OT: Washington Football Team 2020 Season Thread 12: Tank Commanders Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
So it four weeks we went from “he is my guy, we’re going to tough it out and help him grow.” To now benched with trade rumors.

I also heard Haskins “un-friended” the WFT, it’s so Snyder’s skins if true

If Ron Rivera has done one thing I support it's weeding out all the Bruce Allen-era douchebags.

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Notice that both Allen and Prescott got hurt "fighting for that extra yard," a trait that many football coaches still seem to lionize. I know the players are highly competitive and the distinction between success and failure can turn on that yard - and I'm not blaming the victims. But it's a very dangerous game - and I'm arguing for more tolerance for risk management. Like, it should be OK in the NFL of 2020 to step out of bounds to avoid contact, or go down early - we know too much about this game now to keep lauding the "he's the kind of guy who would give up his body" for the extra yard over sensible (or as sensible as you can be a split second before a violent collision) risk management.

Reactions: robertmac43

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Dak turned down a $175M contract offer, looking for more money. I feel bad for him, a little, but that was a mistake in hindsight. I doubt his next contract, coming off this injury, will be close to that.

yep....played the Cousins game and appears to have lost....we’ll see.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I understand what you're saying but I don't agree. Why should he have accepted a contract below market value and less than what he's worth? Why should he save money for his owner who is worth $9 billion? Would you accept a below-market value and long-term employment contract that locked you into one employer but one where they could fire you at will for no reason other than they think they can find a cheaper solution? The sums of money these guys are making are unfathomable to 99.99% of the world's population but that doesn't mean they should give these billionaires a discount just because it's a lot of money. As we've all seen, injuries can and do end or shorten careers in one play so I don't fault players at all for trying to extract maximum value as would any other person during a job offer negotiation, especially when they guys writing the checks are wealthier than them by several orders of magnitude and get to sit in a climate-controlled press box all game being waited on while the players are out there bashing each others brains in.

What we should be bemoaning is the franchise tag. It's garbage and allows owners to extract maximum value from players without having to commit to them. The franchise tag should turn into a three-year deal that's all guaranteed money in year one and that gives the player the option to extend or renegotiate the contract in years two and three. This would give the players some longer term security and incentivize the owners to either negotiate in good faith and pay the players what they're worth or let the player hit the market.

5 years, $175 mill, 100 guaranteed, 2nd highest average in the league I think I read.....

what exactly do you think his value is/was?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It sounds like Dak Will still be getting his second franchise tag in the off-season that’s still a hell of a lot of money

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I understand what you're saying but I don't agree. Why should he have accepted a contract below market value and less than what he's worth? Why should he save money for his owner who is worth $9 billion? Would you accept a below-market value and long-term employment contract that locked you into one employer but one where they could fire you at will for no reason other than they think they can find a cheaper solution? The sums of money these guys are making are unfathomable to 99.99% of the world's population but that doesn't mean they should give these billionaires a discount just because it's a lot of money. As we've all seen, injuries can and do end or shorten careers in one play so I don't fault players at all for trying to extract maximum value as would any other person during a job offer negotiation, especially when they guys writing the checks are wealthier than them by several orders of magnitude and get to sit in a climate-controlled press box all game being waited on while the players are out there bashing each others brains in.

What we should be bemoaning is the franchise tag. It's garbage and allows owners to extract maximum value from players without having to commit to them. The franchise tag should turn into a three-year deal that's all guaranteed money in year one and that gives the player the option to extend or renegotiate the contract in years two and three. This would give the players some longer term security and incentivize the owners to either negotiate in good faith and pay the players what they're worth or let the player hit the market.

The part I'd disagree with, and obviously opinions will vary on this, is that he turned down "below market value". IMO, 5 yrs $175M, which is what he turned down, which would have tied him for highest paid QB in the league, was in fact market value, IMO maybe even higher than market for a guy who had won only one playoff game. The contact he turned down would have tied him with Russell Wilson who just signed his deal, and Wilson HAS won a Super Bowl. I'm not alone in thinking the offer he turned down was fair, was market value.

According to Spotrac's market-value tool, Prescott is worth $33 million per year ($165.1 million over five years). In other words, the type of contract he reportedly turned down in September.

The reason he turned it down was he wanted 4 years, the Pokes wanted 5, so Prescott insisted that contract prevent the Pokes from franchising him when the deal expired - he wanted another big payday after 4 years. It wasn't necessarily about dollars per year. He wanted to gamble on his ability to land an even more massive contract in 4 or 5 years.

My point is, he just lost that gamble.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Notice that both Allen and Prescott got hurt "fighting for that extra yard," a trait that many football coaches still seem to lionize. I know the players are highly competitive and the distinction between success and failure can turn on that yard - and I'm not blaming the victims. But it's a very dangerous game - and I'm arguing for more tolerance for risk management. Like, it should be OK in the NFL of 2020 to step out of bounds to avoid contact, or go down early - we know too much about this game now to keep lauding the "he's the kind of guy who would give up his body" for the extra yard over sensible (or as sensible as you can be a split second before a violent collision) risk management.

I want my RBs and TE's to fight for that extra yard. I want my QBs and WRs to have the sense to get their asses on the ground and live to play another snap. There is some physics involved here, I think :)

Reactions: marcel snapshot

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

"It’s interesting because we went through training camp and gave him every rep with the [first team] in terms of trying to develop him and get him ready to go. Through the four games we didn’t see what we were looking for. I made the decision to go forward with Kyle [Allen] and Alex [Smith]," the coach said.

The coach also explained that he tried to be very positive when talking with and about Haskins early on this year in an effort to foster growth in the Washington offense.

"I know I was very positive because I was trying to build confidence in the young man not just for him but for his teammates," Rivera said.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Justin Herbert looks good. Skins could of traded back for him and a defensive player or WR\O-lineman in the first.

Reactions: EroCaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Philip Rivers is mega ass though

My brother and I joke about bonus coverage of Rivers and the Chargers mounting a furious, failed 4th quarter comeback every week. Now it's moved to Indy and is apparently more of a curse than whatever voodoo is behind the Browns choking, based on the doink-in FG.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Justin Herbert looks good. Skins could of traded back for him and a defensive player or WR\O-lineman in the first.
Well sure, but giving up on Haskins after 11 weeks of reps and 4 games is different than giving up on him after no reps or games and essentially no direct interaction with his new staff - that just wasn't going to happen. RR gave Haskins a chance, now he can move on from the DH experiment confidently.

Sure Hebert looks good. Put his WRs and OL on WFT and Haskins would look better also.

This is one of those situations where, the team didn't support DH well at all, but also DH didn't show professionalism, maturity and growth in the way that gave RR confidence to stick with him through his learning curve. Both sides share blame, but a decision has been made.. time to move on.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don’t think this is the end of Haskins . I think Coach Ron is trying to humble the cocky kid.

Its possible this is another test of DH from RR. But by early indications, he's failed. Un-following the team on social media? Pouting and not showing up to practice? Until proven otherwise, I'm not seeing any positive results or growth from DH out of this, just further confirmation that he's not the leader we need.

Joe Gibbs once said of Patrick Ramsey pouting about Mark Brunell being brought in to start, paraphrasing from memory: "If a little competition for playing time scares a QB, then the intensity of a 4th qtr down 7 with 2 minutes to play should terrify him. I want a QB who faces the toughest competition and rises to it."

In other words, strong leaders overcome adversity, like Alex Smith has done. Weak men shrink when things don't go their way, like DH is doing.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Losing over the next 3 weeks will go a long way toward landing a franchise QB.

Bring the suck!
Homer will lead the way.
tenor.gif

Reactions: EroCaps

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
My brother and I joke about bonus coverage of Rivers and the Chargers mounting a furious, failed 4th quarter comeback every week. Now it's moved to Indy and is apparently more of a curse than whatever voodoo is behind the Browns choking, based on the doink-in FG.
check the date

Reactions: g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad