OT: Washington Football Team-Free Agency Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
It's because I'm tired of one extreme to the other. Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden were terrible for this franchise. Bruce was a master manipulator and Jay was his puppet and we all knew it and Dan allowed it to happen because they made Dan part of the 'boys club' in there. Now Rivera comes in and immediately, good football people are replaced by his people. I get it. But, I hate the whole "I'm the smartest person in the room" attitude that we're seeing. Rivera is no Bellichek and the fact that they've replaced the quarterbacks on this team with nothing more than stop gaps, rather than being serious about getting things done, is what annoys me even further. Why, for the love of God, will they not be serious and address the quarterback position? Instead, we're seeing them rely on a 39 year old who has been benched EVERYWHERE he's played, a 27 year old who had one good game and all of a sudden he's the second coming and then the 25 year old who's had multiple years in the same offensive system and we hear "well, we could have won with him too." And that doesn't include Steven Montez, who is also a waste of a roster spot at this time. And that's the thing - it's going to be the same thing next year. We'll be in the same spot and names will come up and it will be "oh we can't trade for this guy because he sucks" or "we can't trade for this guy because he'll cost too much" or "we can't go after this guy because he doesn't fit the offensive system we want to use" and instead, we'll be stuck with some retread behind center and we'll hear the same shtick all over again. The WFT made a huge jump this year. I'll give him that. However, I've seen this mediocrity play out. I'm a Flyers fan and I've seen it with mediocre goaltenders. You can have a championship club, but if the most important position on your team is treated like anyone off the street can play there and you have a chance of winning, you squander everything else. Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a championship caliber quarterback. Taylor Heinicke is not a championship caliber quarterback. Kyle Allen is not a championship caliber quarterback. Steven Montez is barely a practice roster quarterback. They need someone legitimate and while they might have been in on Stafford, it's also worth pointing out that Stafford is in his 30s, has a ton of miles on his body and is a legitimately banged up guy. That's what's scary about this club - they'll chase after the beaten up and broken down, but they won't take a chance on someone who needs a chance. Darnold could have been that guy. Now watch him go to Carolina and light it up under Ruhle and Brady.
Well that explains it! Puck the Flyers! Haha.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Was thinking that this move means the Panthers like Darnold better than Fields/Jones/Lance or they know/have a good hunch that the QBs could all be gone by the time they pick at 8. Very curious indeed.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It's because I'm tired of one extreme to the other. Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden were terrible for this franchise. Bruce was a master manipulator and Jay was his puppet and we all knew it and Dan allowed it to happen because they made Dan part of the 'boys club' in there. Now Rivera comes in and immediately, good football people are replaced by his people. I get it. But, I hate the whole "I'm the smartest person in the room" attitude that we're seeing. Rivera is no Bellichek and the fact that they've replaced the quarterbacks on this team with nothing more than stop gaps, rather than being serious about getting things done, is what annoys me even further. Why, for the love of God, will they not be serious and address the quarterback position? Instead, we're seeing them rely on a 39 year old who has been benched EVERYWHERE he's played, a 27 year old who had one good game and all of a sudden he's the second coming and then the 25 year old who's had multiple years in the same offensive system and we hear "well, we could have won with him too." And that doesn't include Steven Montez, who is also a waste of a roster spot at this time. And that's the thing - it's going to be the same thing next year. We'll be in the same spot and names will come up and it will be "oh we can't trade for this guy because he sucks" or "we can't trade for this guy because he'll cost too much" or "we can't go after this guy because he doesn't fit the offensive system we want to use" and instead, we'll be stuck with some retread behind center and we'll hear the same shtick all over again. The WFT made a huge jump this year. I'll give him that. However, I've seen this mediocrity play out. I'm a Flyers fan and I've seen it with mediocre goaltenders. You can have a championship club, but if the most important position on your team is treated like anyone off the street can play there and you have a chance of winning, you squander everything else. Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a championship caliber quarterback. Taylor Heinicke is not a championship caliber quarterback. Kyle Allen is not a championship caliber quarterback. Steven Montez is barely a practice roster quarterback. They need someone legitimate and while they might have been in on Stafford, it's also worth pointing out that Stafford is in his 30s, has a ton of miles on his body and is a legitimately banged up guy. That's what's scary about this club - they'll chase after the beaten up and broken down, but they won't take a chance on someone who needs a chance. Darnold could have been that guy. Now watch him go to Carolina and light it up under Ruhle and Brady.
First off, I get it.

Second off, there is a lot to unpack here.

Third off, I think we are mostly in the same place, however maybe from some different prism angles.

Personally, I’ve let the whole DanSkins thing go. I cannot fix any of it, so I either let it go, or I find a new team. I don’t mean that dismissively towards you, that’s where I sit on this (45 yr DC football team fan).

RR has done some things that anger me. I don’t like his insecure need to add everyone that he was with in Carolina. It’s never a recipe for success unless you’ve won it all before and are “bringing the band back together” type thing.

However our “lows” as a team are over for now. I don’t see the same despair being applicable to this group. Sure, it could happen. But the odds are finally against it. Seemingly.

There wasn’t a strong path to QB solutions this year. Not unless they gave up “massive” draft capital to do so. Look at that SF did, to simply move to 3....which is not exactly a spot I’d covet as a fan. Top 2 guys are gone, so you mortgaged your future (in a big way) for another question mark.

DC would need to give 19, 2 future firsts, PLUS something to get to 3 or 4 or 5. 12 is arguably a future 1st better than 19. So they should have done however many firsts (3?) to go from 19 to 3/4/5 for the 3rd/4th/5th best QB option in this draft?

I’m just not sure what you expected here

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I doubt it’ll happen but a QB could slip to the point where we don’t have to entirely mortgage the future to move up. Three QBs will be off the board in the first three picks but I see Atlanta and Detroit as wild cards. Do they go for QBs or build around their veteran guys? Will they trade out to a QB-needy team? Carolina just got Darnold, and then you wonder about Denver too. It’s entirely possible that four or five QBs go in the top seven picks but it’s possible that a QB slips out of the top 10, at which point you’re probably “only” looking at an extra first or maybe even a second to move up. The tough part is that the NFCE teams draft 10, 11, and 12 so a QB would probably have to fall to 13 in order for us to trade up for him since none of our division competitors are going to be excited about potentially letting us draft our QB of the future.

@BobbyClarkeFan16 I get your frustration but what would you like them to do? SF just gave Miami an RGIII-type haul and they were sitting at #12, so it would certainly require extra picks or players to do something similar for us. I was a big advocate for trading the moon for Watson but that’s not going to happen at this point. I wanted Dak but we never got a chance to negotiate with him. Fitz is the best short term fix they could have gone after, and now they need to figure out the future. I also have been critical of some of Ron’s decisions but I don’t really see what you’re so upset with when it comes to the QB position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad