a force this year. They just won’t. Redskins had them at home, with a chance to be 2-0. Odds of making the playoffs at 2-0 are ridiculously better than at 1-1.

As I said earlier, it’s a game that a “good team” wins. So they lost. Ergo, they are not a good team. That’s just how I see it. There’s no ledge for me to jump off as I’m not even on a cliff. Nowhere near one. It’s a “shrug” and I move on. I was barely even mad yesterday.....but more disappointed in myself for thinking they were different. They are assuredly NOT different.

That is it, and that is all.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
So what happened to this Dline that was hyped beyond belief before season started? Two weeks now, barely much of any pressure on the QB. Luck had all day to throw. They weren't much better stopping the run either.

The coaching on this team is so woeful. Gruden and co never seem to have the players in the right spot.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad