OT: Washington Football Team-Free Agency Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Oh well Its not like we won with with Sheriff and Trent Williams on the O line, Now both highest paid players at their pos

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don’t understand at all, why did he turn down the deal? Didn’t he want a long contract? Wtf

Its almost certain that they offered him the highest average per year, but not very much guaranteed money, likely by making few of the seasons salary guaranteed and the bonus money being things like roster bonus vs signing bonus. Roster bonuses are paid annually when you earn them by being still on the tea, signing bonus is paid all upfront (so its guaranteed money). I'm certain that they offered him a deal which, if he stays healthy and plays at high level, he's the highest paid OG but if he doesn't the WFT is protected from massive dead cap hits. It's also likely that his massive offer would have been back loaded, again meaning he would be unlikely to actually see the money. That's the only reason why he would turn down being the "highest paid player" at his position, because as a free agent next year someone will likely offer him more guaranteed money.

Its also 100% guaranteed that the WFT leaked this because they know he's gone and they want to make sure everyone knows its on Scherff not on them.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Someone could trade for and extend him and reduce his cap hit this year (I think).

Yep, Joe Thuney's cap hit this year is $4.5M. But he pocketed (will pocket) $18M in guaranteed cash this year. WFT could have done the same deal but Thuney was guaranteed $48M over the first three years so that's likely where the two sides split.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I assume Scherff would net us a third in compensatory value with the UFA contract he’ll sign elsewhere next year so anything better than that is positive value. I wonder if they could get a second from a needy team with a bunch of picks this year, like the Jets.

If the Jets do come calling I wonder if something around Darnold becomes a possibility.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Would make a lot of sense for the Jets who have lots of pics and money And need to protect a young quarterback

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
ship the F’er...if that was WFTs best offer, they should have traded him immediately upon his rejection.
Sure. Just snap your fingers and he’s gone? It takes time.

he could still easily get traded before July 15th. It really doesn’t change anything. Anywhere he gets traded to will 95% want to extend him before the deal is consummated. So the tag just bought them time. Or him for a season.

I don’t see any loss to it, save the added 3m cap hit which isn’t an issue since they still have 21m to go.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
you don’t say.....you mean tagging him has negatives? Shocking for some I guess (not you)....;)

No one is trading for him without a long term contract, so by franchising him we at least have some opportunity to get something in return for him if we should decide to trade him, which i doubt we want to do. We tagged him because we want him play to for us this year. If we didn't tag him, we would have lost him for nothing already. Instead we get one more year out of him, or we trade him for some value to a team who extends him.

This isn't difficult to understand. By tagging him we have some leverage - he plays for us or we trade him for value. By not tagging him we get nothing in return and he doesn't play for us. But that $18M sure would be nice sitting in Dan Snyder's bank account.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
AHHH YES....the age old “wise” strategy of “we have extra, so it’s ok to blow it” lol.....

Come on Rids....if he’s that great, there are buyers.

the longer we wait the tougher the cap number to absorb for many IMO.

ship this f’er out and get guys in who WANT to be WFT players.

I don’t care about timelines honestly....but having guys who want to be here to build something is important. Trade this money grubber.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Sure. Just snap your fingers and he’s gone? It takes time.

he could still easily get traded before July 15th. It really doesn’t change anything. Anywhere he gets traded to will 95% want to extend him before the deal is consummated. So the tag just bought them time. Or him for a season.

I don’t see any loss to it, save the added 3m cap hit which isn’t an issue since they still have 21m to go.

No that's 100%. Actually you're right. One time I can recall a team trading for a franchise tagged player without a long term deal in place. Trent Williams to the 9rs. We got what, a 3rd and 4th, then they extended him the following year.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
AHHH YES....the age old “wise” strategy of “we have extra, so it’s ok to blow it” lol.....

Come on Rids....if he’s that great, there are buyers.

the longer we wait the tougher the cap number to absorb for many IMO.

ship this f’er out and get guys in who WANT to be WFT players.

I don’t care about timelines honestly....but having guys who want to be here to build something is important.

Its not "blowing it" to pay a Pro Bowler instead of saving it and signing a scrap heap guy, which is what the FA's are left right now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Blowing it.....woopeee a pro bowler in a position to protect a dumpster dive QB! (I like Fitz, but it’s what he is).

Winning!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Heh, Happy Easter, cranky pants :D

overpaying is one thing..,being spurned by someone you’re overpaying......F him.

He’d be dead to me if I was RR. I’d put him on special teams and any other shit duty I could find for him....really use him up nicely his last year.

I can smell the Easter cheer! ;)

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
overpaying is one thing..,being spurned by someone you’re overpaying......F him.

He’d be dead to me if I was RR. I’d put him on special teams and any other shit duty I could find for him....really use him up nicely his last year.

I can smell the Easter cheer! ;)

Ok I like the sentiment. But I doubt the WFT really offered to overpay him. Again I would bet they offered him a fat incentive laden contract with little guaranteed money, but when the AAV over 5 or 6 years is tallied it looks like "highest paid OG in the league" when in reality he was being offered a didley pooh in real guaranteed money.

Its plenty easy to see bad faith on both sides here.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ok I like the sentiment. But I doubt the WFT really offered to overpay him. Again I would bet they offered him a fat incentive laden contract with little guaranteed money, but when the AAV over 5 or 6 years is tallied it looks like "highest paid OG in the league" when in reality he was being offered a didley pooh in real guaranteed money.

Its plenty easy to see bad faith on both sides here.

I see you pushing this angle that suddenly they’re offering only (what I would describe you’re suggesting is) a bad faith offer. I don’t think RR is that type if he wants a guy on his team.

is there any real evidence to suggest they’re lowballing him in guarantees?

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I see you pushing this angle that suddenly they’re offering only (what I would describe you’re suggesting is) a bad faith offer. I don’t think RR is that type if he wants a guy on his team.

is there any real evidence to suggest they’re lowballing him in guarantees?

Yeah, he turned it down. If the offer was legit the highest paid OG, and legit guaranteed money at Thuney's level, he would have signed it. Why wouldn't he, unless he's simply been lying about wanting to be here, which makes little sense for him to constantly repeat that lie. Why wouldn't he sign a contract that makes him the highest paid guard, unless it didn't really.

Dude has been hurt a lot lately, but when healthy he's a top player. A contract that protects against him being out a lot makes sense. A contract that gives him the chance to be the highest paid, if he actually plays, makes sense. But a contract that simply gambles that he will magically stay healthy all of a sudden doesn't make sense.

We all know players love the "highest paid" title, but guaranteed money is what really talks. Trent Williams is the "highest paid OL" in the NFL, but Joe Thuney got MORE guaranteed money than TW did. Players gobble up guaranteed money, Scherff said no... either he's a liar or the contract didn't really guarantee him that much. You tell me which one is more likely? Because if both are false, then he would have signed it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Why wouldn’t he? That’s so easy Dave....

Because he wants out....he’ll milk them until he forces their hand and still get paid elsewhere.

it was clear to me when they tagged him. Clearer now that we know no talks have occurred.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Rivera screwed this one up. Ron talked about how he wanted Scherff to be one of the figures in the culture change. Little did Ron know that the only culture change Scherff wanted was to get out of Washington. Move him now. Talk to the Jets. Scherff and a fifth for Darnold and a 2nd. There's good offensive linemen in this draft. Why bother keeping someone who doesn't want to be here....

Edit: don't forget they gave this guy $18 million to boot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad